aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

MV5BZjU0Yzk2MzEtMjAzYy00MzY0LTg2YmItM2Rk

Intersting lil' tidbit from the Deadline article about Akira:

Waititi’s booked next to direct Jojo Rabbit, a WWII dramedy that is set up at Fox Searchlight with a spring start date. Waititi wrote the script. CAA and Manage-ment rep him.

Plus some stuff I found when I googled it:

blcklist2012-jr.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Taika Waititi is a director that handles dramatic moments well when they do come into the fold. Hunt for the Wilderpeople was a comedy for the most part, but it wasn't afraid to have truly meaningful moments. This will be good, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how he tackles World War 2. The Blacklist notice raises my confidence in this picture.

This interview mentions that this is probably going to shoot next year.

What's next after this?
I just want to keep it interesting—to keep shocking and challenging myself. One of my next films is a stop-motion film about the life and times of Michael Jackson's chimpanzee Bubbles. There's also a smaller film that I've written that I'm going to try to shoot next year. It's a Nazi comedy.

A Nazi comedy? Did I hear you right?
Yeah.

That seems pretty accidentally relevant.
Isn't it? I wrote it five years ago, and now it's weirdly perfect timing. Nazis are cool again. [Laughs]

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kqdm5/the-director-of-thor-ragnarok-is-working-on-a-nazi-comedy

I love how the interviewer reacted to that.

"Did I here you right?"

Waititi has a lot of filmmaking passion to say the least. He'll be recognized by the Academy one day- in fact, if this one gets green light, this film could have the Dunkirk effect (famous director gets snubbed until the Oscar-friendly picture) on him if you get what I'm saying.

3 hours ago, slambros said:

Waititi has a lot of filmmaking passion to say the least. He'll be recognized by the Academy one day- in fact, if this one gets green light, this film could have the Dunkirk effect (famous director gets snubbed until the Oscar-friendly picture) on him if you get what I'm saying.

I doubt it.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/12/fox-searchlight-executives-disney-fox-merger

In May, Taika Waititi, the director of Disney’s four-quadrant comic-book movie hit Thor: Ragnarok, will begin production on a much tinier film, a World War II satire about a 10-year-old boy trying to fit in in fascist Germany with the help of an imaginary friend. Executives at Fox Searchlight, the specialty division of 21st Century Fox, green-lit Waititi’s subversive script, Jojo Rabbit, months ago. In the wake of Disney’s blockbuster new deal for Fox announced on Thursday, Jojo Rabbit becomes an unintended example of what a Disney-owned arthouse division might do.

“We believe in Taika as a filmmaker, and we felt like this was a movie where we can make it on our scale and the right way . . . He doesn’t have to sand off the edges, doesn’t have to change the humor,” said Matthew Greenfield, who heads up production for Fox Searchlight with David Greenbaum. The two executives spoke with Vanity Fair at their offices in early December, at a time when the Disney-Fox deal was just a rumor—but one propelling nervous conversations around their Century City lot. “We hope that any company will value what we do,” Greenfield said of the potential deal. “We feel like the filmmakers we work with . . . [could] then go on to make big movies for the main division.”

Production starts in May next year. Will probably release when the Disney-Fox deal is done, so we'll see how that goes I guess.

• Like 1

Looks like casting has begun.

https://www.thejc.com/community/community-news/wanted-by-hollywood-director-jewish-teenage-girl-to-star-in-new-movie-1.458722

The search is on to find a teenage Jewish girl to take a lead role in a Hollywood movie. Excellent pay and no previous acting experience necessary.

Shooting is scheduled to start in Europe in May on JoJo Rabbit, a satire about a ten-year-old-boy trying to fit in to life in Nazi Germany with the help of an imaginary friend.

The film is being produced by 20th Century Fox and will be directed by New Zealander Taika Waititi, whose credits include the Marvel Comics-based superhero film Thor: Ragnarok.

Des Hamilton Casting — which has a reputation for casting actors without prior experience, or an agent — is looking for a Jewish girl aged 16-18 to fill one of the key roles.

“We often achieve great results when casting children who have never acted before,” said casting associate Jo Harris. “This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone who fits the brief. This is a co-lead role and will be very well paid.

• Like 1

I can see this being really good, and I can see this being really bad.

But I do like the rabbit holding the "Potato Masher Grenade".Although Rabbit and Grenades naturally stirs memories of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.....

"And Three shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be 3"..

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

But as far as Kiwis and World War 2 projects go:

Come on, PJ, go ahead and make "The Dambusters" already. You have been talking about if for around ten years.....

He's got enough planes to make one, that's for sure.