KeepItU25071906

Tuesday: IT 5,37 mln; Annabelle passed 100 m$ domestic

The sad/scary thing about BKB is the sincerity found in his posts. He wasn't like CBM fanboys that get so hostile over their Marvel or DC joint because someone dared to have a different opinion (well ok he was one of them); the dude legit thinks his right-wing agenda is the TRUTH and the MILLENNIALS are clueless. I can't imagine where he's posting now and who he's inflicting annoyance on.

• Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

The sad/scary thing about BKB is the sincerity found in his posts. He wasn't like CBM fanboys that get so hostile over their Marvel or DC joint because someone dared to have a different opinion (well ok he was one of them); the dude legit thinks his right-wing agenda is the TRUTH and the MILLENNIALS are clueless. I can't imagine where he's posting now and who he's inflicting annoyance on.

He's probably off on one of those MRA websites wailing about the invisible so-called "injustices" being showered upon him and every other straight white man.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I guarantee had Black Panther not been a Marvel film, he would've torn into that. What's surprising was he supported it.

Thank God he's gone.

Edited by YourMother

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I guarantee had Black Panther not been a Marvel film, he would've torn into that. What's surprising was he supported it.

Thank God he's gone.

Or Captain Marvel (which he would've called a screed to please SJWs or something if it were made by anyone else).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Think you're making a different case entirely which is much more narrow.  As others have said IT's success legitimately changed the game in this industry and will impact for years.  We don't have to call it the lead story if that's the issue...

The success of IT has changed nothing as of yet, let alone producing an impact for years.

Also, you're now trying to use "a story" instead of "the story" to define the discussion and that distinction is significant. That's fine except the starting point was the post with "the box office stories" text. I wasn't arguing the "a story" point that you have now pivoted to here. Please feel free to continue discussing the "a story" subject. I may chime in again if you complete the 360 and return to "the story" discussion.

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Lol, at some people NOW pretending like they always knew IT would be a smash.

I find this argument boring but that little bit was hilarious. That's some reality retconning of the highest order 

I had it at an opening of 100M a month before release.  #CalledIt

5 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

The success of IT has changed nothing as of yet, let alone producing an impact for years.

Also, you're now trying to use "a story" instead of "the story" to define the discussion and that distinction is significant. That's fine except the starting point was the post with "the box office stories" text. I wasn't arguing the "a story" point that you have now pivoted to here. Please feel free to continue discussing the "a story" subject. I may chime in again if you complete the 360 and return to "the story" discussion.

If your entire case is that one number is higher than another then yes, you're right.  I'm not sure why that warrants a discussion to begin with....but that's ok.  

Btw I think IT is "THE story" of the year but as you have narrowly defined that in a very specific way I was only "pivoting" for your sake.  I don't need to get the last word, so your retort which I'm sure is coming will be the last.  Enjoy your evening (I mean that btw. No beef here)

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

It, Wonder Woman, and Get Out are the biggest surprises.

But Wonder Woman was a superhero movie (which has become just as frontloaded as the YA franchise - although they're so similar in demographics generally) in a universe that had three films that received mixed to negative WOM yet it opened to $103m and then had incredible legs. A 4x multiplier, ESPECIALLY in this day and age, is nothing short of stunning. 

IT...come on...that just blew everything out of the water. It more than doubled the record of the previous OW record for a horror movie and it's holding surprisingly well. IN SEPTEMBER. 

Although you could definitely argue that Get Out was just as impressive. A film opening to $33m and then finishing at, what, $175m?

Beauty and the Beast was a monster, and its performance was incredibly impressive but nowhere near as surprising as the films mentioned above. Its $175m OW was on par with IM3 and Civil War...yet it finished nearly $100m above them.

Yep, these are my top 3 box office stories of the year so far. Easily.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Seems like the forums been pretty quiet looking at the banned users list for awhile. I didn't even know he was gone. Not surprised though, seems like he was banned every other week for something.

Edit: Just searched BKB because I was curious what happened.

Reaffirms my stance to stay far away from the US Politics and Franchise Wars threads (only reason I was in the latter today was because BKB was mentioned).

Edited by somebody85

It forecast:

Remainder of this week: 6.8M (235.2M Total)

Sep 22: 27M (9M weekdays, 271.2M Total)

Sep 29: 15M (5.5M weekdays, 291.7M Total)

Oct 6: 8M (2.8M weekdays, 302.5M Total)

Oct 13: 4M (1.4M weekdays, 307.9M Total)

Oct 20: 2M (700k weekdays, 310.6M Total)

Oct 27: 1.3M (500k weekdays, 312.4M Total)

Nov 3: 500k (200k weekdays, 313.1M Total)

Final Total: 316M (2.64x)

The two big weekends that will decide the final total are the 29th and 6th. There aren't many wide releases next weekend, so It may rebound from two back to back 50%+ drops. October 6 has the question mark of Blade Runner double features as well, which could help prop up that weekend. However, the 13th has four new releases including a PG-13 Blumhouse joint, and the following weekend has a whopping 5 releases; the TC drops are really going to start on these weekends. Either way, It's looking to have some pretty good legs given the massive opening.

mother!:

Remainder of this week: 1.1M (10.1M Total)

Sep 22: 4.2M (1.6M weekdays, 15.9M Total)

Sep 29: 2.5M (900k weekdays, 19.3M Total)

Oct 6: 1M (400k weekdays, 20.7M Total)

Final Total: 23M (3.07x)

Unfortunately, this is a too little too late situation. The weekdays so far are suggesting a hold in the mid-40's is possible (so you're goddamn right I'm going to predict it), and next weekend probably won't see a TC over 500-600 theaters or so. It's getting destroyed once Blade Runner is out, though. Who knows; maybe if Paramount gave this a TC a little bigger than their typical adult fare gets, this may have had a chance at meeting the production budget domestically (if the 30M one is accurate)

American Assassin:

Remainder of this week: 2.2M (20.1M Total)

Sep 22: 7M (2.7M weekdays, 29.8M Total)

Sep 29: 3.8M (1.5M weekdays, 35.1M Total)

Oct 6: 1.7M (700k weekdays, 37.5M Total)

Oct 13: 800k (300k weekdays, 38.6M Total)

Final Total: 41M (2.77x)

Well shit @Alli, your club is going to be VERY close. I'm using a slightly modified Mag 7 as a comparison for the upcoming weekend, but if it has a sub-50% drop, your club is in big trouble. You have to hope American Made hits it hard enough next weekend :lol: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

It forecast:

Remainder of this week: 6.8M (235.2M Total)

Sep 22: 27M (9M weekdays, 271.2M Total)

mother!:

Remainder of this week: 1.1M (10.1M Total)

Sep 22: 4.2M (1.6M weekdays, 15.9M Total)

Sep 29: 2.5M (900k weekdays, 19.3M Total)

Despite loosing premium screens a 55% drop is not likely for IT this weekend. It could have another close to 50% drop though for 29-31 (which is a 48-52% drop from 60).

Feel like that 3rd weekend drop for mother! is a bit optimistic (at -40%). It's gonna take a hit in theater count gong by it's small numbers.

5 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Lol, at some people NOW pretending like they always knew IT would be a smash.

I find this argument boring but that little bit was hilarious. That's some reality retconning of the highest order 

:lol: Even after that 123.4 ow folks were not sure about the legs. 300 was not considered a lock and even Gitesh had it only at 275+ (though he is always conservative).

IT's 2nd weekend breaking the previous Fall OW record (held by Gravity) is something no one would have seen coming.

• Like 1

When it comes to HUGE surprises, 2016 takes the cake imo. That year was insane.

- DP does 133m/363m.

- Zootopia goes over BVS by 10m+ after opening to 75m.

- TJB explodes and goes over DP.

- Not done yet. SLOP explodes and goes over TJB.

CW, DORY, RO do great but will keep them out of this list as folks already had high expectations to being with (even though everyone was going a bit low on Dory close to the release and 350-400 seemed realistic).

2015 had two mega punches in JW's 650+(none of the 2016 movies come anywhere close to JW btw) and then JW being beaten by a huge ~45% by SW7 for the #1 dom crown. Oh and Furious 7. IO+Minions animation combo was pretty dizzying too. Also, American Sniper was a mid-January 2015 movie by all accounts. 2014 December only had it in 4 freaking theaters. So including that, 2015 does gives 2016 a run for it's money when it comes to surprises.

2017 has BATB, IT and WONDR but the year fades compared to both the previous years when it comes to blowing your socks off (though BATB's 2nd weekend falling less than 50% and doing a stunning 90m+ was pretty earth shaking). No matter what SW8 does we will have seen it coming unless it does 950-1b.

Edited by a2knet

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

:lol: Even after that 123.4 ow folks were not sure about the legs. 300 was not considered a lock and even Gitesh had it only at 275+ (though he is always conservative).

IT's 2nd weekend breaking the previous Fall OW record (held by Gravity) is something no one would have seen coming.

The film has exceeded the vast majority of expectations for it's total after only two weekends and someone is going to imply that everyone expected it's gross. Give me a break.