aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

We already know what is going to happen to FOX movies:

The 2019 Venice Film Festival, running Aug. 28-Sept. 7, reflects the seismic changes under way in Hollywood.

“There is a strange situation this year with American cinema due to what’s happening,” says artistic director Alberto Barbera. “An earthquake [is] undermining the U.S. film industry as we know it.”

Barbera, who’s been instrumental in turning the Lido into a prime awards season propeller, is mainly referring to Disney buying Fox “and dismantling it, so that in a while people won’t even remember that it existed.”

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

also Joker winning at Venice only makes it seem like it's way too artsy for the audiences at TIFF. (remember Roma? though I wouldn't count it out being in the top 3 but not winning).

Joker is anything but artsy though. I honestly think the only reason it won was because of Mary Harron (she has a thing for fucked up people based on her filmography).

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Joker is anything but artsy though. I honestly think the only reason it won was because of Mary Harron (she has a thing for fucked up people based on her filmography).

One of the stars of Nymphomaniac, Stacy Martin, was on the Jury too

6 minutes ago, Mr Pastaffelees said:

Okay, so long story short....I really loved it.

More later, but I need to kinda dive deeper into some of the criticisms. I completely get how it's gonna be divisive.

So do you think it's still a contender or that's gone? I don't think that low MC out of only 6 reviews is end of the world but it doesn't signal that overwhelming critical support is on the way either. 

@Alpha That's because it was advertised as one and if it doesn't play with "movie we need right now" critics than it may be in serious trouble. It wasn't made for "oh, Gosh, another movie about current politics, can't we just have entertainment?" critics. 

Edited by Valonqar

3 hours ago, TMP said:

Searchlight's gonna be a Disney+ only affair in a few years

One would have thought that FSL would been an important par of Disney+ but no it will not be on it apparently:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/08/27/disney-plus-may-only-show-pg-13-content-giving-netflix-amazon-and-apple-an-advantage/#4ebcd66c5769

Hulu like other mentioned maybe, nothing off brand than a 6 year's old cannot watch on Disney+.

Just now, Barnack said:

One would have thought that FSL would been an important par of Disney+ but no it will not be on it apparently:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/08/27/disney-plus-may-only-show-pg-13-content-giving-netflix-amazon-and-apple-an-advantage/#4ebcd66c5769

Hulu like other mentioned maybe, nothing off brand than a 6 year's old cannot watch on Disney+.

THR said that Searchlight would produce content for Disney+ (I linked the article a few pages back), in addition hulu and cinemas

51 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Remember Miramax shut down after Bob Iger joined. And who knows what Touchstone is doing.

According to what Disney said to the IRS touchstone was closed before 2007:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1001039/000100103907000090/filename1.htm

Was merely a logo and accounting entity, no office space, no employees, etc...

seems like the problem is kinda what i've been saying here for ages ever since i read the script which is that the movie kinda pulls it's punches and is too "cute" about it. i thought it wouldn't be a big deal for other people or that it could be improved but err.... guess not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

seems like the problem is kinda what i've been saying here for ages ever since i read the script which is that the movie kinda pulls it's punches and is too "cute" about it. i thought it wouldn't be a big deal for other people or that it could be improved but err.... guess not.

Looks like you weren't a monster... you were just ahead of the curve

Waititi is "problematic" I guess now.

The Simpletons critics probably didn't really understand how the movie is saying nazis are bad/evil.

Subtlelty is not their forte so I can't blame them.

Edited by The Futurist