kayumanggi

Wednesday Numbers: 7.9 M IT

6 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Shit you know WB is going to milk this for all it's worth. Probably get a trilogy of It films. It Chapters 1,2, and 3. A couple prequels, and a couple spin offs.

if they use Sony's marketing acumen, WB already know what to name the films

IT

IIT

IIIT

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

300 is the floor for this imo

I know it is a completely different scenario, but I am keeping an eye on Man of Steel.  It was at 128.7 after its first weekend, and 210.1 after weekend #2.  It should be at the same mark of 210 after weekend #2.  There could be a chance it finishes at 291 like MOS but I certainly hope not!  This is the one thing that has been distracting me from 300M thinking.

• Like 1

I think IT will have a great run, and that it should get to $300m eventually. But even if IT opened higher than Spider-Man: Homecoming, it might show us how great that run was by falling a bit short of what Homecoming is doing when it's all said and done. 

IT opening weekend was $123.4m, while Spider-Man: Homecoming was $117m. IT is already pacing below Spider-Man: Homecoming at same period of time, despite opening bigger:

IT first Wednesday: $7.9m for a $151.5m total

Spider-Man: Homecoming first Wednesday: $9.9m for a 154.1m total

That's not a slight on IT, it's doing amazing for a horror film, but it does show that what Spider-Man: Homecoming pulled it off was actually more hard than most people here were able to realize - I mean, outside me, @TwoMisfits, @Zakiyyah6 and a few others - at the time. 

I think IT will get somewhere around a 2.5-2.6 multiplier, for 308-320m dom total (high end prediction). Not a bad result at all, especially considering its budget and being a Rated R film. 

2 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I think IT will have a great run, and that it should get to $300m eventually. But even if IT opened higher than Spider-Man: Homecoming, it might show us how great that run was by falling a bit short of what Homecoming is doing when it's all said and done. 

IT opening weekend was $123.4m, while Spider-Man: Homecoming was $117m. IT is already pacing below Spider-Man: Homecoming at same period of time, despite opening bigger:

IT first Wednesday: $7.9m for a $151.5m total

Spider-Man: Homecoming first Wednesday: $9.9m for a 154.1m total

That's not a slight on IT, it's doing amazing for a horror film, but it does show that what Spider-Man: Homecoming pulled it off was actually more hard than most people here were able to realize - I mean, outside me, @TwoMisfits, @Zakiyyah6 and a few others - at the time. 

I think IT will get somewhere around a 2.5-2.6 multiplier, for 308-320m dom total (high end prediction). Not a bad result at all, especially considering its budget and being a Rated R film. 

IT is behind because Spidey had summer weekdays

• Like 7

1 minute ago, XO21 said:

IT is behind because Spidey had summer weekdays

Right...the big test to It will be how high its weekends can be, b/c its weekdays will lag the summer-legged movies...we should expect smaller weekend drops and lesser weekdays throughout its run...this weekend and next weekend should be big indicators of how big the legs can be (it should have a chance to hold well through Halloween and then fall off a cliff:))...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

I know it is a completely different scenario, but I am keeping an eye on Man of Steel.  It was at 128.7 after its first weekend, and 210.1 after weekend #2.  It should be at the same mark of 210 after weekend #2.  There could be a chance it finishes at 291 like MOS but I certainly hope not!  This is the one thing that has been distracting me from 300M thinking.

If IT is on 210 cume by Sunday, then this is how they will have reached the targets:

Thu + OW + Mon-Sun (7-day)

12 + 116.6 + 81.5 = 210.1

0  + 123.4 + 86.6 = 210.0

81.5 is 70% of 116.6

86.6 is 70% of 123.4

So both movies will have shown similar legs 1st Friday onward. You are right that 300 is not a lock and it could do 290+. If IT shows a 59% drop for 51m 2nd weekend and 210m 10-day cume then that's a huge drop outside summer (cause weaker weekdays) but I think a drop closer to 55% and 215m is likely and that extra 5m extrapolated over rest of the run should with ease take it north of 300m.

• Like 1

By the way, Spider-Man: Homecoming's run keeps to quietly impress, while most turn a blind eye on it. Spidey made $233,482k last Tuesday, -6% from last Tueday's $248,359k, and made $171,846k this Wednesday, -3.1% from last Wednesday's $177,324k. And while I have to applaud Sony for not dropping the theater count too much this next weekend (weekend 11):

10 9 Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony / Columbia 1,436 -221 -13.3% - - - - 11

It makes me go freaking nuclear that they are actually EXPANDING The Dark Tower. Yes, you read this right:

12 16 The Dark Tower Sony / Columbia 1,235 +287 +30.3% - - - - 7

So Spider-Man: Homecoming is about to break a Marvel Studios record that used to belong to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1, which is theater counts leftovers. Homecoming is heading to weekend 11 with 1,436 theaters, while Vol. 1 went to the weekend 11 with 1,291 theaters left. All 14 other MCU movies had under 750 theaters left at this point, 12 out of those 14 even had under 400 theaters left.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

By the way, Spider-Man: Homecoming's run keeps to quietly impress, while most turn a blind eye on it. Spidey made $233,482k last Tuesday, -6% from last Tueday's $248,359k, and made $171,846k this Wednesday, -3.1% from last Wednesday's $177,324k. And while I have to applaud Sony for not dropping the theater count too much this next weekend (weekend 11):

10 9 Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony / Columbia 1,436 -221 -13.3% - - - - 11

It makes me go freaking nuclear that they are actually EXPANDING The Dark Tower. Yes, you read this right:

12 16 The Dark Tower Sony / Columbia 1,235 +287 +30.3% - - - - 7

So Spider-Man: Homecoming is about to break a Marvel Studios record that used to belong to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1, which is theater counts leftovers. Homecoming is heading to weekend 11 with 1,436 theaters, while Vol. 1 went to the weekend 11 with 1,291 theaters left. All 14 other MCU movies had under 750 theaters left at this point, 12 out of those 14 even had under 400 theaters left.

The Dark Tower is probably heading to the 2nd runs (while still staying in a few 1st runs)...Spidey is probably being held away from them, so it's actually probably a net good thing...

EDIT TO ADD: Just checked my 2nd run - they ARE getting Dark Tower and Nut Job 2 - Spidey has still not made it there, yet:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The Dark Tower is probably heading to the 2nd runs (while still staying in a few 1st runs)...Spidey is probably being held away from them, so it's actually probably a net good thing...

EDIT TO ADD: Just checked my 2nd run - they ARE getting Dark Tower and Nut Job 2 - Spidey has still not made it there, yet:)...

It's kinda crazy. Homecoming's last weekend was 2.06m. I could see this weekend going for something VERY close to that, and anything above $1.7m this weekend would guarantee $330m for Homecoming by this Sunday. With Homecoming being the superhero movie with most theaters until Thor: Ragnarok and Justice League, I could honestly see Homecoming slowly crawling to $336m.

• Like 1