baumer

The LEGO Ninjago Movie (2017)

Grade it  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This was the last movie I expected a Locke reference in, but hey, there it was.

Had a decent time with this. The relentless randomness was definitely a bit grating at times but some of the jokes were right up my alley. Pretty much every Theroux bit landed for me.

Edited by aabattery

12 hours ago, aabattery said:

This was the last movie I expected a Locke reference in, but hey, there it was.

Had a decent time with this. The relentless randomness was definitely a bit grating at times but some of the jokes were right up my alley. Pretty much every Theroux bit landed for me.

Please tell me about the Locke reference

Just now, MrPink said:

Please tell me about the Locke reference

There's a montage of fake Kung Fu movies at one part in the movie. Bunch of fake titles with live-action footage flipping through. One of them was called Locke 2: Locked and Loaded with a guy behind a steering wheel punching the air.

It was over pretty quickly so I couldn't tell if it was the real Tom Hardy (I somewhat doubt it).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

There's a montage of fake Kung Fu movies at one part in the movie. Bunch of fake titles with live-action footage flipping through. One of them was called Locke 2: Locked and Loaded with a guy behind a steering wheel punching the air.

It was over pretty quickly so I couldn't tell if it was the real Tom Hardy (I somewhat doubt it).

That's hella random

• Thanks 1

The LEGO Ninjago Movie sadly trades away this franchise's surprising creativity for expected mediocrity. When someone hear Hollywood is making a movie off a toy, this is the best quality they expect, a fun but forgettable lark that has a few inspired gags but mostly tires throughout the runtime. Theroux gives an enjoyable vocal performance, but he's the only one stands out. The more realistic elements they add to the animation of these movies (fire and ice join the fray in this one), the more charm is lost. It also is overlong and has a very artificial heart to it that annoys more than anything else.

The average audience member probably will laugh a lot during The LEGO Ninjago Movie, but the retread nature of the story along with more misses than hits in the humor department will ultimately leave one wishing WB had just bothered not making this movie. Worst of all, it finally feels like a product, something meant to sell toys more than entertain. Hopefully the original builders of the franchise return for the next one, because otherwise, it may be time to put LEGO movies in the clearance aisle. C