Ezen Baklattan

Spaghetti Kitchen - Y1

Voltron: Defenders of the Universe - :sparta:

As per the comment by @Bastien about Jon Favreau being a poor fit for the material, I strongly disagree. The film's got a grand sense of fun and wonder akin to THE JUNGLE BOOK, the same action and thrills of IRON MAN, and even the fun character dynamics of ELF. And on a side note, I'm realizing that it has SO SO SO much in common in Spark Rising, down to the same run time, similar space epic settings with a massive diversity of alien species, a focus on strong characterization, dazzling visuals, a black British actor playing an alien thought to be the villain at at least one point in the movie, and more. Hell, I almost think it shares a similar problem - it does try to fit a bit too much into its already pretty big run time, but it's still a super fun ride even when the entire universe isn't perfectly clear, and the final action scene is beyond awesome. I definitely recommend it. Great job, @cookie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cookie said:

Well unlike Spark the black British guy is the villain in Voltron. And I have a British guy already lined up to play the baddie in the next one (though he's white this time).

Muchos gracias for the review.

That's why I said at one point; Naryani tried to trick Alex into thinking Ezen was the bad guy, lol.

And just to shake things up, we're gonna have a non-Brit bad guy next time around. :redcapes:

Just now, cookie said:

On the topic of fitting too much into one movie, I'm guessing it was the 

Hide contents

quintessence subplot

that did it in? My only regret with Voltron was that I didn't introduce it earlier.

Yeah, I get that it was hard to get a season into a movie; you did a good job, but even then it felt a bit long. Still really dug it, though :) Probably my second or third favorite of the year so far.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, spaghetti! said:

Yeah, I get that it was hard to get a season into a movie; you did a good job, but even then it felt a bit long. Still really dug it, though :) Probably my second or third favorite of the year so far.

There's a pretty big subplot in the first season cut from the film that I want to include in the sequel in some capacity, especially since it gives much needed character development to Hunk.

I'm looking forward to y'all reading my movies next year because then I'll be making a stab at original properties.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

JUNE: PART 1

Airframe - :apocalypse:

A fun, pulpy adventure wwith some well made intensity and a good deal of fun and great performances, even if it does veer mildly towards melodrama towards the end. I definitely enjoyed this one.

The Great White - :kitschjob:

Bay seems to have restrained himself to a more reasonable run time, and the scene of The Rock fighting a shark is almost worth the price of admission. The rest is fairly pedestrian and un-engaging, though.

Go-Bots - :wintf:

So it seems the $135m budget was half spent, at least, on the cast alone. Good lord. This is a fairly trite and uninteresting romp that way overstays its welcome and wastes the talent of its massive cast on an obscure and bland 80s toy property. Of course, the CEO of MV Pictures may have a photo of Matt Damon making out with a Shrek standee on his computer...

Lucky - :wintf:

An amusing premise brutally overstays its welcome, with Tom Hardy giving the most bewildering performance of his career (Why not cast, you know, an IRISH person as a Leprechaun?) and the plot turning into dull social commentary with 30 minutes tacked on to the ending. Skip.

Minnie's Treasure Hunt - :kitschjob:

Harmless family fare. Fun for kids, tolerable for adults.

4 minutes ago, spaghetti! said:

Of course, the CEO of MV Pictures may have a photo of Matt Damon making out with a Shrek standee on his computer...

Oh it's much worse than that, I assure you.

And don't even get me started on Will Smith...

Just now, Xillix said:

Oh it's much worse than that, I assure you.

And don't even get me started on Will Smith...

Will Smith literally showed up in the last third for a thankless supporting role, MV Pictures must images of him screwing a cat or something.

Rollercoaster - :apocalypse:

If you don't mind somewhat convoluted and silly plotting, it's a super fun ride *no pun intended* that offers a nice bit of summer thrills for adults. Bautista feels wasted in a bit role, even if his demise is gloriously demented.

The Yellow Wallpaper - :kitschjob:

I must admit this may have been an Apocalypse had I not seen mother! before this, but it ultimately feels like a "been there, done that" psychological horror with some fairly bizarre plotting (not in a good way) - at least it's more fun than watching paint dry.

Agents - :kitschjob:

A cheap Despicable Me knockoff that has paper thin characters and weirdly adult premises (nuclear weapons deals? In a kids' movie?!) That said, I doubt anyone over 12 would enjoy it much.

Sailing Champion - :kitschjob:

2003 called, it wants its movie back.

• Like 1

And that's the first half of Y1! My top 10 films so far:

Spoiler

10. Soma

Spoiler

9. Mirror's Edge

Spoiler

8. Seance

Spoiler

7. The SCP Foundation

Spoiler

6. Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills

Spoiler

5. Second to Singapore

Spoiler

4. Me and My Shadow

Spoiler

3. Voltron: Defenders of the Universe

Spoiler

2. Seeing Her

Spoiler

1. The Adventures of Scrooge McDuck

July reviews drop tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JULY

Apocamance - :wintf:

What starts as a promising first half and charming performances falls to shit when the jarring (and weirdly sexist) ending takes place. Usually Anna Kendrick showing up makes things better. Not here. How did this even cost $100m?

The Curse of Monkey Island - :sparta:

I disagree with Cookie - I think Tom Holland is a good fit for Guybrush - he has a youthful optimism yet naivete that feels in line with his character very well. I don't think, however, the film lets Wright play within his expertise, and it could have used some more stylish flairs under his watch. Even so, he can direct a mean action sequence, and the final act shows! A ton of fun, even if it's not quite the movie it could have been at times. I look forward to seeing what Guybrush does next.

The Beckinsville Files - :kitschjob:

Pretty forgettable, even if it does transcend some horror cliches, but it does manage to get some decent scares in.

Mile High - :wintf:

Okay....that was a random climax. What happened in the first 70 minutes? I don't care.

Dangerous Beauty - :wintf:

That moment when your editor is so ruthless, they cut out scenes that would have been integral to the plot, leaving us with this bizarre, incoherent mess.

Hive Havoc - :kitschjob:

Aside from the amusing Drake and Josh reunion (albeit with Megan being uncomfortably flirty), it's forgettable but inoffensive family fare. I feel like I've used that phrase before.

The Screaming Planet - :kitschjob:'

Maybe the most bizarre and unintentionally hilarious film of Y1 so far. The plot is so ludicrous and semi-nihilistic that the tragedies and disasters move to being comedic with their scale and frequency, but they eventually become dull. The planet has to scream to keep the audience awake.

AUGUST

Phone - :kitschjob:

Man, they got away with a lot with that PG-13 rating. It has some fun, pulpy moments, but I don't remember much about it looking back. Some moments also did veer into unintentional comedy.

Public Eye :wintf:

@Hiccup23, I am really, REALLY sorry about this. As soon as Ferguson was mentioned, I had a bad feeling about where this movie was going. The film had an interesting angle with Ben and Pete's relationship, but it gets quickly sidelined to ensure that James gets more time to shove his racism down our throats. I won't get into the perspective issue again, as Alpha and Cookie discussed, but it's even more baffling seeing how the director is black. Beyond that, it's just a melodramatic slog that offers nothing interesting and nothing worth really digesting. What exactly were we supposed to take away from this? Are we supposed to feel bad for James once he quits? The ending just peters out, especially with John Boyega's Ben, a high point of the movie, being completely shat on and virtually absent from the final 40 minutes. A good movie could have been made from here, but it mistakes compromising completely different systems as a false equivalence for nuance and is frankly dead on arrival. But....it has good sound design? Not the worst film of the year, but definitely the most aggravating and disappointing.

Flowers for Algernon - :insane:

I was one of the biggest champions of the film back in CAYOM 2.0, and I'll tell you that it's still fucking great. A truly wonderful and thought provoking adaptation in every sense of the word. Fantastic job @Alpha. (I do agree that the r-word needs to change, but I'm just going to assume there's no way Special Needs Advocacy groups would let it be released like that)

An Apple a Night - :apocalypse:

A surprisingly decent family adventure that parents may actually enjoy, it might be the closest thing this generation has to THE GOONIES. Maybe not quite as good, to say the least, but it's a decent time. Also fun to see Mr. Peabody and Sherman reunited.

Dino-Riders - :kitschjob:

Maybe the 80s property adaptation fatigue is starting to get to me. I liked it partially, but it felt like we've gotten our fill of titles like it this year. 

Ninja 3D - :kitschjob:

Does the director realize ninjas are Japanese? And the director is Korean? Either way, fuck it. It's still not a bad time, even if you might wanna be a bit sloshed to watch it.

The Space Pirates - :sparta:

Between this, Voltron, and Spark Rising, this is the summer of wild space operas. I for one, am LOVING it. This one, unlike the two I mentioned, plays a lot more loose and informal, and it gives a nice change of pace. It's a very fun time, and the ending is a hoot, a bleak fake-out worked even better than the tattooed alien thing. It's definitely a fun time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love how it's a race to the bottom with Public Eye:

Xillix - "This movie is pretty good."

Alpha - "Nah, it's not very good. It's got the wrong perspective."

Ethan - "I think it's worse than that."

Me - "Yeah it's leaning on the side of pretty bad."

Spaghetti - "You're all wrong it's a real piece of shit."

Edited by cookie
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, cookie said:

I love how it's a race to the bottom with Public Eye:

Xillix - "This movie is pretty good."

Alpha - "Nah, it's not very good. It's got the wrong perspective."

Ethan - "I think it's worse than that."

Me - "Yeah it's leaning on the side of pretty bad."

Spaghetti - "This is a real piece of shit."

AWW, now I feel bad for Hiccup. If I started the downward trend, sorry dude.

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 1