WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Runtimes without credits and attachments for next week:

LEGO Ninjago: 1:32 (there's a 3 minute gap between the start of the credits and crawl, so there's probably a mid-credits scene). Attachments unknown.

My guess is a wacky song/music video like LEGO and LEGO Batman

• Like 1

Just now, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Why does it deserve to crash and burn? Serious question. 

A. It's sold on a complete lie. If a character closing the fridge to reveal another character standing on the other side is your idea of horror then this movie might be for you.

B&C aren't spoilers but they may impact the viewing experience for some, and I'm not that comfortable leaving them open on this thread.

Spoiler

B. Trying to take the stories that inspired the movie and coating them with a 'new' aesthetic is lazy as hell at this point, I've seen these stories told through musicals, Hip-Hop, Pop, modern day settings, office settings, urban settings, etc. The idea is juvenile, everybody has probably thought about doing something similar upon introduction to the material, similar to how everyone has had the thought "what if superman was evil" at one point in their life.

C. The movie is super predictable as a result of using these stories. 

D. Nothing presented to me was new, fresh, or thought provoking. This is the laziest film I've seen this year, and the worst I've seen since Suicide Squad. 

• Like 2

Honest question. How many are wanting Mother to fail for the sole purpose it stars Lawrence and not based on the marketing, opinion of the movie itself, etc. Either way I've never understood why anyone would want any film to crash and burn. Sure there are films I flat out hate but that doesn't mean I root against them at the BO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AJG said:

Thats what the fanboys said when Warcraft was released.

Watched it recently, the first hour is basically one long exposition dump. I'm guessing they needed to include everything so the game fans don't get angry or something. It wasn't a bad movie, it was just way too forgettable, I am struggling to remember what the plot was despite the exposition dump.

That does seem to be a trend in movies now, The Mummy and TF5 both stop the plot in the second act to give us tons of exposition. The Brendan Fraser movie gives the exposition as part of the plot instead of stopping the plot to explain things to us, it's like movies can only do one or the other at a time now. An article I read attributed this to foreign markets where you need to spell out everything as English isn't the native language.

• Like 2

I meant to expand upon the PostTrak numbers earlier:

AA: 67% positive, 43% definite recommend

mother!: 51% positive, 33% definite recommend

65% of the people who liked mother! would definitely recommend it while 64% of the people who liked AA would definitely recommend it. Despite more of AA's audience giving that film a positive rating than mother!'s audience did, their definite recommendation scores from the amount of people that were positive on the films are on par with each other. Neither release is likely to have particularly strong legs, but I'm curious if their legs are closer than anticipated.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

THB's late showing at my theater got cancelled for another AA. Additionally, an early afternoon show of THB and night show of Wind River have been canned for more AA tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the showing of mother! in 6 minutes has only sold 10 seats :ohmygod: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1