aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

Wiaititi is a very talented filmmaker, but even the great filmmakers had the occasional misfire. Nobody is perfect, nobody is going bat .1000 all the time. Make films long enough, you will make a weak film or out and out turkey. 

Don't understand why people don't get this, and accept it.

It's currently at 76% with a 7.07 avg after 41 reviews.  It's no Hunt for The Wilderpeople  but it might not end up far from The Boy.  As of now critically it's hardly a turkey or even a misfire.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 8:16 PM, Giggi said:

Despite the reviews I definitely still want to go see this, it’s rare this day in age that filmmakers are willing to take risk like this, I like reward filmmakers who make such risks.

The reviews say it doesn't take risks which is why it has such meh reception. OTOH, that probably means it's winning TIFF Audience Award. 

7 hours ago, Giggi said:

I am starting to see more positive buzz surrounding this movie, things may turn out ok after all.

TOMATOMETER 74%

Average Rating: 7.27/10

Total Count: 54

Fresh: 40

Rotten: 14

TOP CRITICS 50%

Average Rating: 7.11/10

Total Count: 16

Fresh: 8

Rotten: 8

It looks to be polarizing like Joker.  The avg rating now isn't that far off from Joker (7.6)  and RT % is almost the same (74 v 75).

They're in contrast to a couple of other buzzed festival plays which seem to be more liked in general but less fervently

Ford v Ferrari  - 88% / 6.97avg (40 reviews)  & Just Mercy - 83% /6.67avg (36 reviews)

Green Book won Best Picture (77%/7.43) and BR (!) (61%/6.1) - was nominated last year - so yeah not out of it.

• Like 1

It isn't polarizing, it's just OK. It still hasn't gotten a perfect score on MC and its number of positive and mixed reviews is even. That reads as middling, not divisive. OTOH, Joker got perfect scores but there are also reviews that absolutely hate it. That's divisive, absolute love and absolute hate. Jojo is middling, basically an OK movie that some like and some won't give a pass but don't think it's trash. That's pretty good place to be with AMPAS and TIFF basics. They like middling (see Green Book).

Edited by Valonqar

32 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It isn't polarizing, it's just OK. It still hasn't gotten a perfect score on MC and its number of positive and mixed reviews is even. That reads as middling, not divisive. OTOH, Joker got perfect scores but there are also reviews that absolutely hate it. That's divisive, absolute love and absolute hate. Jojo is middling, basically an OK movie that some like and some won't give a pass but don't think it's trash. That's pretty good place to be with AMPAS and TIFF basics. They like middling (see Green Book).

If it was mostly middling reviews the rating wouldn't be 7.27 with a 74% - it would be more like Just Mercy or Ford v Ferrari - higher like % with a lower avg. 

It's ZERO  from Slant on MC is worse than any review on MC for Joker and greatly brings down the avg.    Chang from LA Times also hated it.  JJR has 3 red zone, 9 yellow- middling, 10 green with one below 70.   Joker has 24 reviews, 2 red zone reviews,  7 40-60 middling, 15 positive with 2 of those below 70.  

Look at the latest scores on RT. these are 4s and 4.5s not 3s and 3.5s which would be middling.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jojo_rabbit/reviews

Edited by TalismanRing

45 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It looks to be polarizing like Joker.  The avg rating now isn't that far off from Joker (7.6)  and RT % is almost the same (74 v 75).

They're in contrast to a couple of other buzzed festival plays which seem to be more liked in general but less fervently

Ford v Ferrari  - 88% / 6.97avg (40 reviews)  & Just Mercy - 83% /6.67avg (36 reviews)

Green Book won Best Picture (77%/7.43) and BR (!) (61%/6.1) - was nominated last year - so yeah not out of it.

Unlike those movies, this movie started off weak with mixed reviews first and then more positive one. Even Just Mercy started off a bit strong. Green Book had really strong reception when it premiered. Also won't have the popularity BR had and resonant performance (not my personal opinion) of Rami Malek.

I'm pretty sure if Joker premiered at TIFF first, it would be doing more similarly to Jojo Rabbit and wouldn't be in awards conversations. That Venice premiere REALLY helped it.

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Unlike those movies, this movie started off weak with mixed reviews first and then more positive one. Even Just Mercy started off a bit strong. Green Book had really strong reception when it premiered. Also won't have the popularity BR had and resonant performance (not my personal opinion) of Rami Malek.

I'm pretty sure if Joker premiered at TIFF first, it would be doing more similarly to Jojo Rabbit and wouldn't be in awards conversations. That Venice premiere REALLY helped it.

Agreed though I'm not sure how long that Venice bump is going to last for Joker outside of Phoenix.   Just Mercy has the social angle that Oscar loves going for it but in terms of awards I think only Foxx came out of TIFF looking strong.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If it was mostly middling reviews the rating wouldn't be 7.27 with a 74% - it would be more like Just Mercy or Ford v Ferrari - higher like % with a lower avg. 

It's ZERO  from Slant on MC is worse than any review on MC for Joker and greatly brings down the avg.    Chang from LA Times also hated it.  JJR has 3 red zone, 9 yellow- middling, 10 green with one below 70.   Joker has 24 reviews, 2 red zone reviews,  7 40-60 middling, 15 positive with 2 of those below 70.  

Look at the latest scores on RT. these are 4s and 4.5s not 3s and 3.5s which would be middling.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jojo_rabbit/reviews

OK, Slant tends to troll movies with negatives. They are like Armond, lol.

You are right, score is improving so people are counting it out prematurely. I do think that it isn't remarkable for there would be perfect scores by now and it isn't getting category praise (for example, singling out director or script or actors or any combo of), but it's obviously very likable and digestible and could play well with audiences and AMPAS alike. I mena, what else is there that could potentially win? We know that high review score does not a winner make. 

So if this is going to pull a Green Book, I see another Picture/Director split. I don't think Waititi has reviews for director win and actors are absolutely not happening. of course, if it doesn't sneak in TIFF Audience Award top 3 than we should worry. 

I was bullish on its Oscar chances (remember Scarjo's double nom, lmao!)  so I'm not giving up entirely but I'm prioritizing categories. BP seems more likely than any other. Acting seems pretty dead and Waititi reviews aren't as strong as some other directors with all out raves. But, again, critics don't decide the race.

Re: Just Mercy. Same thing as Jojo but with Supporting Actor near locked. Needs non-critics support to make a dent, so TIFF Award and televised precursors which are more lax than critics. It would be disappointing if such traditional oscar bait became WB's oscar vehicle over much more interesting Joker just because JM is agreeable while Joker is controversial.

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Disconnect between critics and audiences. This is still in the Oscar race I think 

said so yesterday:

Jojo never left. Now it's in the race with Marriage Story (second runner-up) and Parasite (third runner up). 

Edited by Valonqar