Kalo

What will be the highest grossing film of 2018? (Dom)

What will be the highest grossing film of 2018?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Which one will it be?

• Avengers: Infinity War
    • Han Solo
    • The Incredibles 2
    • Deadpool 2
    • Mary Poppins Returns
    • Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
    • Dr. Seuss' The Grinch
    • Black Panther
    • Aquaman
    • Other

I'm just rooting for anything other than Avengers and Jurassic World, but assuming those two are not going below 400m and I bet at least one of them will be at least 40-50 million above that mark the only thing that makes any sense is Han Solo just because it's Star Wars.

Aquaman/Black Panther need to be even bigger breakouts than WW which probably won't happen even if they got rave reviews.

Grinch will have to almost match the attendance of the Jim Carrey 2000 movie which also looks very very hard.

I'm also not sold on Incredibles 2 being the behemoth that many people think it will be. The original did about the same as Monsters Inc. DOM (or less if you count inflation). If it gets the Monsters University "it's fine" reception it won't even hit 300m and even if it gets Dory reception or better I think it 'll top around 400m which won't be enough to beat both JW and Avengers.

Mary Poppins lol.

Infinity War

It's the safe and easy pic but will open huge and have enough legs to secure $450m+. I could even see $500m domestic. 

It's the finale(opener) of all finales in the last decade so it's going to be huge and on the heels of Black Panther which is also going to be a $250-300m film. In turn coming off of Thor: Ragnarok which is looking at $225-250m domestic. The brand will be on a hot streak and sitting well with moviegoers when IW debuts.

Everything else is second. Yes, there will be other $400m films but they will not get close enough to IW. I don't see them as having the same type of event feel to them at all. JW2 is a followup and middle chapter to a JW trilogy. Han Solo will be big cause....Star Wars and I'm thinking some SW fatigue begins to set in. The "need" to rush out to a new SW related film is losing steam.

My dark horse is Mary Poppins to upset some of the other films in the Domestic Race but not IW. Mary Poppins could be this years Jurassic World if it weren't for IW also being on the calendar. 

It just blows my mind that people still think Infinity War can do less than Ultron. Guardians 2 just did 390m by itself. Adding them alone would be enough to bolster past 460m, then you add in all the new other arrivals. The Marvel cinematic universe is like a TV show. Each movie an episode. Infinity War is the finale. Going to be huge

5 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

It just blows my mind that people still think Infinity War can do less than Ultron. Guardians 2 just did 390m by itself. Adding them alone would be enough to bolster past 460m, then you add in all the new other arrivals. The Marvel cinematic universe is like a TV show. Each movie an episode. Infinity War is the finale. Going to be huge

except isn't this not the finale? The "finale" is the one in 2019 right? 

• Like 1