aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

I saw this yesterday and thought it was just alright. I'll have to roll my eyes if it ends up becoming a frontrunner. Really does feels like Waititi bit off more than he could chew and doesn't entirely nail juggling multiple tones. The kid's cute though, and most of the cast is really good (I don't think ScarJo has ever been a warmer presence than she is here).

• Knock It Off 1

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

I saw this yesterday and thought it was just alright. I'll have to roll my eyes if it ends up becoming a frontrunner. Really does feels like Waititi bit off more than he could chew and doesn't entirely nail juggling multiple tones. The kid's cute though, and most of the cast is really good (I don't think ScarJo has ever been a warmer presence than she is here).

My thoughts exactly. The movie wasn't even bold. It was actually very safe, just packaged as something offbeat due to imaginary friend but otherwise all genre beats were there without any subversion or surprise. Spot on about Scarlett.

If this wins, it's going to be another case of cuteness beats greatness which means it'll go down in history as one of the most hated winners. People tend to turn on enjoyable, sweet movies when they acquire Best Picture title because they clearly are not. Yet we know that AMPAS very often votes for what they enjoy the most rather than what's objectively best no matter the enjoyment factor. 

• Knock It Off 1

21 hours ago, filmlover said:

Saw it this weekend, It's good, not great. Too many of the jokes fall flat, and Waititi did have problems with the shifts in tone the film has.

It might get a few nominations....hating on the Nazis is always popular..but will not be a strong contender.

Edited by dudalb

Surprisingly enough, I think the emotional heart of this works fantastically but the comedy falls flat. Would've guessed it would be the opposite issue with Waititi. His humor has always landed perfectly for me in the past. Wouldn't mind seeing a straight up drama attempt from him after this though. 

Edited by MovieMan89

I loved Sam Rockwell's work in JJR, also. The two lead kids are great. I laughed at Waititi as Hitler but expected him to be knock-it-out-of-the-park hilarious but that just didn't happen. It's difficult to make Adolf funny.

I don't see this as a serious Oscar contender. Despite the subject matter, it just feels too lightweight and surprisingly safe. But I felt similarly about Green Book, so what do I know?

37 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Hated this.  If you thought the controversy about the Sam Rockwell redemption arc in Three Billboards was bad, hoo boy

Spoiler

Did he have a redemption arc? I thought the movie made it fairly clear that his character was gay and was a Nazi to hide in plain sight, and he still got executed in the end, because he was still a Nazi, regardless of whatever else he did. One of the last things he says is that he wasn't an actual good person like Rosie was.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 1