aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

26 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Said it was the second worst movie ever. The worst, of course, being Life is Beautiful 🙄

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

yeah said it was the worst movie since Life is Beautiful. And Life is Beautiful is the worst movie ever of course.

Since this IS Twitter, where folks like to think they're at the Amateur Standup Comedian Hour, any chance the tweet was being ironic and folks didn't pick up on the joke?  Like, comparing this to Life is Beautiful seems almost a giveaway.

That's why I'm trying to find the source of the tweet, to get some sort of context of it all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Since this IS Twitter, where folks like to think they're at the Amateur Standup Comedian Hour, any chance the tweet was being ironic and folks didn't pick up on the joke?  Like, comparing this to Life is Beautiful seems almost a giveaway.

That's why I'm trying to find the source of the tweet, to get some sort of context of it all.

I didn’t get that impression, but sarcasm is hard on the intertubes 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I think he was serious that he didn't like the movie though.

• Like 1

There is a consistent throughline there though, if you’re somebody who just has a philosophical stance that lighter movies about Nazis/Hitler/holocuast should just never ever be made and are automatically awful no matter what their message is.

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

There is a consistent throughline there though, if you’re somebody who just has a philosophical stance that lighter movies about Nazis/Hitler/holocuast should just never ever be made and are automatically awful no matter what their message is.

well honestly how many lighthearted Hitler movies are there?

Don't say The Producers.

Just now, Thanos Legion said:

I suppose.  But, like, to rope this back into the controversy du jour, just because you have a sincerely and strongly held belief that runs counter to what many think, that doesn't actually make it a good opinion.

I agree that it's a more, hmm, difficult minefield to transverse.  But that sort of thought is just too reductive for me and eliminates too many good works out there.  Starting with the iconic The Producers and working our way down from there.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

well honestly how many lighthearted Hitler movies are there?

A very long list of comedic movie to feature Nazi/Hitler I would imagine

Fun Nazi zombies movies was a genre for a while

How many people did laugh at a Downfall Hitler meme video ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

A very long list of comedic movie to feature Nazi/Hitler I would imagine

Fun Nazi zombies movies was a genre for a while

How many people did laugh at a Downfall Hitler meme video ?

The Iron Sky movies! I really would like to watch those eventually.

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

yikes. I mean even Chaplin said he wouldn't have made The Great Dictator if he knew of Hitler's full atrocities.

Mel Brooks (who did the remake of To Be or Not To Be) is of the school that more or less says:

Belittling, mocking, and out right making fun of Nazis makes them weaker and thus art should/can do it.

Trivializing the Holocaust on the other hand, is a bridge too far. 

===

Also I note you're specifically focusing on Hitler here.  To which I say "fair enough".  But Those Wacky Nazis in general has a long long looooooooooong entry over TV Tropes for a reason.

• Like 3

Also, relatedly:

Adolph Hitlarious (TV Tropes)

"I was never crazy about Hitler. If you stand on a soapbox and trade rhetoric with a dictator, you never win. That's what they do so well: they seduce people. But if you ridicule them, bring them down with laughter, they can't win. You show how crazy they are." — Mel Brooks

In short: Adolf Hitler is treated as a joke instead of a monster.

No, this doesn't intend to excuse or underplay anything done under his regime. The point is that instead of being treated as some kind of boogeyman or evil incarnate, he's treated as something stupid, for reasons stated in the above quote. Focus is often put on Hitler's actual personality and behavior outside German propaganda - that he was a short, somewhat goofy-looking man prone to hysterics and narcissism, the opposite of the image he tried to portray to his supporters.

This was the default portrayal of Hitler (and the Germans as a whole) in most Allied media during World War II. German atrocities in eastern Europe, which were dismissed as Communist propaganda elsewhere, made this portrayal a little more controversial there. After Franco-Anglo-American citizens became aware of The Holocaust in the late 1960s and 1970s, this trope became controversial there as well. This is because some people think that making fun of the Nazis makes the war crimes and genocides they perpetrated seem less serious. Thus treating Hitler and the Nazis too flippantly may evoke reactions of "Dude, Not Funny!" Still, many people subscribe to Mel Brooks' view that the Nazis' evilness itself qualifies them as Acceptable Targets.

A Sub-Trope of Those Wacky Nazis (with actual emphasis on the "wacky") and Historical Hilarity. Compare Stupid Jetpack Hitler.

Another VERY long list over at TV Tropes.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Mel Brooks (who did the remake of To Be or Not To Be) is of the school that more or less says:

Belittling, mocking, and out right making fun of Nazis makes them weaker and thus art should/can do it.

Trivializing the Holocaust on the other hand, is a bridge too far. 

===

Also I note you're specifically focusing on Hitler here.  To which I say "fair enough".  But Those Wacky Nazis in general has a long long looooooooooong entry over TV Tropes for a reason.

I'm focused on Hitler because this movie is focused on Hitler. I don't think that what Taika Waititi is doing is offensive, but it might be dumb.

And speaking of Hogan's Heroes:

hochman1.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I'm focused on Hitler because this movie is focused on Hitler. I don't think that what Taika Waititi is doing is offensive, but it might be dumb.

It's not actually Hitler, but I suppose that's besides the point.

Like I said, I do think it raises the degree of difficulty in pulling something off. I mean, the whole power of the belittlement in this case is that one is trying to defang and/or neuter something pretty damn evil.  If you don't hit your marks just right it can go pretty badly

From what I've seen, it looks like the movie might be hitting its marks.  Though, of course, as always milage may vary here.  

• Like 1