aabattery

Jojo Rabbit | 18 OCT 2019 | WW2 Dramedy from ACADEMY AWARD NOMINEE Taika Waititi | Taika Waititi is literally Hitler | 7 Oscars Noms Including Best Picture

Just now, Valonqar said:

said so yesterday:

It isn't polarizing, it's just OK. It still hasn't gotten a perfect score on MC and its number of positive and mixed reviews is even. That reads as middling, not divisive. OTOH, Joker got perfect scores but there are also reviews that absolutely hate it. That's divisive, absolute love and absolute hate. Jojo is middling, basically an OK movie that some like and some won't give a pass but don't think it's trash. That's pretty good place to be with AMPAS and TIFF basics. They like middling (see Green Book).

Mathematically you're still wrong

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Mathematically you're still wrong

I'm right. The movie isn't love/hate. Forget Slant, they are trolls. 

this is the front runner. It has the theme that appeals to older voters and style and director that appeal to younger ones. Boom. done.

Disney will now stop shitting their pants and let FS back it up. Bye Malik.

7 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

Hmmmm... TIFF People's Choice Awards has been nominated for Best Picture 9 out of the last 10 years (and the one that wasn't was a foreign film).

Those 9 films have also had Best Screenplay and Best Actor/Actress noms. Is Jojo Rabbit gonna get both of those? Adapted Screenplay looks more likely but Actor/Actress is pretty much impossible.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Those 9 films have also had Best Screenplay and Best Actor/Actress noms. Is Jojo Rabbit gonna get both of those? Adapted Screenplay looks more likely but Actor/Actress is pretty much impossible.

It can get a best supporting actress nod. 

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

But I'm talking Best Actor/Actress. Don't see Johansson get double-nom either way. 

Actress race in both categories is super weak so someone from Jojo (McKenzie? Scarlett) could sneak in despite lack of reviews though this doesn't need actors. It'll get Picture/Director/Adapted. 

@ThomasNicole Green Book 2.0 indeed. I bet that reviews will improve after this win for more critics who are on the fence will be encouraged to give it a pass. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Just now, Valonqar said:

Actress race in both categories is super weak so someone from Jojo (McKenzie? Scarlett) could sneak in despite lack of reviews though this doesn't need actors. It'll get Picture/Director/Adapted. 

There's really only one spot in Actress that I don't think is locked. McKenzie could get in but I think Awkwafina and Theron are probably more likely. 

Don't see it getting Director either unless The Irishman underwhelms.

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

There's really only one spot in Actress that I don't think is locked. McKenzie could get in but I think Awkwafina and Theron are probably more likely. 

Don't see it getting Director either unless The Irishman underwhelms.

I think Director is happening because he shows some directing flourishes that the branch appreciates. it isn't something OMG pick-my-jaw-off-the-floor like what Three Amigos have perfected (based on reviews) but it isn't unnoticeable either. this year has been strange in that we have more movies that are script driven rather than director driven. No Dunkirk, 3 Amigos, etc type of work that's considered directorial virtuosity.

19 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think Director is happening because he shows some directing flourishes that the branch appreciates. it isn't something OMG pick-my-jaw-off-the-floor like what Three Amigos have perfected (based on reviews) but it isn't unnoticeable either. this year has been strange in that we have more movies that are script driven rather than director driven. No Dunkirk, 3 Amigos, etc type of work that's considered directorial virtuosity.

Parasite is literally that (although the script is amazing too) and 1917 looks to be more directing and screenplay. 

Plus I think we already have our 5 nominees (which is why I think it won't happen unless The Irishman or 1917 underwhelms): Tarantino, Scorsese, Mendes, Joon-Ho, and Baumbach. I would even put Philips and Gerwig for dark horses instead of Waititi atm.

Edited by lorddemaxus

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Parasite is literally that (although the script is amazing too) and 1917 looks to be more directing and screenplay. 

Plus I think we already have our 5 nominees (which is why I think it won't happen unless The Irishman or 1917 underwhelms): Tarantino, Scorsese, Mendes, Joon-Ho, and Baumbach. I would even put Philips and Gerwig for dark horses instead of Waititi atm.

Joon-Ho and Baumbach look the most solid (reviews + TIFF runner ups). Tarantino looks solid. The rest is up for grabs. 

I think Joon-ho could pull a win if his direction is amazing. Director branch really goes for wow direction. They are the least political voters as far as I could see. if your work is average and someone else's is wowzer even if his/her movie isn't timely/topical/etc, they win full stop.