WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

That one truly baffles me. The film wasn’t even one of those “ahead of its time” kinda deals. People loved it when it was released. My guess is it was helpe by people watching screeners and home video releases, I don’t know anyone that saw it in cinemas. I know I probably couldn’t handle the film being as long as it is.

My other guess is simply Cinemascore failed when it came to the polling of the movie.

Lot of older audiences were disgusted by the debauchery

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I remember liking Killing Them Softly. The marketing was completely different from the movie I got, tho.

It and Killer Joe both made my original Top 5 of 2012 as I recall. So grimy crime movies with Kill in the title had a good year that year

• Like 2

I remember the marketing campaign for The Devil Inside, it was a really really good campaign put together by Paramount. Then it turned out the only actual scenes of horror in the movie were already in the trailer, the creepy nun from the poster only appears for a second in the movie as someone the heroine walks past in the movie, she has as much screen time in the movie as shown on the poster

v1.bTsxMTE2ODkzMjtqOzE3NTQ0OzEyMDA7ODAwO

and best of all, the movie had no ending, it asked people to go to some website to read about the ending. 

The marketing campaign worked though, but only on OD, it might be the only movie to earn a third of its money on OD (maybe Friday the 13th in 2009, but that is a special circumstance)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

It and Killer Joe both made my original Top 5 of 2012 as I recall. So grimy crime movies with Kill in the title had a good year that year

But It only came out this year.

I'm here all week, folks.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

and best of all, the movie had no ending, it asked people to go to some website to read about the ending. 

But it REFLECTS THE MESSINESS OF REAL LIFE grim. these filmmakers are true, authentic artists

according to co-writer Matthew Peterman “Sometimes real life doesn’t follow a perfect structure. Things aren’t always wrapped up and resolved when or how you’d like them to be."

• Haha 2

Killing Them Softly was kinda shitty.  I only heard about it after the all the hoopla about the F cinemascope and people hating on it so I wasn't a victim of misleading marketing(misleading marketing can DIAF though).  Its pretty much just a boring and very on-the-nose movie.

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

But it REFLECTS THE MESSINESS OF REAL LIFE grim. these filmmakers are true, authentic artists

A way better ending would have been to cut out the "Visit this website" thing. That would at least reflect the messiness instead of ending the movie with a "Smash the like button and subscribe for more" message.