Kalo

What will be the highest grossing film of 2018? (Dom)

What will be the highest grossing film of 2018?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will it be?

• Avengers: Infinity War
    • Han Solo
    • The Incredibles 2
    • Deadpool 2
    • Mary Poppins Returns
    • Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    • Dr. Seuss' The Grinch
    • Black Panther
    • Aquaman
    • Other

2 hours ago, langer said:

Next year's going to be another three 400M$ movie year.  We still have a good chance to beat the record this year. 

I'm thinking IW will win the year, although the last Marvel team ups couldn't crack 500M. 

IW has a bigger event feel than Age Of Ultron. 

• Like 2

This is a really tough one. I'm not going to vote just yet.

It really comes down to Infinity War or Fallen Kingdom for me, though. Just can't decide which. Han Solo is Star Wars, of course, but it won't be as big as TFA/R1/TLJ. Ahh, that depends on the trailer though. If people love the looks of it like they did after the Rogue One teaser, then who knows?

Edited by JB33

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

MCU Top 5 Dom in order of release

623 TA

409 IM3

460 AOU

408 CW

390 GOTG2

I think like CW (CA with the addition of IM) and IM3 were close,

IW (Avengers with the addition of GOTG) will end up close to AOU (+/- 20 for 440-480 dom).

Heh, 440-480 is exactly what I wrote down months ago.  I think it'll be on track for more but will get knocked down with the other big hitters that come later.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

For fun, I added in some commentary and reasoning.

Infinity War: $500M

While it will be heavily frontloaded, I have faith in the film delivering the goods. It's pretty much the big finale for everything built up since 2012, so Marvel fans are there Day 1. The D23 footage reportedly is insane in terms of scope and scale, begging even casual fans to catch it on the big screen. Add in an Avengers/Guardians crossover and three weeks all to itself (No Mad Max/Pitch Perfect/Angry Birds to steal showtimes and screens), and it'll be the second-biggest MCU flick.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: $450M

Legs for the first film were sexier than a Pratt-Dallas Howard-Goldblum threesome, showing audiences loved it, no matter what our dinosaur of an administrator would have you believe. It's hard to gauge much on this, as we don't have a plot summary available, but if it offers the same stuff audiences loved in the first Jurassic World, as well as up the stakes and potentially something fresh from the series, it'll be another humongous hit. And hey, maybe Goldblum will offer the magic touch he didn't give to Independence Day 2, and offer more #nostalgia. Although I think there will be a pretty big drop-off from World 1, as I don't see how Universal can replicate such a perfect storm.

Aquaman: $360M

With Han Solo still in the May slot, Aquaman is currently the big December tentpole, and this one seems like a clear winner, although obviously not as huge as Star Wars. From what little we've seen of his character in the Justice League promos, Momoa's take on the character looks like a real standout, where even if JL is not well-recieved, the character will still be a favorite for many audiences. Reportedly, the film's underwater setting is supposed to be gorgeous and something that needs to be seen on the big screen, so expect Wan and WB to get a lot of money, and legs sexier than a Momoa-Heard-DaFoe threesome.

Incredibles 2: $350M

A lot of people think this will blow up and go above $400M or even $450M, but I'm being slightly conservative. Finding Nemo was a cultural phenomenon, becoming the second-highest grossing film of 2003 and the highest-grossing animated film up to that point, with an adjusted gross crossing $500M, making it obvious why Finding Dory was such a huge success 13 years later. The Incredibles was another huge hit, but it wasn't anywhere near close to the cultural impact or cash cow Nemo was, adjusting to an amazing, but not bonkers $373M in today's tickets. But of course the film is still going to make oodles of cash. Nostalgia, superhero craze, a severe lack of family competition, likely fantastic reviews, etc. So it'll still be a big hit, but I'm hesitant in saying it will be as much of a success as Finding Dory was last year.

Han Solo: $340M

No matter what the behind-the-scenes drama will say, and no matter how pointless you think the movie will be, it's still a Star Wars movie. People are going to see the flick no matter what, and it will easily be in the top 5 highest-grossing films next year. But it's in a much different situation than its recent predecessors. No holiday legs, much more competition (I really feel Disney should have moved the movie to the first weekend of August instead of placing Winnie the Pooh there),  and while people will definitely be excited, it's a stretch to say people are as anticipated with the project as they were with the sequel trilogy or to a lesser extent Rouge One. So not as big as any of the other Star Wars flicks, but it's obviously going to be huge.

Black Panther: $335M

T'Challa was one of the highlights for Civil War and the reason why people were so excited to see it. Its teaser trailer made a huge splash online. It has an entire month to itself, with no major tentpole until Disney's own Wrinkle in Time comes out in March. It could very well be a cultural touchstone and an important flick for many people, particularly within the black community (#BlackPantherSoLit was trending once Civil War came out). Easily going to be the biggest MCU origin story.

Deadpool 2: $290M

When Deadpool came out, it offered a unique twist, combining superhero adventure with raunchy comedy and meta humor. It helped make the film stand out the fist time, but will the sequel be as much of an event as the first one? Even with the addition of new characters, it's unlikely people will return, unless there's something really fresh and exciting to the formula. I admit it's hard for me to really judge it, as we have no footage to work off of, but I don't know if lighting will strike twice, especially because Deadpool 2 has way more competition than its predecessor.

The Grinch: $285M

Aside from Cat in the Hat, The Grinch is likely Seuss' biggest and most recognized novel, especially with its adaptations. The Chuck Jones special is regularly watched every Christmas, and the Jim Carrey film was the #1 film in 2000. Putting together the massively successful Grinch brand with the uber-successful Illumination brand spells out big bucks for Universal. Kids and adults will love it, and it'll easily be another hit for Illumination's porfolio. It won't hit Secret Life of Pets levels though, because of how many family tentpoles there are eating at its dollars. But hey, I wouldn't be surprised if it's on the higher end of Illumination's box office grosses. Never doubt the company and its propaganda-level marketing campaigns.

Mary Poppins Returns: $270M

2018 will likely be a banner year for Disney, and Poppins will be the final hurrah for the studio. Similar to The Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins is one of those classics every family owns in some way or form, and is loved by all generations, still being a massive part of Disney history and pop culture. All of the footage or bits of information revealed have gone over extremely well and have made headlines among Disney fans, and it is the first major Poppins adaptation since the Broadway musical (I know there's Saving Mr. Banks, but it was only a tangential relation, so shuddup). With nostalgia, holiday legs, and being the most appealing option for families in the December timeframe, particularly with girls, it will easily be one of Disney's biggest hits in a year filled with big hits.

Great write ups, I generally agree with most of those predictions, really feel like Aquaman is set up to explode, epscially with that December release date. The only thing is think you might be a little conservative on is Han Solo. unless the film is awful I don't think it will fall much below $400m. 

10 hours ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

How many predicted Finding dory to be as big as it was? I think either han solo or JW. I think marvel has not  no 1 domestic  film since 2012 and top 2 since 2013. i think IW will be no 4. I2 3. Disney 3 movies, Uni 2 with grinch out of top 5.

And what makes you think The Incredibles 2 will be anywhere near as big as Dory? Goddamn, as a big Pixar fan, this frustrates me to see so many people blow their load with I2 expectations. Finding Nemo touched the zeitgeist and has a massive pop culture influence, not to mentioned it was waaaaayyyyy more commercially successful than The Incredibles. Incredibles, as big as it may have been, has never hit the ceiling of mass appeal the same way. The sequel will do great, but it's beyond comprehension that some people are expecting it to do Dory numbers or even 450M. The only thing it really has going for itself to hit those gigantic numbers is lack of competition...... to a certain degree (Hotel Transylvania 3 arrives a month later).

And btw, to anybody using the tired out excuse of "oh, it's the most anticipated Pixar movie ever", that's case only because... really, what was the most anticipated Pixar movie ever before this one? Toy Story 3? C'mon. Most Pixar movies are about wom explosions than pre-release hype waves anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

And what makes you think The Incredibles 2 will be anywhere near as big as Dory? Goddamn, as a big Pixar fan, this frustrates me to see so many people blow their load with I2 expectations. Finding Nemo touched the zeitgeist and has a massive pop culture influence, not to mentioned it was waaaaayyyyy more commercially successful than The Incredibles. Incredibles, as big as it may have been, has never hit the ceiling of mass appeal the same way. The sequel will do great, but it's beyond comprehension that some people are expecting it to do Dory numbers or even 450M. The only thing it really has going for itself to hit those gigantic numbers is lack of competition...... to a certain degree (Hotel Transylvania 3 arrives a month later).

And btw, to anybody using the tired out excuse of "oh, it's the most anticipated Pixar movie ever", that's case only because... really, what was the most anticipated Pixar movie ever before this one? Toy Story 3? C'mon. Most Pixar movies are about wom explosions than pre-release hype waves anyway.

Eh, just the release date. Thinking it will reach $440m. Animation has always surprised and beat SH movies either dom or WW in recent years.  And people are just telling their predictions here. I don't know why you got so agressive over it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Eh, just the release date. Thinking it will reach $440m. Animation has always surprised and beat SH movies either dom or WW in recent years.  And people are just telling their predictions here. I don't know why you got so agressive over it.

Yeah, I did get a little amped up, I apologize for that. But yeah, I..... I just don't see it. I think it's too optimistic for a sequel to a movie that, unlike a Shrek, a Finding Nemo or a Despicable Me, examples of animated films whose sequels exploded because they hit the zeitgeist, Incredibles has never done that and I don't want people to feel disappointed that a movie like it didn't match ridiculous heights. I would be massively thrilled if it did, but right now, I can't say I think it's gonna happen. I guess I'm being more defensive than agressive, but either is for the worst, so again, I'm sorry for that.

Also, for correction's sake, this year animation didn't beat any SH movies DOM - which is the point of this thread - apart from Despicable Me 3 going over Logan. That's the only instance.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yeah, I did get a little amped up, I apologize for that. But yeah, I..... I just don't see it. I think it's too optimistic for a sequel to a movie that, unlike a Shrek, a Finding Nemo or a Despicable Me, examples of animated films whose sequels exploded because they hit the zeitgeist, Incredibles has never done that and I don't want people to feel disappointed that a movie like it didn't match ridiculous heights. I would be massively thrilled if it did, but right now, I can't say I think it's gonna happen. I guess I'm being more defensive than agressive, but either is for the worst, so again, I'm sorry for that.

Also, for correction's sake, this year animation didn't beat any SH movies DOM - which is the point of this thread - apart from Despicable Me 3 going over Logan. That's the only instance.

Yeah I am bullish on the movie. I just wish for a upset like every year since 2012. Avengers, frozen(WW), JW, and in some way, FD and R1. And somehow if DP or grinch makes it in top 4, that would be awesome. After SLoP, I am counting illumination in this type of lists. If the three front contenders, IW, HS, JW makes it to top 3, it will be kinda boring.

And no worries man, I would not be disappointed if I2 did only $350m. ;)

• Like 1