grim22

Teen Titans Go! to the Movies | WB | July 27 2018 | Animated movie

1 hour ago, commendable said:

This is going to be in the TOP 10 of 2018. Calling it now. Never understimate kids movies and there is a reason this show is played nearly 24/7 on CN

If that happens, it would be one of the biggest surprises in box office history. Not even Pokemon, Rugrats, or Spongebob had any of their movies get into the top 10 of the year. 

I was surprised to discover the cartoon actually has much less of a following than Friendship is Magic according to Google Trends.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F0k0vl4g,%2Fm%2F0czdsgs

So forgive me if I'm not on the "major hit" train yet. Also kind of carrying some residual bitterness from how disappointing that movie was plus DC fatigue so I'm probably never going to root for this to be.

Would appreciate Tara Strong becoming more of a name, though.

Edited by tribefan695

4 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I was surprised to discover the cartoon actually has much less of a following than Friendship is Magic according to Google Trends.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F0k0vl4g,%2Fm%2F0czdsgs

So forgive me if I'm not on the "major hit" train yet. Also kind of carrying some residual bitterness from how disappointing that movie was plus DC fatigue so I'm probably never going to root for this to be.

Would appreciate Tara Strong becoming more of a name, though.

More likely for MLP because there is a significantly large adult base there. I know a lot of people who my age and slightly older who are bronies (my cousin is one of them). TTG is mainly kid based. Doesn't have the significantly vocal adult crowd backing it online. Little kids will be a main driving force for its (potential) success. 

A summer release date also helps too (something MLP: The Movie didn't have)

1 hour ago, Rorschach said:

More likely for MLP because there is a significantly large adult base there. I know a lot of people who my age and slightly older who are bronies (my cousin is one of them). TTG is mainly kid based. Doesn't have the significantly vocal adult crowd backing it online. Little kids will be a main driving force for its (potential) success. 

A summer release date also helps too (something MLP: The Movie didn't have)

I see the logic here but it still seems so odd to make for a comic book cartoon of all things.

2 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I see the logic here but it still seems so odd to make for a comic book cartoon of all things.

I think part of it is that TTG has had a growing popularity over time. When it was released, it was appearing after the much loved, but canceled (though soon to be revived) Young Justice, and the overly comedic styling was seen as something of an affront. In addition, while it spun off of the popular Teen Titans cartoon, it wasn't quite the same. So it basically had two groups (that did cross over) who weren't inclined to be charitable to it.

Still, it was popular with kids, and it survived. And it's turned out that they make some funny, smart, quality episodes with it, and so more recently you're seeing people voice support for it. Arguably, this is a good time to get a movie out, because it's hitting when the iron is hot, so to speak.

That is COMPLETELY different than MLP, which started off like a rocket, and basically was loved all around from the get-go. It also arose during a prosperous period that tied into a peak for webcomics and a growth boom for when fandom found Tumblr. The criticism that arises from it is much more a case of toxic fandom rather than any issues with the show itself. The disappointment of the movie probably has more to do with it being too late to really capitalize on the popularity. The show premiered in 2010 and the movie was in 2017, which means that if it had an initial target audience of, say, 5-7 year old girls, those original fans would then be 12-14, and probably not wanting to continue with it.

3 hours ago, A Roc in Time said:

I think part of it is that TTG has had a growing popularity over time. When it was released, it was appearing after the much loved, but canceled (though soon to be revived) Young Justice, and the overly comedic styling was seen as something of an affront. In addition, while it spun off of the popular Teen Titans cartoon, it wasn't quite the same. So it basically had two groups (that did cross over) who weren't inclined to be charitable to it.

Still, it was popular with kids, and it survived. And it's turned out that they make some funny, smart, quality episodes with it, and so more recently you're seeing people voice support for it. Arguably, this is a good time to get a movie out, because it's hitting when the iron is hot, so to speak.

That is COMPLETELY different than MLP, which started off like a rocket, and basically was loved all around from the get-go. It also arose during a prosperous period that tied into a peak for webcomics and a growth boom for when fandom found Tumblr. The criticism that arises from it is much more a case of toxic fandom rather than any issues with the show itself. The disappointment of the movie probably has more to do with it being too late to really capitalize on the popularity. The show premiered in 2010 and the movie was in 2017, which means that if it had an initial target audience of, say, 5-7 year old girls, those original fans would then be 12-14, and probably not wanting to continue with it.

Hasn't MLP been around since the 1980s?