kayumanggi

Wednesday Numbers: 7.9 M IT

Just now, Noctis said:

Yes, you're right...the pace SMH has achieved is unlike anything the box office world has seen. 

No, it's nothing unprecedented. Wonder Woman, Guardians Vol. 1 and Iron Man had better legs. But when it comes to Marvel Studios entries box office legs, Homecoming ranks high on that list. What might be unprecedented is what it does worldwide, but that's still up for grabs so far. 

4 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

No, it's nothing unprecedented. Wonder Woman, Guardians Vol. 1 and Iron Man had better legs. But when it comes to Marvel Studios entries box office legs, Homecoming ranks high on that list. What might be unprecedented is what it does worldwide, but that's still up for grabs so far. 

What is unprecedented about its gross worldwide?!

Holy fuck. You can say it did very well, but calling it UNPRECEDENTED is ridiculous and hyperbolic to the extreme.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 6

Just now, Noctis said:

What is unprecedented about its gross worldwide?!

Holy fuck. You can say it did very good, but calling it UNPRECEDENTED is ridiculous and hyperbolic to the extreme.

Right now? Nothing. If it does end up above Spider-Man 3, it will be the first time a reboot becomes the highest grossing film of a franchise. That's quite unprecedented, I guess. Especially within the superhero genre. That's not gonna be easy to happen though. 

SMH doing over SM3 wouldn't be unprecedented. H1, H2, and H3 all did better than the first two LoTR films.

SMH doing higher than SM3 with China, expanding markets, a decade of inflation, and 3D is really not unprecedented by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

SMH doing over SM3 wouldn't be unprecedented. H1, H2, and H3 all did better than the first two LoTR films.

SMH doing higher than SM3 with China, expanding markets, a decade of inflation, and 3D is really not unprecedented by any stretch of the imagination.

Yeah buwha?

H1 and H2 aren't reboots, just like the Star Wars prequels aren't reboots or The Force Awakens and Jurassic World aren't reboots. They are either sequels or prequels. I'm not the only one calling that, many are. Claiming that isn't happening is the same that saying that Wonder Woman isn't the 5th highest grossing superhero film of all time. It is. With inflation, both Civil War and Iron Man 3 would have grossed more, but if we keep going with inflation and adjusted numbers all the time, what is even the fun on that? 

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Even if IT finishes with "just" $300m, it will be infinitely more impressive than SMH. A Spider-Man movie within the MCU and Iron Man plastered all over the marketing versus a 2h15 horror movie opening in September...

Come on. 

So now we're acting like the book and tv mini-series weren't massively popular? 

Edited by DlAMONDZ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

Even if IT finishes with "just" $300m, it will be infinitely more impressive than SMH. A Spider-Man movie within the MCU and Iron Man plastered all over the marketing versus a 2h15 horror movie opening in September...

Come on. 

Yes, no comparison. Beginning of the year, 95% of folks would have had IT below 150 dom and SMH over 250 dom.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

It is ahead of IT. And yes, it's because the Summer weekdays - and the fact that it's a four quadrant PG-13 film. Are you for real trying to deny that? Because honestly, regardless how much you say that $300m is the floor, I wouldn't say that. I'm not saying it's the high end either, what I'm saying is that right now what I'm seeing is somewhere between $295m and $325m, which is freaking insane for a horror film. We will see how much ahead of Homecoming IT will be after this weekend, but I predict that this will be the last weekend that it'll top that film. IT will probably start pacing below Homecoming by its third weekend, in my opinion. But hey, you're the box office expert that said at the same period of time that Homecoming would gross under $300m, so what do I know? :rolleyes:

I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you jack.  I also predicted Spiderman to make 320 million in May.  And I have my summer game prediction to back it up.  And I never claimed to be some kind of box office expert, but my predictions are mostly better than yours.  :sparta:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you jack.  I also predicted Spiderman to make 320 million in May.  And I have my summer game prediction to back it up.  And I never claimed to be some kind of box office expert, but my predictions are mostly better than yours.  :sparta:

Not a pissing contest. But if you predict that it's going under $300m and will also go to $320m then you can't really be wrong if you have several answers, isn't it? I'm projecting on both Homecoming and IT after having initial data. It's different than guesstimating months prior to its release. That's just guesstimate and not really too much of a science on that. But let bygones be bygones and all that. :redcapes:

Edited by iJackSparrow

3 hours ago, Noctis said:

Forget it, Noctis. It’s iJack.

Just now, Matrix4You said:

@iJackSparrow

Do you ever play the Derby?  Spidey is still going strong in the derby for week #11.  What do you think it will do this weekend?

I played today. I'm thinking 1.6m-1.7m for Spidey and 47.8m-49.8m for IT, aka a similar second weekend drop from Homecoming if you take away the previews. 

• Like 1