aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cringe at the fact this currently has a lower MC score than The Goldfinch. At least that movie being a dud could be seen coming from miles away (unless you were Alli).

I think it just has bad luck on metacritic at the moment.

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Iger said Fox Searchlight will be developing content exclusively for Disney+ 

Also, MC dropped to 45; Slant gave it a ZERO. Damn. RT at 57% too.

Please provide a link to that statement. That is a very far-fetched statement, and, frankly, a stupid one at that (in terms of how much sense it makes for Iger to say that). It's so much smarter for Disney to keep them in the theatrical game and simply let them do their thing. I'm not getting Disney+ just to watch Fox Searchlight movies; I've enjoyed seeing The Shape of Water in theaters, I've enjoyed seeing The Favourite in theaters. I'm frustrated.

3 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Please provide a link to that statement. That is a very far-fetched statement, and, frankly, a stupid one at that (in terms of how much sense it makes for Iger to say that). It's so much smarter for Disney to keep them in the theatrical game and simply let them do their thing. I'm not getting Disney+ just to watch Fox Searchlight movies; I've enjoyed seeing The Shape of Water in theaters, I've enjoyed seeing The Favourite in theaters. I'm frustrated.

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/articles/2019/05/13/fox-searchlights-role-in-the-new-disney/

And while Searchlight will continue to release films theatrically. There is also a chance some projects would be direct-to-streaming. Particularly, Seachlight’s recently launched TV division could create series for Hulu.

LOL, Collider guy have such a rote "I have to say a positive thing to get invited to Thor 4 advance screening" B+ review. You aren't fooling anyone, mate. :lol:

That said, I'm with @cannastop that we should wait and see how MC goes when more reviews are added, though it scored enough yellows and 1 red not to expect it to rise to 80s. it would need a string of 100 to make the jump. Not impossible but I don't see it atm.

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

Maybe that Disney exec wasn't scared over alienating Disney fans but over this being a shitty movie?

I get why the other executives were fawning because it’s safe.

Spoiler
Spoiler

It’s a joke, no need for the pitchforks and torches.

3 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

Iger also said indie label Fox Searchlight will continue on its current trajectory and also make movies for Disney Plus.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/disney-fox-xmen-marvel-studio-losses-1203294296/

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't see Knives Out getting it. Even if it's great, it's a genre film and genre films usually don't win it. Same reason why Hustler won't win it (although it's not so much a genre film). I can see either Hustler or Knives Out (or even Joker for that matter) get one runner up spot and I think it's between Mr Rogers and Just Mercy for the win (and the one that doesn't end up winning is runner up).

On the other hand Joker could actually win it. Sure, it's a genre film but genre films are just unlikely to win the Golden Lion and Joker won that so maybe if Americans like it as much as the Venice jury did, it could.

I'd say Parasite is more likely to end up as the runner up (or the 2nd one at least) for the TIFF award. 

also Joker winning at Venice only makes it seem like it's way too artsy for the audiences at TIFF. (remember Roma? though I wouldn't count it out being in the top 3 but not winning).

Edited by RealLyre

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

On MC probably not, but on RT it's gone up to fresh already.

RT's irrelevant for awards. It's the top critics who hand out most prestige ones LAFCA, NYFCC, NBR. if these guys hand out yellow and red ratings at MC, they are not gonna give the movie a push. 

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

RT's irrelevant for awards. It's the top critics who hand out most prestige ones LAFCA, NYFCC, NBR. if these guys hand out yellow and red ratings at MC, they are not gonna give the movie a push. 

I wasn't talking awards.

8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Disney fucked up another fox film this year. Seems like the only financial and critical Fox hit this year is Ready or Not.

How is Disney fucking this up?

The film was not made under Disney and so far all we have is some early reviews and reaction from festival. What has that got to do with Disney? Nothing

If the film makes money or not its not really relevant whether its Fox or Disney. It will be down to whether audiences enjoy it -- which remains to be seen.