aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Joon-Ho and Baumbach look the most solid (reviews + TIFF runner ups). Tarantino looks solid. The rest is up for grabs. 

I think Joon-ho could pull a win if his direction is amazing. Director branch really goes for wow direction. They are the least political voters as far as I could see. if your work is average and someone else's is wowzer even if his/her movie isn't timely/topical/etc, they win full stop. 

1917's one shot gimmick is certainly going to win the voters. The academy loves gimmicks. If even Adam McKay got nominated for his terrible editing gimmicks for Vice, don't see Mendes failing to get a nom. And a Scorsese crime thriller seems like a sure bet for a nom unless it gets bad reviews. Both movies seem to be in much better position for Best Director. 

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

There's really only one spot in Actress that I don't think is locked. McKenzie could get in but I think Awkwafina and Theron are probably more likely. 

Don't see it getting Director either unless The Irishman underwhelms.

Awkwafina’s acting career is off to a heck of a good start.

I think Jojo has pretty reasonable hollywood award chances given that it's won the popular vote so people clearly enjoy the movie. Anyone desiring to be seen as Woke will support this rubbish so it'll probably do well in certain areas.

Although, that being said Green Book was un-woke and it won last year so who fuckin knows.

Edited by Avatree

10 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I think Jojo has pretty reasonable hollywood award chances given that it's won the popular vote so people clearly enjoy the movie. Anyone desiring to be seen as Woke will support this rubbish so it'll probably do well in certain areas.

Although, that being said Green Book was un-woke and it won last year so who fuckin knows.

so how the fuck it got trashed by Indiewire if that's the case? You can't be more woke than that site.

There's no woke conspiracy or whatever. It's a feelgood movie and people loved it. It made them laugh, it tug at heartstrings like any movie where love wins and characters are wide eyed kids. That's all that is. 

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

so how the fuck it got trashed by Indiewire if that's the case? You can't be more woke than that site.

What are you talking about? Indiewire rarely lets their critics' political beliefs affect the review, Ehrlich loved The Mule. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

There's no woke conspiracy or whatever. It's a feelgood movie and people loved it. It made them laugh, it tug at heartstrings like any movie where love wins and characters are wide eyed kids. That's all that is. 

Huh? David Ehrlich has never been one of those woke feminist types. He is brutally honest.

44 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I've set off a monkey paw somewhere so that this ends up in the awards race but has this discourse in the process.

The only way to avoid “this discourse” now is to make a movie with nothing to say ;)   

Spoiler

And even that is no guarantee :ph34r:

I'd say I'm impressed the Disney conspiracy theorists haven't been out in full force claiming that they bought out this award (it's their movie now, after all) but I guess complaining about how woke Twitter/SJWs are out to ruin everything or whatever has replaced that as the in thing these days.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'd say I'm impressed the Disney conspiracy theorists haven't been out in full force claiming that they bought out this award (it's their movie now, after all) but I guess complaining about how woke Twitter/SJWs are out to ruin everything or whatever has replaced that as the in thing these days.

they would look very dumb as this award is voted by the audience in TIFF (which is in the thousands).