aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

Doing a search for weekend showtimes for AMC, it seems like Jojo is getting quite a good expansion this upcoming weekend comparable to Parasite's expansion. Most major US cities are getting it back in multiple theatres in various screen sizes from small to medium. I'd say 600-800 theatres seem likely for this weekend. 

I'm very happy to see the studio make a play for re-expansion after the 6 Oscar noms. It's a wonderful film. 

With digital release in early Feb, and DVD release not until end of February, I'm really hoping this one can ride the awards wave to a 30m+ total. 

Edited by VanillaSkies
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I liked it well enough, but this is the worst of the nominees. Another Green Book if it wins. 

I don't see how it could win tbh. 
There are too many films more likely to get it for various different reasons. Taikai wasn't even nominated for Best Director, which signals it was not one of the stronger nominees. 

Having said that, I truly think the message of the film is so necessary in the world we are currently living in. 

Johannson's character pretty much sums up the good that is still in people, and the hope that never dies. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I liked it well enough, but this is the worst of the nominees. Another Green Book if it wins. 

imo my ranking of the nominees (my personal pick not deserved of winning)

1917 - amazing, technically perfect, engaging story

Marriage Story - didn't cry more in a movie in... years

Jojo - pretty unique compared to everything else out

Little Women - delightful

Ford v Ferrari - no chance in hell winning but its a damn (pun intended) good ride

Joker - too much has been said about this movie

Parasite - I don't think the themes were as profound as the film thought they were, but it's still great and Bong should win director if not Mendes

Hollywood - good hangout movie and the ending is awesome but I just don't think it's deserving over the other nominees

Irishman - zzzzzz (okay okay, it's a good movie and the ending is powerful but I had my problems with the entire second act)

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

49 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Ford v Ferrari - no chance in hell winning but its a damn (pun intended) good ride

Parasite - I don't think the themes were as profound as the film thought they were, but it's still great and Bong should win director if not Mendes

Hollywood - good hangout movie and the ending is awesome but I just don't think it's deserving over the other nominees

Irishman - zzzzzz (okay okay, it's a good movie and the ending is powerful but I had my problems with the entire second act)

Parasite

Ford v Ferrari

Irishman

Hollywood

Little Women

Joker

Jojo Rabbit

Jojo is mildly moving, but otherwise a fairly predictable, unremarkable movie. 

• Like 2

Finally got around to seeing it, and I thought it was amazing. Sincerely doubt it’ll win best picture but it’d be a deserving winner.

How can you possibly say it was un-creative? Maybe technically, but from a story telling standpoint it was fantastic.

Edited by Wrath

21 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Finally got around to seeing it, and I thought it was amazing. Sincerely doubt it’ll win best picture but it’d be a deserving winner.

How can you possibly say it was un-creative? Maybe technically, but from a story telling standpoint it was fantastic.

Critics thought the movie was dangerous.

On 1/16/2020 at 6:47 PM, DAJK said:

I agree with just about all of this, though I still need to see Little Women and Marriage Story.

• Like 1

Personally, I have yet to see 3 of the 9 BP nominees: Jojo RabbitParasite and Little Women. The first two I couldn't see because they never came to my local but at least I'll be able to watch them on digital just in the nick of time for the Oscars. LW, we'll see. It's still playing at my theatre but there are too many other movies that take precedence and I'm not able to see many.

Last thought: I’m surprised Rachel House wasn’t in it. I thought Rebel Wilson was good as Fraulein Rahm , but House is in a lot of Waititi’s work and the part feels written for her.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Personally, I have yet to see 3 of the 9 BP nominees: Jojo RabbitParasite and Little Women. The first two I couldn't see because they never came to my local but at least I'll be able to watch them on digital just in the nick of time for the Oscars. LW, we'll see. It's still playing at my theatre but there are too many other movies that take precedence and I'm not able to see many.

Little Women is definitely worth the trip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Little Women is definitely worth the trip

I'll second that. It's such a lovely film, consisting of wonderful performances, and a excellent period setting. Definitely a film from 2019 that's really stuck with me in a good way. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2

With only an 8.9% drop from last weekend and further expansion next weekend according to Deadline (into some premium formats to boot!), it appears that this will cross the 30 million mark in the end, and might even hit 35 million before it's DVD release at the end of February. 

Taika Waititi’s Jojo Rabbit expanded to 1,160 theaters to help bolster its Oscar run, and added an estimated $1,367,000 to Fox Searchlight’s box office bank, to bring its cume to $25,942,000. It will further expand next week as it will open in nearly 25 AMC Dolby and large format theatres across the US, including the AMC Century City in Los Angeles and New York’s AMC Lincoln Square and the AMC Empire 25.

Smart move on the studios part, as it's been doing near sellout shows in Lincoln Square and Empire 25 over the past two weekends. The demand is definitely there in that market, so moving it the PLF screens at the theatres during a weekend when nothing of note is opening is a wise move. It could very well increase next weekend even with the Superbowl on Sunday.