WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

Source: Deadline

CBS/Lionsgate’s American Assassin grossed $915K last night in previews at 1,949 locations. The Dylan O’Brien-Michael Keaton counterterrorism pic moves to 3,154 sites today. American Assassin‘s Thursday night is right in line with its comp, which is John Wick which made $815K in previews and posted a three-day of $14.4M.

Tracking has American Assassin in the $12M-$15M range, while one rival estimate believes the movie will outperform that with an upper-teens take. Paramount also has the Darren Aronofsky genre twister motherstarring Jennifer Lawrence in 2,368 theaters. Paramount will be reporting preview figures soon.

But the real story is New Line/Warner Bros.’ It which put up weekday figures that the month of September has never seen before: Monday ($8.76M), Tuesday ($11.4M), Wednesday ($7.9M) and Thursday ($7.2M). All of the obstacles we’ve mentioned before about the autumn box office — that it’s the start of the school year, the start of NFL — just throw those excuses out the window, for It clearly shows that product rules. The Andy Muschietti-directed movie is bound to hook another all-time record again as it notches the best second weekend that September (and potentially even October) have ever seen at the domestic box office as analysts are predicting a three-day in the $50M-range.  To date, the biggest second frame in September belongs to Sony Animation’s Hotel Transylvania 2 with $33.2M. In October, the second best frame belongs to Gravity ($43.1M). To date, It has accumulated $158.7M, and without a doubt will clear $200M this weekend joining other rare-air horror pics as The Exorcist ($232.9M). With the exception of The Exorcist, It has essentially beat all previous text book horror films. When you start getting up in the $200m range, there’s a bunch of tentpole horror-hybrids, i.e. suspense-horror The Sixth Sense ($293.5M), Jaws ($260M), Will Smith’s sci-fi zombie pic I Am Legend ($256.4M) and Brad Pitt’s World War Z ($202.4M).

Just like It‘s ticket sales have exploded, so has its social chatter.  The Stephen King pic’s social media universe across Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Facebook has jumped 31% over the last week from 273M to 357M. Per social media monitor Relish Mix, the increase is overwhelmingly driven by YouTube views, which were at 226M in last week’s report. So, It has gained 82M new YouTube views in a week.

Seems headed for an opening of around 13M, I would say. It did better than John Wick on Thursday but Dylan O'Brien's fanbase probably makes it more frontloaded.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

1 minute ago, Alli said:

ok from deadline:  John Wick which made $815K in previews and posted a three-day of $14.4M.

but JW had good WOM through the weekend.

Yeah, that's the kicker. The audience score was at 69% earlier but is now at 70% (likewise mother! went from 52 to 53), which is a bit weak for a film like this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, that's the kicker. The audience score was at 69% earlier but is now at 70% (likewise mother! went from 52 to 53), which is a bit weak for a film like this.

That's pretty good. surprised tho...it has some awful reviews on letterboxd. i guess the target audience is enjoying it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alli said:

That's pretty good. surprised tho...it has some awful reviews on letterboxd. i guess the target audience is enjoying it

AA basically only appeals to old conservatives (some of the stuff in the film sounds REALLY xenophobic). The action crowd has Kingsman next week, and older audiences have that and - your favorite - American Made. I'm not expecting legs higher than a 2.6 or 2.7x

Edited by WrathOfHan

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

AA basically only appeals to old conservatives (some of the stuff in the film sounds REALLY xenophobic). The action crowd has Kingsman next week, and older audiences have that and - your favorite - American Made.

so my UNDER 45 club has a good chance of happening. :ph34r: