aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

21 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i hate this "anti-hate satire" tagline too. might as well change the tagline to "please don't get mad at me". i get that we're all morons but give us a little credit jeez.

You should see Twitter... there are people who are mad at the movie for featuring fascists "even if it is a satire" and others being mad at it romanticizing Hitler as if Watiti has accidentally created a pro-Hitler movie or something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

You should see Twitter... there are people who are mad at the movie for featuring fascists "even if it is a satire" and others being mad at it romanticizing Hitler as if Watiti has accidentally created a pro-Hitler movie or something.

This sounds worse than the Joker discourse. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah, well, you should.

But then would that mean Avengers: Endgame is Best Picture this year?

(And yes, of COURSE, you should.  There's many, many, many things in life that should be that way that aren't.)

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

But then would that mean Avengers: Endgame is Best Picture this year?

(And yes, of COURSE, you should.  There's many, many, many things in life that should be that way that aren't.)

It just seems weird to me to enforce the bullshit of campaigning/image being more important than quality because "that's the way it is". It doesn't need to be. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

It just seems weird to me to enforce the bullshit of campaigning/image being more important than quality because "that's the way it is". It doesn't need to be. 

I'm not a member of the Academy.  I can only prepare myself yearly for their nonsense.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

I think -- at least for me -- the WTF moment is the Oscars is a campaign.  You don't win the award because you're the best.  You will because you're the best with the best campaign.  Joan Crawford made an art out of it.

The Acting Categories are voted on by the Acting Bloc.  Your peers need to like you.  There's no better example of this than Judy Garland losing to Grace Kelly in 1955.  Moreover, the Oscars will (usually) always go with the safe choice, a winner who won't cause distractions or pull focus away from the Prestige of the Award.  

ScarJo kicking off her Oscar Campaign with "I Love Woody Allen" won't play with some of her peers.

It has nothing to do with if her comments are right or wrong, or if she believes them or not.  It's just bad campaigning.  Those are the types of comments you say after you win the award. 

As Eric pointed out, yes, I don't like her.  So, I guess we agree.  If she wants to run her campaign this way: "Let Her."

I agree with you here. This is all the more why I admire her confidence. She's not going to play the game, even if you need to do that when it comes to the Oscars. She's just going to be genuine and let the chips fall where they may. I guess I like it because that's the way I live my life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

We still have Harriet, Bombshell, and Little Women waiting to be screened in terms of Best Actress contenders. Too early to call anyone a frontrunner yet.

Black twitter finds Erivo super problematic and they aren't forgetting her comments made millennia ago. Scarlett's comments will have no impact by the time first nominations start to drop but BT is not letting Erivo off the hook and are gonna make waves if she becomes a factor in the Oscar race.

Point being, there are more Oscar hopefuls with  so-called problematic statements that can be dusted off at any moment and used against them, and they are also not types to be intimidated into suddenly saying docile, agreeable things.  :popcorn:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think there's a lot of people in hollywood who lowkey agree with scarjo but won't say it. so maybe it won't affect her awards chances idk.

is the key as is the low key disagree. Movies succeed for low key agreement and don't for low key disagreement. People who feel the room well know how to hide what they really think if the room temperature doesn't connect but they make a difference where it matters (voting). 

Sometimes actors say something that doesn't become a ( social media) thing but the industry low key disagrees (usually when they criticize a colleague or movie they worked on or studio, etc) and you find out when said actor doesn't get nominations he/she expected at the time of making the statement. 

In general, statements where someone is critical of their peers and people who give them the job are more damaging career-wise than some general gaffes (Viggo's N word scandal, for example). Nobody likes to work with people who turned against others they worked with in the past. Nor they vote for them.

Edited by Valonqar

Ignoring the latest ScarJo Gonna ScarJo stuff:

On 9/3/2019 at 9:29 AM, cannastop said:

What movie is he talking about? 👀

Tweet has been deleted.  I presume though it implied less than complimentary things about Jojo Rabbit?

Edited by Porthos

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Tweet has been deleted.  I presume though it implied less than complimentary things about Jojo Rabbit?

Said it was the second worst movie ever. The worst, of course, being Life is Beautiful 🙄

• ...wtf 2

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

to be fair, that's more than any non-MCU Taika movie. Even though I think he's great, his movies are pretty niche, and I wouldn't expect this to break out hugely (domestically at least). 

Wilderpeople made 23m, thank you very much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

ScarJo isn't being problematic. She's just giving honest, confident answers, whether we agree with her or not. Her opinions don't have to fit in a nice little box that society dictates. She stands by Woody Allen not because she stands by a pig, but because she believes in his innocence. So...let her.

Honest doesn't mean "well thought through". Life is more complicated than that, most of the time.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Porthos said:

yeah said it was the worst movie since Life is Beautiful. And Life is Beautiful is the worst movie ever of course.

• ...wtf 1