Jump to content
aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

Recommended Posts

 

Quote

Shortly after Disney's planned acquisition of most of 21st Century Fox was announced, Johansson was at a dinner for Disney board members with some of her Avengers castmates and Disney executives. "The Disney execs were saying, 'We're excited about Jojo.' They had just acquired it," she says. "I said, 'How is that going to be?' Because Searchlight's made quite a lot of subversive films. It's harder and harder to try to find a home for something that's more off-color or subversive and push the limit. I thought, 'There's no way Disney would bring [Jojo Rabbit] out. ... This doesn't belong to that [Disney] family.' " Johansson's tablemates reassured her, she says, pointing out, "Whether it's Pixar or Marvel, the most important thing is when Disney acquires a company that's working, they let the studio continue to have their own style. The creative freedom of that studio stays, the DNA of the studio stays intact. Ultimately when Jojo Rabbit went over [to Disney], it didn't make any difference, which was cool. Because I was worried that maybe it would." In fact, Disney is so bullish on Jojo Rabbit that CEO Bob Iger will host a private screening of the film as part of its Oscar campaign in a show of his support for Fox Searchlight.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This looks like a film that will make $17m total 

to be fair, that's more than any non-MCU Taika movie. Even though I think he's great, his movies are pretty niche, and I wouldn't expect this to break out hugely (domestically at least). 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

@filmlover

 

omg...  That article.

 

image0.gif

 

So that's how ScarJo wants to run her Oscar campaign. All right.  Good to know.

...she's just saying what she was told about her movie, as well as promoting her project. I get you don't like her, but...she's just doing her job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eric! said:

...she's just saying what she was told about her movie, as well as promoting her project. I get you don't like her, but...she's just doing her job.

Did you read the *rest* of the article? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

ScarJo being problematic as usual..

 

Ugh I hope she doesn’t ruin Driver chances of a nomination in Marriage Story :facepalm:  

 

 

She's more likely to sabotage her chances at a nom (or two) than his.

 

Gonna be hilarious if both of these movies hit the Oscar jackpot and she gets double snubbed in the end. Don't think so though. I think she gets nominated for Marriage Story still but comments like the Allen stuff are definitely gonna kiss any chance of her winning bye bye.

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

ScarJo being problematic as usual..

 

Ugh I hope she doesn’t ruin Driver chances of a nomination in Marriage Story :facepalm:  

 

 

Ehhh, I doubt it’ll affect Driver at all. ScarJo looks like the easy front runner rn, especially since Judy’s reviews aren’t glowing outside of Renee. Driver already has Phoenix, Banderas, Pryce, DiCaprio and Sandler (please let this happen if he’s as good as they say), and other possible contenders like De Niro and B. Jordan who haven’t been screened yet

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TMP said:

ScarJo looks like the easy front runner rn, especially since Judy’s reviews aren’t glowing outside of Renee.

We still have Harriet, Bombshell, and Little Women waiting to be screened in terms of Best Actress contenders. Too early to call anyone a frontrunner yet.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

We still have Harriet, Bombshell, and Little Women waiting to be screened in terms of Best Actress contenders. Too early to call anyone a frontrunner yet.

 

I agree. For all we know, Saiorse Ronan could get an "it's her time to win" narrative for Little Women because she's been nominated three times and hasn't actually won yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TMP said:

Ehhh, I doubt it’ll affect Driver at all. ScarJo looks like the easy front runner rn, especially since Judy’s reviews aren’t glowing outside of Renee. Driver already has Phoenix, Banderas, Pryce, DiCaprio and Sandler (please let this happen if he’s as good as they say), and other possible contenders like De Niro and B. Jordan who haven’t been screened yet

She’s gonna ruin her chances of a win with those statements. I just hope she doesn’t bring down the rest of the movie with her. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

ScarJo isn't being problematic. She's just giving honest, confident answers, whether we agree with her or not. Her opinions don't have to fit in a nice little box that society dictates. She stands by Woody Allen not because she stands by a pig, but because she believes in his innocence. So...let her.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

ScarJo isn't being problematic. She's just giving honest, confident answers, whether we agree with her or not. Her opinions don't have to fit in a nice little box that society dictates. She stands by Woody Allen not because she stands by a pig, but because she believes in his innocence. So...let her.

 

I think you've got a point. If she didn't believe in Allen's innocence, I'm sure she'd be long gone like all the others in Hollywood.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SLAM! said:

 

I think you've got a point. If she didn't believe in Allen's innocence, I'm sure she'd be long gone like all the others in Hollywood.

Exactly. Likewise for myself. I'm not going to crucify the man because the media - and the masses - tell me to. I don't have the facts. I appreciate Scarlett's confidence in having her own opinions and not giving a shit what people think. Most celebrities don't have that kind of confidence even though they're...well...celebrities. Most feel they have to tow the company line, so to speak.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

So...let her.

I think -- at least for me -- the WTF moment is the Oscars is a campaign.  You don't win the award because you're the best.  You will because you're the best with the best campaign.  Joan Crawford made an art out of it.

 

The Acting Categories are voted on by the Acting Bloc.  Your peers need to like you.  There's no better example of this than Judy Garland losing to Grace Kelly in 1955.  Moreover, the Oscars will (usually) always go with the safe choice, a winner who won't cause distractions or pull focus away from the Prestige of the Award.  

 

ScarJo kicking off her Oscar Campaign with "I Love Woody Allen" won't play with some of her peers.

 

It has nothing to do with if her comments are right or wrong, or if she believes them or not.  It's just bad campaigning.  Those are the types of comments you say after you win the award. 

 

As Eric pointed out, yes, I don't like her.  So, I guess we agree.  If she wants to run her campaign this way: "Let Her."

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.