aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm sure Mel Brooks did a ton of research when it was doing the Springtime for Hitler parts of The Producers.

(Yes, he lived through the time period - point stands)

Wait. Hitler’s middle name isn’t Elizabeth? We were lied to. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I know Mel Brooks strongly disapproved of Life is Beautiful. Wonder what he thinks of this.

Mel Brooks has stated before that one of his goals of The Producers and the like was to reduce Nazis to be an object of mockery and ridicule.  I don't have the actual quote on hand, but he thought making the Nazis a Bad Joke that everyone laughed at was a fitting way to deal with them.

*does some Googling*

Or, as Brooks put it: “Nazi humor, that’s OK. Holocaust humor, no.” 

Yes, I tend to think he would be fine with Jojo Rabbit.

22 minutes ago, dudalb said:

True, but Brooks did not brag about not doing research.....

He also had a out in that he was not potraying Hilter and Nazis, but actors portraying Hitler and Nazis.

This isn't Hitler either, you know, but a child's imaginary version of him.  As such a Pop Culture version of Hitler seems to be fine.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This isn't Hitler either, you know, but a child's imaginary version of him. 

I was just about to say this. The movie makes no claims to the Hitler depicted being the actual one, but rather a ridiculous parody version that only exists in a kid's imagination. I don't see the need for historical accuracy for that portrayal.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Oh whoops. Didn't realize that.

And the adapted book was written by the grand daughter of someone that spent time in a German labor camp.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
17 minutes ago, Barnack said:

And the adapted book was written by the grand daughter of someone that spent time in a German labor camp.

And in case people care, the person who wrote the book this film is based on did do some research on the time period:

In 2000 she researched the Hitler Youth and WWII Vienna context of Caging Skies at the Memorial de Caen in Normandy.[10] It is about a member of the Hitler youth in Vienna, who “discovers his parents are hiding a young Jewish woman behind a false wall in their home”.[1] Le Monde called it a “beautiful novel, powerful, different, and ambitious” about “love so total that it locks up, isolates and colonises the partner until destruction, annihilates the outside world”.[11] The French translation went through three editions,[12][13] and was nominated for the Prix Médicis Étranger 2007,[14] and the Prix du roman Fnac 2008.[15] The play adaptation of Caging Skies, written by Desirée Gezentsvey and directed by Andrew Foster, had its world premiere at the Circa Theatre, Wellington in August 2017.[16][17] Film director Taika Waititi adapted Caging Skies[18] for film in his 2012 Hollywood Black List script, Jojo Rabbit,[19][20] to be filmed in Prague in spring 2018.[21] Jojo Rabbit, starring Taika Waititi,[22][23] Scarlett Johansson,[24] Sam Rockwell,[25] Rebel Wilson,[26] Thomasin McKenzie,[27] Roman Griffin Davis, Stephen Merchant[28] and Alfie Allen,[29] is set to be one of the first releases by Fox Searchlight Pictures, the arthouse studio of 21st Century Fox under proposed owner Disney in 2019.[24]

WIkipeida, grain of salt, etc.

---

Also, hmm how do I want to put this?  When it comes to someone like Taika Waititi, I would not take the statements he makes about a project like this completely at face value.  Or at the very least not over interpet them to include everything involving the project.

(also, as well, as this IS an adaptation, some of the leg work on research has already been done, as mentioned)

Edited by Porthos
removed superfluous word
  • Like 7
37 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yes, I tend to think he would be fine with Jojo Rabbit.

I felt A LOT of Gray Beach In Taika’s Hitler from the trailer. It was giving me all The Producer vibes. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Mel Brooks has stated before that one of his goals of The Producers and the like was to reduce Nazis to be an object of mockery and ridicule.  I don't have the actual quote on hand, but he thought making the Nazis a Bad Joke that everyone laughed at was a fitting way to deal with them.

What Tarantino did with the Klansman gag in Django Unchained too. I like Brooks approach but I understand why some people don't. So I guess Jojo Rabbit will be up my alley. :)

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

I'm not too worried about the film being insensitive. I'm sure Taika knows what he's doing. Like I mean he had Hitler portrayed by a Jewish Maori person we're obviously not supposed to take the Hitler character seriously or think he resembles the real Hitler.

Edited by ban1o

He won't be insensitive but there are always people who pretend that something is insensitive when it's not. We are living in the clickbait era so everything gets blown out of proportion or twisted for clicks. :unsure:

• Like 1

i think this film will avoid a lot of that. many of the try hard woke film twitter blogger types are taika stans, that lot really like his work. if someone else made this then maybe not but they're all in his corner. like nobody was getting worked up over the trailer i think this'll be fine. 

• Like 2

Problem with Life Is Beautiful is that the concentration camp scenes are point blank ridiculous. Someone trying to pull the stuff that Begnini does in the movie would not have survived one minute.

There are few films I actively hate;Life Is Beautiful is one of them. It's portrayl of the holocaust is ridiculous and phony.

One good thing came of it; That this POS actually won a couple of Oscars woke a lot of Oscar Voters up and they  stopped voting for a movie or action simply because it involved the Holocaust. ..which had become a bad habit, particularly in the Docementary catergory. There was a joke that if you wanted to win an Oscar for best Documentary, make it either about Handicapped/Mentally Ill people or the Holocaust because Oscar Voters were absolute suckers for them.

• Like 1

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

Ok, I know this type of marketing won't be  everyone's cup of tea but I'm dying. :rofl: can't wait to see what else they come up with. Looks like marketing will be something else. 

Edited by Valonqar
16 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Who's more insufferable: Taika Waititi or Lin-Manuel Miranda?

Yeah, they join Quentnin Tarentino and Spike Lee in the "extremely talented individual but, man, they put their foot in their mouth an awful lot" club.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Yeah, they join Quentnin Tarentino and Spike Lee in the "extremely talented individual but, man, they put their foot in their mouth an awful lot" club.

Taika Waititi and Lin-Manuel Miranda are more insufferably cutesy than those two guys.

• Not Cool 1