WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

3 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Is the movie really THIS bad or are these nasty reviews being posted by J-Law haters?

Depends who you talk to. Some like me think it's a masterpiece while others think it's one of the worst movies of all time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Is the movie really THIS bad or are these nasty reviews being posted by J-Law haters?

I think it has more to do with the oddness of the film and the decision to release it wide. Sure, it is marketed as a horror film, and maybe it is not. But I don't see that as a major problem. I think the real issue is that it is an arthouse avant-garde film being pushed into 2,400 theaters. If this was a limited release in LA, NYC, SF, etc. No fucks would be given. But the fact that people in San Antonio and Omaha are seeing this is the issue. Avant-garde film is a different art form than normal wide release movies, so I think that is where the massive disconnect is.

Edited by Lestranger

It's interesting to look at Letterboxd's breakdown for mother! It's currently at a 3.6/5, and the community's opinion is pretty close to critics:

69% gave it 3.5 stars or higher, which is usually the positive range (31% gave it 4.5 or the full 5)

15% gave it 2.5 or 3 stars, typically mixed ratings

16% gave it 2 stars or below

Compared to the typical audience scores like RT and Google, this is slightly better given the cinephile nature of the site. Even among film buffs it's proving to be a divisive film.

For fun, let's look at AA, which is currently a full point lower at 2.6/5 and has much fewer ratings:

20% gave it 3.5 stars or higher

40% gave it 2.5 or 3 stars

40% gave it 2 stars or below

Again, not a perfect match with what the GA thinks, but it isn't too far off given the amount of mixed ratings. If you want to mark the 3 star ratings as positive, that area goes up to 61%.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

She's not the one that's been getting the negative reaction -  Aronofsky is.  And the marketing.

Yep.

"5 Words! I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!! One of the absolute worst movies I have ever seen!!! The trailers ran over and over for this movie and implied that this was a psychological horror type movie. IT IS NOT! It is a *edited* film that is at times a relentless *edited*! The 1st half of the movie is very slow (whole movie is actually) and bizarre and you're trying to figure out the story line. *Reviewer then totally understands plot - but I won't write it here because spoilers*. I have no words. It'll be a long while before I pay money to go to the movies. The whole advertising was very deceptive. I would have never gone to see this movie."

"Potential at its worst. This movie had the potential to make it to a "Black Swan" level but unfortunately there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Fragments of a good film can be seen amongst the chaotic scenes that lead nowhere. A complete and utter disappointment despite the exceptional acting skills of Jennifer Lawrence."

"This was the most disappointing movie I've ever seen. The storyline was obtuse to the point of ridiculousness. I made the mistake of selecting the movie as a Jennifer Lawrence fan, I won't make that mistake again."

The Flixster score just keeps dropping. Down to a 47%.

Just now, somebody85 said:

Yep.

"5 Words! I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!! One of the absolute worst movies I have ever seen!!! The trailers ran over and over for this movie and implied that this was a psychological horror type movie. IT IS NOT! It is a *edited* film that is at times a relentless *edited*! The 1st half of the movie is very slow (whole movie is actually) and bizarre and you're trying to figure out the story line. *Reviewer then totally understands plot - but I won't write it here because spoilers*. I have no words. It'll be a long while before I pay money to go to the movies. The whole advertising was very deceptive. I would have never gone to see this movie."

"Potential at its worst. This movie had the potential to make it to a "Black Swan" level but unfortunately there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Fragments of a good film can be seen amongst the chaotic scenes that lead nowhere. A complete and utter disappointment despite the exceptional acting skills of Jennifer Lawrence."

"This was the most disappointing movie I've ever seen. The storyline was obtuse to the point of ridiculousness. I made the mistake of selecting the movie as a Jennifer Lawrence fan, I won't make that mistake again."

The Flixster score just keeps dropping. Down to a 47%.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

giphy.gif

Pulled from an infinitely better movie. Sorry I love watching people hate on this thing. It deserves it after that marketing campaign.|

I can't get my 2 hours or $15 back but I surely can get a lot of enjoyment out of knowing that a lot of other people loathed that experience as much as I did. I feel their pain.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

Just now, aabattery said:

With the way some people are acting, you'd think that mother! is just a remake of Jurassic Park III.

That's because mother! is an allegory for the Jurassic Park franchise INCLUDING Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

I think it has more to do with the oddness of the film and the decision to release it wide. Sure, it is marketed as a horror film, and maybe it is not. But I don't see that as a major problem. I think the real issue is that it is an arthouse avant-garde film being pushed into 2,400 theaters. If this was a limited release in LA, NYC, SF, etc. No fucks would be given. But the fact that people in San Antonio and Omaha are seeing this is the issue. Avant-garde film is a different art form than normal wide release movies, so I think that is where the massive disconnect is.

It stars Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer and is directed by Darren Aronofsky. How in the world would this not go wide? You got two Oscar winners and two other actora who are nominated for Oscars Plus in oscar-nominated director. There's no way this is going to be some small little Art House film that college kids with ponytails and stickers on their laptop that say save the whales, were going to be the only patrons of. This was always going to be a wide release.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

"If I rented this at Red box for a $1.50 I'd break the disc in half so no one could watch it after me."

This reminds me of one of my favorite Amazon reviews

"If you decide to buy this CD, wait patiently by the mail box till it arrives. Upon arrival, quickly open the box, then pull the security tape from the jewel case. Open the jewel case and place the CD in one hand. Break the CD in half, then slit your wrists with the remaining shards. As you begin to die look at your reflection in the mirror-like surface of the broken CD, and ask your self what you were thinking when you ordered this CD!"