aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

4 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Looks like Taika has reached his forced & pandering stage. Hope I like the actual movie more but yeesh.

Yeah, strikes me as bit too much "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT HOW EDGY, DARING AND CONTROVERSIAL I AM!".

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

THAT'S THE POINT! :lol:

I'm a little sad that the trailer went out of its way to say "don't worry folks, this is satire".

Like, duh, OF COURSE IT'S SATIRE.  Watching this for ten seconds makes it obvious that this is satire.  

My secondary observation was, more or less, "well, Monty Python would sometimes flash in big huge letters "SARCASM" or "SATIRE", so whatever".  But then again, they usually did it as part of the joke.  A sort of meta-commentary on humor.

All I was basically saying is I felt it was a little sad that they actually felt they had to tell us this was a satire.  If it's part of the joke, then fine.  But credit watchers with at least a little intelligence is more or less my point, I suppose. 

(it's also not a big deal - just a passing observation :))

You would be amazed how obvious satire goes over people heads nowdays.

I got a feeling this will be either really drop dead funny or a pretty big fiasco, no in between.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I got a feeling this will be either really drop dead funny or a pretty big fiasco, no in between.

I think that, even if the film is a "pretty big fiasco", I don't think Waititi's career will be damaged in any way. He's a great director and the next Thor will get him back on track with good will for sure.

Hopefully.

Edited by SLAM!

5 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Seems like an impossibly fine line to land on. Hoping for the best.

Yeah, doing a comedy on this subject matter is pretty much walking on a wire 100 feet above the ground without a safety net in a high wind.

5 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I think that, even if the film is a "pretty big fiasco", I don't think Waititi's career will be damaged in any way. He's a great director and the next Thor will get him back on track with good will for sure.

Hopefully.

A director can survive a bad film;most directors make a turkey sometime in their career. It's when you do a string of them that you get in trouble.

• Like 1

i don't think the movie is gonna be too controversial. one of my issues with the script was that taika plays the ridiculous concept as safe as possible. make no mistake it's goofy but he's gunning for an oscar here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i don't think the movie is gonna be too controversial. one of my issues with the script was that taika plays the ridiculous concept as safe as possible. make no mistake it's goofy but he's gunning for an oscar here.

oscar for playing Hitler? never in a million years.  they didn't award one to Ralph Finnes for Schindler's List who gave  an extraordinary performance

Edited by Alli

Just now, Alli said:

oscar for playing Hitler? never in a million years.  they didn't award one to Ralph Finnes for Schindler's List who gave  an extraordinary performance

i meant probably for screenplay or something. i don't think he's in the mix for an acting oscar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

He wasn't playing Hitler.

And he was nominated.

yea i know he wasn't playing hitler, just someone as despicable.  Fiennes not winning is one of the greatest oscar injustices

Edited by Alli

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

The Life is Beautiful route?

I dunno, this just seems wrong. Did no research and it will probably show.

25 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Yeah, strikes me as bit too much "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT HOW EDGY, DARING AND CONTROVERSIAL I AM!".

That is the opposite of what I meant. See Coolio's post about the script playing it too safe. That's exactly what comes through in the trailer (as it does in all his easy point-scoring "anti-hate", "i didn't research hitler because fuck him", etc talk). 

• Like 1