aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

I just found out that this movie is PG-13. Maybe that’s part of the problem with it? If you’re going to make a dark satire about Nazis, it would probably work best if you went all out and did something so absurdly screwed up that it would be sure to stick with people. A PG-13 rating suggests that they were going the safe route with this. 

The sad reality now is blockbusters have more nuanced writing than 98% political movies from Hollywood which are lame propaganda and finger pointing for the dumb.

They love to patronize so much in the Hills.

This extatic feeling of moral superiority, its invigorating I heard.

Someday, somehow, They will understand life is shades of grey and not that basic AF black and white fairy tale they like to dream of.

There is still good in them, Karl hasn't completely  erased it ...

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I just found out that this movie is PG-13. Maybe that’s part of the problem with it? If you’re going to make a dark satire about Nazis, it would probably work best if you went all out and did something so absurdly screwed up that it would be sure to stick with people. A PG-13 rating suggests that they were going the safe route with this. 

From what I heard, the original script that was on the blacklist was a lot darker. Seems like Waititi had to make it safer so that the movie could actually be made.

Reviews have become much more political now. Green Book last year was a perfect movie yet it got negative reviews because the message wasn’t too woke enough whatever that means. I think the same thing might be happening with Joker and JoJo Rabbit this year. There’s also a small but incredibly vocal crowd on film twitter who have nothing better to do then complain all day! They just want to tear things down! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Reviews have become much more political now. Green Book last year was a perfect movie yet it got negative reviews because the message wasn’t too woke enough whatever that means. I think the same thing might be happening with Joker and JoJo Rabbit this year. There’s also a small but incredibly vocal crowd on film twitter who have nothing better to do then complain all day! They just want to tear things down! 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Blankments said:

This narrowly misses my top 5 of the decade

You know, I'll probably feel the same way when I see this film. Moonrise Kingdom is one of my favorite films of all time, and that film didn't get overwhelming praise (unless I'm not remembering correctly). The film looks like something I'd enjoy, and I therefore mustn't let popular opinion sway me.

2 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

You know, I'll probably feel the same way when I see this film. Moonrise Kingdom is one of my favorite films of all time, and that film didn't get overwhelming praise (unless I'm not remembering correctly). The film looks like something I'd enjoy, and I therefore mustn't let popular opinion sway me.

kingodm.pngmoonrise.png

Not remembering correctly.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Might not be the best comparison for your argument here since Green Book (and Joker eventually barring a massive drop once a lot more people see it, for that matter) was Certified Fresh on RT and in the green on MC, neither of which is looking to be the case for this.

19 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I mean Moonrise Kingdom is one of Anderson's most acclaimed movies (I think it's third after Budapest and Mr Fox).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Might not be the best comparison for your argument here since Green Book (and Joker eventually barring a massive drop once a lot more people see it, for that matter) was Certified Fresh on RT and in the green on MC, neither of which is looking to be the case for this.

I think it;s still too early to write Jojo off. I admit prospect doesn't look good and start is absolutely dismal but it's about 10 reviews so that doesn't say much.  I expect both RT (irrelevant for awards) and MC (relevant) to rise though dreams of 90s and high 80s are dead. But then, low scores didn't stop some movies that strike the chord with AMPAS and who's to say this won't? 

19 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

But then, low scores didn't stop some movies that strike the chord with AMPAS and who's to say this won't? 

The movies with not so hot scores the last several years were either big box office hits (Bohemian Rhapsody) or landed too late for them to lose their buzz (Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, Vice). Considering how much indie fare lacking in immediate awards buzz has been fizzling in recent years, who knows how this will fare at the box office with its October release.

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Wait, why would critics hate on this movie for political reasons? Is Waititi pro-Hitler?

If critics are going to bash a movie for political reasons, it probably won’t be this one, since it obviously has the painfully straightforward message of “Nazis are bad”.