aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

4 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Reviews have become much more political now. Green Book last year was a perfect movie yet it got negative reviews because the message wasn’t too woke enough whatever that means. I think the same thing might be happening with Joker and JoJo Rabbit this year. There’s also a small but incredibly vocal crowd on film twitter who have nothing better to do then complain all day! They just want to tear things down! 

Not really. Green Book got pretty good reviews. It's just that it was lambasted on Twitter by people who don't matter. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I think the worst thing about this movie, going by reviews, is that it isn't attacked by alt-right (which they might have hoped to happen to create buzz) or that overly sensitive left found it insensitive (which they wouldn't want). It's just that most critics who weighed in so far don't think it's good. So it isn't politically driven dismissal at all, on either side, but quality one. Not good enough. We see what Waititi is trying to do but it didn't come together and humor didn't hide that the movie had nothing interesting or new to say. And outside of the kid, no character really registers. That's the gist of it, so far. 

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Who would have thought that Jojo Rabbit would have the same critical reception as The Goldfinch?

Odd definition of the same

GOLDFINCH TOMATOMETER 27%

Average Rating: 4.42/10

Total Count: 33

Fresh: 9

Rotten: 24

Top Critics: 17%

Average Rating: 4.35/10

Total Count: 12

Fresh: 2

Rotten: 10

JO JO RABBIT TOMATOMETER 68%

Average Rating: 6.25/10

Total Count: 31

Fresh: 21

TOMATOMETER 45%

Average Rating: 6.2/10

Total Count: 11

Fresh: 5

Rotten: 6

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Odd definition of the same

GOLDFINCH TOMATOMETER 27%

Average Rating: 4.42/10

Total Count: 33

Fresh: 9

Rotten: 24

Top Critics: 17%

Average Rating: 4.35/10

Total Count: 12

Fresh: 2

JO JO RABBIT TOMATOMETER 68%

Average Rating: 6.25/10

Total Count: 31

Fresh: 21

TOMATOMETER 45%

Average Rating: 6.2/10

Total Count: 11

Fresh: 5

Rotten: 6

MetaCritic's the one that's very close.

Just now, Lucas said:

MetaCritic's the one that's very close.

Looking the breakdown - Slant is pushing up The Goldfinch's avg and dragging JJR down.

MC's algorithm in play or they give far to much weight to Slant's 0 for JJR. 

Goldfinch (12 reviews) has 3 green positive reviews (one from Slant at 63) - the highest being 70  and one yellow 60 compared to JJR's 5 (15 reviews) with the high of 91 and two yellow 60s. Both have 3 in the red.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:18 PM, MrGlass2 said:

Wait, why would critics hate on this movie for political reasons? Is Waititi pro-Hitler?

A lot of criticism of the film was that a lot of the satire on Hitler was just plain not funny.

In fact ,the general tone was they saw what Waititi was trying to do, but felt he did not manage to pull it off.

And,yeah, if you are doing black comedy about Hitler, you don't pull your punches. 

I don't know if the stories are true that Waititi watered down his sceeenplay to get it green lit, but in view of the reviews maybe he should have just put it on the shelf and wait until he had a couple more hits under his belt and enough clout to get the film made the way he wanted it made.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:39 PM, tonytr87 said:

Not really. Green Book got pretty good reviews. It's just that it was lambasted on Twitter by people who don't matter. 

I think a lot of the fuss over Green BOok is that it was a decent, not exceptional movie that won BP over more deserving films because Academy voters wanted to "send a message about racism".

IMHO to vote for a movie for any reason other then it's the best of the nominated films is wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I think a lot of the fuss over Green BOok is that it was a decent, not exceptional movie that won BP over more deserving films because Academy voters wanted to "send a message about racism".

IMHO to vote for a movie for any reason other then it's the best of the nominated films is wrong.

I'm not talking about post-Oscars. Obviously it didn't deserve the win and so I understand hand-wringing over that. However, leading up to the show it was trashed on Twitter by people who thought a movie made to "send a message about racism" was actually itself racist. 

12 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

I'm not talking about post-Oscars. Obviously it didn't deserve the win and so I understand hand-wringing over that. However, leading up to the show it was trashed on Twitter by people who thought a movie made to "send a message about racism" was actually itself racist. 

I know what you mean, and I remember. Malcontents just saw it as a "white saviour" movie, whatever that means. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Waititi probably assumed that he could make this movie without  having a character saying every 2 minutes that Hitler and the Nazis were 
EVIIIIIIIIL

&

BAAAAAD

Assuming some form of intelligence & knowledge from  audiences was Waititi's biggest mistake IMO.

Nah, it looks like the movie is simply middling. There's not a single 100 on MC (even Hustlers have one) which means that even critics who liked it thought it was merely OK. It isn't divisive unlike Joker. It's just whatever. That's worse. 

As for Green Book, if they award Just Mercy, that's gonna be Green Book 2.0 - another middling, unremarkable movie with a message about racism. Everyone can see that Just Mercy is the worst kind of old-fashioned Oscar bait and reviews says so. I really hope that WB won't chicken out of Joker push and try to make this crap happen because it wouldn't age well. Joker's got Perfect Scores which means there's passion for it, as well as detractors. Jojo and Just Mercy are receiving " just meh whatever, I'll give them a pass but whatever" reviews.

• Knock It Off 1

16 hours ago, JB33 said:

I know what you mean, and I remember. Malcontents just saw it as a "white saviour" movie, whatever that means. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

That was Idiotic, frankly. Guess they though that Viggo Mortenson was still playing Aragorn.....

Wiaititi is a very talented filmmaker, but even the great filmmakers had the occasional misfire. Nobody is perfect, nobody is going bat .1000 all the time. Make films long enough, you will make a weak film or out and out turkey. 

Don't understand why people don't get this, and accept it.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1