WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I think you can appeal to both without straying to either camp. Pixar and WDAS do it brilliantly as do Studio Ghibli and Aardman. 

Studio Ghibli does make films that are specifically in adult nature, but in their case it helps that adult animation is more respected in Japan, then compared to the west, even with all their "big cash-cow" franchises, of which they have plenty. 

1 hour ago, Nova said:

I would be shocked if it didn't get a sequel, to be honest. It's clearly going to be profitable for Lionsgate and even if a sequel decreases a bit, if they keep the budget modest, they'll have another profitable film. 

The Hitman's Bodyguard Has Fallen 

• Like 1

Really strong second weekend for It. It's already just a tiny bit outside of the top ten domestic R-rated films ever, and it will easily ascend to fourth by the end of its run. There's enough competition on the horizon that I'm skeptical as to whether it can land near American Sniper's third place gross, but the fact that such a high ceiling is in play speaks to what a phenomenon the film has been so far.

American Assassin had an okay opening. I know it's based on a bestselling book, but it looks so generic - and faced such massive competition from It - that the opening certainly could have been worse.

mother! had a tepid debut, but a weak performance was inevitable given the nature of the film itself and the dominance It had over much of the potential audience. It may seem like Paramount will pay dearly for selling an avant-garde arthouse horror flick as a mainstream jump-scare piece, but I imagine it wouldn't have crossed double digits if they had platformed it and then took it wide a few weeks later (or at the very least, its PTA would have been abysmal).

Really good holds across the top ten. I'm especially impressed with how well Annabelle: Creation has held up in the face of It's incredible breakout (Aside: yes, it feels really wrong to use an apostrophe on a possessive it, but this is a unique circumstance.) and Spider-Man: Homecoming's continued late legs.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 75livesinDerry said:

:P

yeah but it's probably just me though

Nah, I actually forgot till you brought it up as well. Big box office, no pop culture imprint until Emma Watson's singing will be rediscovered and put alongside Russell Crowe and Pierce Brosnan's singing talents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Hanna Barbera made a lot of cartoons and while you had gems like Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, Yogi Bear etc there is a lot of stuff that didn't age well at all and many of their shows were copies of stuff that was successful. The Jetsons which I liked was just the Flintstones set in the future and Scooby had many copies where kids and a sidekick solved mysteries. 

Looney Tunes at least was funny and while not everything hit, it did provide great laughs. 

"Copy" cartoons was pretty standard back then actually. Much easier to clone the same formula, especially when TV couldn't provide easy and good animation either. 

Looney Tunes was also for adults originally technically, so the classic cartoons stand-up much better as a result. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No one told you to talk about them or like them.

But it would be nice If you did respect the people that have a different opinion than you do and are free to express it.

As someone in the animation industry, Illumination films are also just bad for Illumination's constant bragging about its lack of rewrites and the fact that they have such disrespect for American animators that they talk about how they can pay overseas people less and still make lots of money by outsourcing our jobs.  Most other companies also outsource our jobs but at least they don't brag about it in front of us.

Illumination's numbers come primarily from their marketing and the fact that they can flood the market several months in advance and put their movie merch out half a year before the movie release on everything under the sun.  They had SLOP stuff all over petstores and Minions all over the place well before the movies came out.  It'd be more surprising if they opened low, frankly.  They do just enough with the story that people generally don't dislike the movies but never do anything particularly interesting.

Also they utterly fail at the concept of making relatable main characters and most of their main characters are people I would want to punch if I met them in real life. The fact that Seth McFarlane's character in Sing has no redeeming qualities yet still gets rewarded in the end is one of the worst things I've seen in a movie.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 6

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Nah, I actually forgot till you brought it up as well. Big box office, no pop culture imprint until Emma Watson's singing will be rediscovered and put alongside Russell Crowe and Pierce Brosnan's singing talents.

We've been getting a lot of these lately, interesting phenomenon, Jurassic World, Finding Dory, Beauty and the Beast etc....

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

We've been getting a lot of these lately, interesting phenomenon, Jurassic World, Finding Dory, Beauty and the Beast etc....

Was discussing this with @Squadron Leader Tele the other day. He attributed this to the fact that these owe their existence to something which already was a pop culture phenomenon. So they coast on that instead of becoming their own thing, secondary wave riders.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I have no problem with pro-diversity issues.

The problem is that they somehow happen to be in every single movie existing. They are overused. That's the problem.

It's like every movie is  "I am different I am strong I am gonna follow my own path".

"I'm different, I'm strong, I'm going to follow my own path" IS common in storytelling but newsflash, that's not PC or pro-diversity storytelling if the main character is a straight white guy like in 90% of the films with that plot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also, while there's nothing wrong with animation for kids, saying that animated movies are trying too hard to be serious overlooks the fact that animation is a medium not a genre.  You can use animation to tell serious stories, in fact in much of Europe and Asia that's fairly common.  It's only here in America that people seem to think seriousness in animated stories is somehow a weakness.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sal said:

Also they utterly fail at the concept of making relatable main characters and most of their main characters are people I would want to punch if I met them in real life. The fact that Seth McFarlane's character in Sing has no redeeming qualities yet still gets rewarded in the end is one of the worst things I've seen in a movie.

See, I found that refreshing (having watched literally 100+ animated movies at this point)...it was like giving kids a lesson in real life - sometimes the "a$$hole" doesn't get what's coming to him and gets to have a happy ending...

I mean, we've had tons of movies where bad things happen to good people in animated movies...not as many where at the end, good things happen to bad people...I was surprised they went there, but I think it worked for the movie...

7 minutes ago, Sal said:

Also, while there's nothing wrong with animation for kids, saying that animated movies are trying too hard to be serious overlooks the fact that animation is a medium not a genre.  You can use animation to tell serious stories, in fact in much of Europe and Asia that's fairly common.  It's only here in America that people seem to think seriousness in animated stories is somehow a weakness.

As someone who watched a lot of Anime, the phrase "Animation is for kids" was always funny for me. I wouldnt show a 6 year old something like Attack on Titan or Elfen Lied.

34 minutes ago, Sal said:

As someone in the animation industry, Illumination films are also just bad for Illumination's constant bragging about its lack of rewrites and the fact that they have such disrespect for American animators that they talk about how they can pay overseas people less and still make lots of money by outsourcing our jobs.  Most other companies also outsource our jobs but at least they don't brag about it in front of us.

Illumination's numbers come primarily from their marketing and the fact that they can flood the market several months in advance and put their movie merch out half a year before the movie release on everything under the sun.  They had SLOP stuff all over petstores and Minions all over the place well before the movies came out.  It'd be more surprising if they opened low, frankly.  They do just enough with the story that people generally don't dislike the movies but never do anything particularly interesting.

What I see is potentially the most brilliant studio out there. If they can make as much or even more than the others with half the budget they do a very good job and there is no need to change their formula.