baumer

What Happened to Monday (2017)

Grade it  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's like a 'hit and miss' thing, yet I didn't mind that I spent 2 hours from my life watching that.

Basic story is great: In the near future to avoid the overpopulation of the Earth, every sibilings must be hibernated by a special ministry according to the state law. But one day seven baby girl were born by the same mother who died during labour. Their fatheir (William Defoe) secretly raises them and named the girls after the days. They also got only 1 personal ID and use it according to their names (Sunday go out on Sundays, Monday on Mondays and so on). 30 years later, one day Monday never arrived at home at a Monday night. So the rest of the sisters try to find out what happened to her.

The only weak point in the screenplay, when we (i mean the audience) find out too early in the movie who or what is behind the missing. Otherwise good action scenes, and Noomi Rapace was a good casting choice also.

6,5/10

Edited by zozo

Noomi Rapace  (:wub:) is the main attraction of this trite dystopic mashing of Equilibrium and 1984 with countless scifi cliches. But the european atmosphere and Noomi playing seven roles (VFX are astounding for a B-movie like this) provide enough meat to sustain this 2 hours romp where brutal action meets a weird tale about identity, birth control and family ties. Glenn Close plays an Orwellian mash-up of Margaret Sanger and Joseph Mengele while Willem Dafoe's character makes (too) brief appearances as a grand-dad doing whatever it takes (if your stomach is firmly attached, some gore ) to ensure his granddaughters's survival in a hostile world where siblings are banned.

The closing song is amazing though.

B-.

Edited by dashrendar44