aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

Well what do you mean? I think there's ample evidence that he's a creep and a predator, but it's not relevant to this movie.

That is just your opinion. You're not exactly the Supreme Court of Law, aren't you?... other people may have some other opinions and are free to express it, it's called freedom of speech. But if those opinions aren't matching yours, what gives you the right to try to cancel the persons who expressed those opinions? And how long until you may have an unpopular opinion too, and there will be calls to cancel you too?

Edited by Marcus Cato

8 minutes ago, Marcus Cato said:

That is just your opinion. You're not exactly the Supreme Court of Law, aren't you?... other people may have some other opinions and are free to express it, it's called freedom of speech. But if those opinions aren't matching yours, what gives you the right to try to cancel the persons who expressed those opinions? And how long until you may have an unpopular opinion too, and there will be calls to cancel you too?

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences of said speech

Consequence of the said speech is that it won't hurt her awards chances because Hollywood doesn't care. The thing that people on social media don't understand is that they view everything as the baddest thing ever while that is not how most people rank different opinions from theirs. In many eyes, Scarlett view is not a transgression at all. It's an opinion one doesn't have to agree with but it isn't a crime or an offense. But social media acts like she killed Ghandi and that's out of touch with reality. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Consequence of the said speech is that it won't hurt her awards chances because Hollywood doesn't care. The thing that people on social media don't understand is that they view everything as the baddest thing ever while that is not how most people rank different opinions from theirs. In many eyes, Scarlett view is not a transgression at all. It's an opinion one doesn't have to agree with but it isn't a crime or an offense. But social media acts like she killed Ghandi and that's out of touch with reality. 

I don’t know about that. The MeToo era has caused a lot of people in Hollywood to turn on Woody Allen. Many actors and actresses have basically been forced to apologize for ever working with him. It doesn’t help that Ronan Farrow has become a pretty powerful journalist, and he’s pretty firmly against Allen. 

15 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t know about that. The MeToo era has caused a lot of people in Hollywood to turn on Woody Allen. Many actors and actresses have basically been forced to apologize for ever working with him. It doesn’t help that Ronan Farrow has become a pretty powerful journalist, and he’s pretty firmly against Allen. 

Hollywood is hypocritical. Hollywood celebrated Roman Polanski for years and only recently stopped and he was actually convicted of raping and drugging a 13 year old. With Woody I know it’s mainly allegations but with the MeToo movement Hollywood has had to reassess their support of these men. I think the guy having an affair with/marrying the barely legal daughter of his long time girlfriend makes the allegations believable to many people. Your also right that Ronan Farrow, who was one of the main journalists behind the MeToo movement being very anti-Woody Allen doesn’t help matters. 

Edited by ban1o

20 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Those actors and actresses who apologized also happened not to win in the same year they issued apologies (Gerwig and Chalamet) so you can read it as that apology didn't help or maybe deterred them. Like, anyone can read whatever they want. I read that some people (Amy Adams stans) were hoping that Cate Blanchett not addressing Allen during Blue Jasmine campaign (when Allen case was in full swing) would have resulted in backlash but that never happened. She never denounced him or the movie or whatever but swept all awards. Point being, her performance was liked much more and mattered much more than whatever she thought of Allen. I don't think that people who apologized were forced. I think they thought they were making a good political statement that would boost their chances and that didn't happen. Pretty much like Viola Davis apologizing for The Help when she thought Widows was her ticket to Best Actress. Did not happen. 

Edited by Valonqar

Here’s the thing: social media and various people on it may believe one thing (that someone should face consequences for their actions). They should be able to call out someone whenever they want, it is within their right of freedom of speech as well.

But those people are not the law, or the police etc. So if you don’t agree that Scarlett should be called out the way she has been (which I may or may not agree with), than it shouldn’t matter what people on Twitter are saying. They don’t make the laws, Scarlett is not in “real” trouble yet, so let the Twitter people do their thing, and let Scarlett do her thing. If and when she or someone else does something unjust, than we should hope the legal systems prosecute her for that. But right now people should have the right to react to her speech the way they want. 

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Here’s the thing: social media and various people on it may believe one thing (that someone should face consequences for their actions). They should be able to call out someone whenever they want, it is within their right of freedom of speech as well.

But those people are not the law, or the police etc. So if you don’t agree that Scarlett should be called out the way she has been (which I may or may not agree with), than it shouldn’t matter what people on Twitter are saying. They don’t make the laws, Scarlett is not in “real” trouble yet, so let the Twitter people do their thing, and let Scarlett do her thing. If and when she or someone else does something unjust, than we should hope the legal systems prosecute her for that. But right now people should have the right to react to her speech the way they want. 

While I don’t care much for Scarlett Johansson, I do think the whole idea of “cancelling her” is pretty stupid, though that’s mostly because I think cancel culture in general is a blight on the world. The simple fact of the matter is that Scarlett Johansson is human, and humans tend to be flawed, and often say stupid things. If we’re going to “cancel” anyone who’s ever said something we disagree with, then we might as well cancel the entire human race. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences of said speech

That sound counter intuitive, if you have a cost to something it stop being free, the second you have possible negative consequence to speech you are not fully free to speech.

It is true that the protection of speech that most states offer do not protect from all consequence of said speech, but what the law protect is quite different than the general concept of freedom of speech.

• Like 2