WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

Both openers this week have bad release dates to be honest. AA contending with Kingsman next week (losing all of its potential audience) and mother! against It. I don't know what the studios were thinking. If they pushed AA to Labor Day weekend, and left mother! In Oct. they probably could have gotten bigger openings. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 2

Just now, Blankments said:

Gonna start doing weekly updates for you, @WrathOfHan:

Reveal hidden contents

:cloud9: 

Both releases this week finished at 7 times for me:

American Assassin (47 Meters Down, Baby Driver, Apes, Big Sick, Detroit, Wind River, Good Time)

mother! (Dunkirk, Detroit, Annabelle, Logan Lucky, The Dark Tower, Good Time, It)

12:

Kingsman (GOTG, King Arthur, Alien, Baywatch, Baby Driver, Spider-Man, Apes, Dunkirk, Atomic Blonde, Logan Lucky, The Dark Tower, It)

8:

Flatliners (Baby Driver, The House, Annabelle, Logan Lucky, Hitman’s Bodyguard, Wind River, It, mother!)

7:

Blade Runner 2049 (Alien, Baby Driver, Valerian, Dunkirk, Detroit, It, mother!)

Daddy’s Home 2 (Transformers, Baby Driver, The House, Despicable Me, Apes, Wish Upon, Girls Trip)

Thor: Ragnarok (GOTG, GOTG IMAX, The Mummy, Spider-Man, Valerian, Wish Upon, Atomic Blonde)

6:

Star Wars (GOTG, GOTG IMAX, POTC, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Dunkirk)

5:

LEGO Ninjago (LEGO Batman, Boss Baby, Captain Underpants, Cars, Despicable Me)

4:

American Made (The Mummy, Dunkirk, Detroit, Logan Lucky)

Geostorm (Kong, POTC, 47 Meters Down, Big Sick)

Happy Death Day (47 Meters Down, Wish Upon, Annabelle, It)

Murder on the Orient Express (The Mummy, It Comes at Night, Apes, Wish Upon)

Pitch Perfect 3 (Baby Driver, Despicable Me, Big Sick, Girls Trip)

3:

Coco (BATB, Gifted, Cars)

Friend Request (47 Meters Down, Wish Upon, Annabelle)

Jigsaw (Annabelle, It, mother!)

The Mountain Between Us (Detroit, Girls Trip, Annabelle)

Only the Brave (Dunkirk, Detroit, The Dark Tower)

The Snowman (Atomic Blonde, Wind River, mother!)

Suburbicon (Atomic Blonde, Wind River, mother!)

Wonder (POTC, Cars, Despicable Me)

2:

Black Panther (Valerian, The Dark Tower)

Death Wish (Detroit, It)

Ferdinand (Captain Underpants, Cars)

The Greatest Showman (The House, Despicable Me)

Justice League (Wonder Woman, Dunkirk)

Polaroid (Wind River, mother!)

Professor Marston (Spider-Man, The Dark Tower)

The Shape of Water (Apes, mother!)

TYLER PERRY’S BOO 2! (Girls Trip, Hitman’s Bodyguard)

Woodshock (A Ghost Story, Good Time)

1:

Spoiler

1:

Alpha (Hitman’s Bodyguard)

Bad Moms (The House)

Battle of the Sexes (Wind River)

Brad’s Status (Logan Lucky)

Breathe (Logan Lucky)

The Current War (Wind River)

Darkest Hour (Atomic Blonde)

Downsizing (mother!)

The Foreigner (Detroit)

Home Again (Logan Lucky)

The Killing of a Sacred Deer (Good Time)

My Little Pony (Captain Underpants)

Olaf’s Frozen Adventure (Cars)

Proud Mary (Girls Trip)

Ready Player One (It)

Thank You for Your Service (The Dark Tower)

Three Billboards (Good Time)

A Wrinkle in Time (Valerian)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

In industry screenings maybe but it will be long out of theaters by then.

Yes, we are in the era of IP and Brand being king but star power of course still exists.  It's a matter of marrying the right star to the right film though.  Though even with a mismatched star can still bring in more people to the box office in the same role as a non star.   Even in the height of star power it never trumped genre or whether or not the film was audience friendly films.   Hardly anyone paid to see Cary Grant in his working class drama when he was the #1  one star in an industry filled with stars.   Tom Cruise was the biggest star of the 90s -  Magnolia did $22m - a fraction of  Mission Impossible II or Jerry McGuire.     DeCaprio can currently push almost anything - except J Edgar Hoover

But I consider Magnolia more of an Indie movie & he was nominated for an Oscar for it so it worked out - thought that was one of his best roles - wish he would do more like that.

15 minutes ago, Alli said:

This was a hard movie to sell. Why Par decided to distribute it is a mystery. Bad decision

They probably thought that by opening wide that it would generate a lot of reactions, and would give the ability for people curious about those reaction to be able to see it right away (because week after it would be too late, it would not sustain those), not a bad hail mary choice to be honest.

No strategy would have had a safer probably to work than this probably, once movie like are estimated to have no award season platform release possible, studio do not know what to do with them for a reason, there is almost no place for a small first wide weekend to grow into something in today world.

2 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Both openers this week have bad release dates to be honest. AA contending with Kingsman next week (losing all of its potential audience) and mother! against It. I don't know what the studios were thinking. If they pushed AA to Labor Day weekend, and left mother! In Oct. they probably could have gotten bigger openings. 

There was no excuse for the poor scheduling.  No hindsight required.   They left the last half of August dead.  They hurt theater owners and damaged the chances of their movies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

why do you hate J-Law?

I don't. i think she's a good actress. and she has a strong presence on screen which is why she's a big star. But she plays characters that are too old for her and she feels miscast. just my opinion

Edited by Alli

9 minutes ago, Catty said:

But I consider Magnolia more of an Indie movie & he was nominated for an Oscar for it so it worked out - thought that was one of his best roles - wish he would do more like that.

Sure, it was successful for it's niche and that it brought him acclaim.  It's just an example though of "star power" that drives enormous ticket sales not transferring to all projects.  (I edited my original post since it sounded like I thought the actors weren't right for the roles which is what I meant)

Cary Grant's  None but the Lonely Heart  got him an Oscar nom as well (I think his only which shows what a wrong headed snob the Academy has always been about performances in non dramas) and yet it lost money.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

I am really shocked that a film that is described as the most insane, intense, controversial, divisive and viscerally disturbing films in recent memory is not doing blockbuster numbers. :P

I think if mother! gets a few key Oscar nominations it will have succeeded. Then we will see what the future holds. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alli said:

I don't. i think she's a good actress. and she has a strong presence on screen which is why she's a big star. But she plays characters that are too old for her and she feels miscast. just my opinion

Wasn't Katniss supposed to be too young for her? I smell a trap. All the characters she plays will be too this or too that until she hits 35 at which point she will allegedly be too this or too that.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Maybe the studio smelled a flop and dumped Mother in September.

Either that or they needed to add another two exclamation points (Mother!!!).

Supposedly they moved it up because Darren didn't want his movie spoiled for general audiences. 

• Like 2

Just now, straggler said:

Wasn't Katniss supposed to be too young for her? I smell a trap. All the characters she plays will be too this or too that until she hits 35 at which point she will allegedly be too this or too that.  

This. If people want to nitpick they'll nitpick. Not just about Jlaw but overall. Look at Star wars TFA. It's too derivative but parts that are different from expected are too not-derivative-enough. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

mother! was always going to be a tough sell but TBH I wonder if the whole secretive campaign may have hurt it than helped it.

Hollywood should stop doing these dumb secretive campaigns, people generally want to know what kind of movie they will be watching.

Only JJ Abrams has gotten away with this kind of marketing in recent years.

Edited by Mojoguy

I'm in for the IT ride this weekend...I've been reading a few threads and see people all over the place, even in weekend 2, which should be expected since IT is in the "unprecedented" category, and when you hit this category, predicting using the "same old, same old" data points kinda goes out the window...

Someone should have made a club about the weekend like we had all those WW clubs earlier this summer for weeks 2, 3, 4:)...it would have made a good club, if the boards are anything to go by (and for the record, I'm probably in the middle between some of the really low and really high predicts for the weekend...but I could see almost anything happening)...