WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

Just now, somebody85 said:

And when does mother lose it's certified fresh rating? Down to 70% now....are they waiting for 4 more reviews from top critics? I think this is the second time this has happened this year with RT jumping the gun because I remember Annabelle: Creation being certified fresh too before that massive wave of reviews came in that brought it down.

If they do change it, they are going to have to edit some articles.

It has to dip below 69.5% (since they round up) after it's been Certified.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Huh okay, was just curious since it seems like it rarely happens. Doesn't seem fair to movies that are in that 70% - 75% range though. That's a weird system.

The Editor said they usually hold off Certification if it looks like it's possible to drop but it happens. 

I remember Halba  Hasan hounding them to certify Interstellar as soon as it hit 75%.     They waited a bit but then finally did it even as reviews were still heavily coming in - and then right after it dropped but not enough to lose that hard pushed for by Halba Hasan Certification.  :lol:

Edited by TalismanRing

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The Editor said they usually hold off Certification if it looks like it's possible to drop but it happens. 

I remember Halba hounding them to certify Interstellar as soon as it hit 75%.     They waited a bit but then finally did it even as reviews were still heavily coming in - and then right after it dropped but not enough to lose that hard pushed for by Halba Certification.  :lol:

Whoa whoa whoa...

Let's not deprive Hasan Ahmad of his credit here. He fought the good battle.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

I remember Halba hounding them to certify Interstellar as soon as it hit 75%.     They waited a bit but then finally did it even as reviews were still heavily coming in - and then right after it dropped but not enough to lose that hard pushed for by Halba Certification.  :lol:

Hah then it actually fell below that but never lost it - currently at 71% (but that sounds like Nolans fans). Wow, I never knew the system worked like that and have followed RT since the early 2000s. I figured all films that were CF were a certain percentage or higher. I didn't know that once it fell below that range that it couldn't lose that rating unless it fell even further. I always thought CF was 70% too.

46 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

It stars Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer and is directed by Darren Aronofsky. How in the world would this not go wide? You got two Oscar winners and two other actora who are nominated for Oscars Plus in oscar-nominated director. There's no way this is going to be some small little Art House film that college kids with ponytails and stickers on their laptop that say save the whales, were going to be the only patrons of. This was always going to be a wide release.

Well, the actors involved don't change the tone or syntax of the film. Solaris stared George Clooney after all. It scored an F on CinemaScore. I blame the studio 100%. Any decent risk manager would look at this script and put a huge x over it. No fucking way are we releasing this wide. The problem is that Paramount probably doesn't have any risk managers so it goes to the producers and executives. Releasing this film wide was an absolutely terrible decision. Not only will it hurt the studio. It will scar Aronofsky's and Lawerence's careers. Bardem gets a pass because he plays weirdos. Harris and Michelle are too established to be harmed. This is an art film and it should only be in an arthouse theater. The film nerds and intellectuals like it. The masses are repulsed. That is why it should have never played wide.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Well, the actors involved don't change the tone or syntax of the film. Solaris stared George Clooney after all. It scored an F on CinemaScore. I blame the studio 100%. Any decent risk manager would look at this script and put a huge x over it. No fucking way are we releasing this wide. The problem is that Paramount probably doesn't have any risk managers so it goes to the producers and executives. Releasing this film wide was an absolutely terrible decision. Not only will it hurt the studio. It will scar Aronofsky's and Lawerence's careers. Bardem gets a pass because he plays weirdos. Harris and Michelle are too established to be harmed. This is an art film and it should only be in an arthouse theater. The film nerds and intellectuals like it. The masses are repulsed. That is why it should have never played wide.

Jennifer Lawrence has won an Oscar with 3 additional nominations under her belt. How is this going to hurt her career?

Likewise, I don't think Aronofsky will be affected much. He was originally set to direct a Batman film after Requiem for a Dream and The Wolverine after Black Swan. Studios know what kind of films he makes, and he's expressed interest in doing more mainstream stuff. If he wants to do a mainstream blockbuster as his next project, I doubt he'll have trouble getting it picked up.

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Jennifer Lawrence has won an Oscar with 3 additional nominations under her belt. How is this going to hurt her career?

Likewise, I don't think Aronofsky will be affected much. He was originally set to direct a Batman film after Requiem for a Dream and The Wolverine after Black Swan. Studios know what kind of films he makes, and he's expressed interest in doing more mainstream stuff. If he wants to do a mainstream blockbuster as his next project, I doubt he'll have trouble getting it picked up.

It won't hurt JLaw as an actress but it may hurt her as a box office star. The whole point of being a box office star is to get people into the theater based on your name. If people show up for a JLaw movie and have a nasty experience that may hurt her draw in the future. That's probably the reason why big name box office stars stay clear of highly controversial and divisive movies.

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The Aronofsky Batman movie is lucky it was developed when the internet messageboards were in their infancy. His take on Batman would have never got off the ground now instead of almost reachin production. Just changing Alfred to a black mechanic named Big Al would have triggered so many flame wars.

58 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

12 is like the worst possible age to watch mother! I didn't start getting into films aimed at adults until I was about 12 and a half, and even then I wasn't watching stuff like mother! probs because there WAS nothing like mother! 

What? 

• Like 1