grim22

Teen Titans Go! to the Movies | WB | July 27 2018 | Animated movie

Spongebob and Rugrats were big hits, but then Thornberries, Hey Arnold, and PPG all struck out back to back to back. Not sure why, they were all big shows back then, but I also don't think Nick and CN put them to their full potential.

Will be interesting to see how this one does. I think there will be a little bit of a curiosity factor with this.

12 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Spongebob and Rugrats were big hits, but then Thornberries, Hey Arnold, and PPG all struck out back to back to back. Not sure why, they were all big shows back then, but I also don't think Nick and CN put them to their full potential.

Will be interesting to see how this one does. I think there will be a little bit of a curiosity factor with this.

I think Spongebob has cultural omnipresence while those other shows do not (plus Paramount put out a lot of marketing for both movies).  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Why did Hey Arnold do so poorly?! I’ve never watched the cartoon, but it always seemed very popular.

The Hey Arnold movie got poor reviews and a lot of that show's appeal was in its character drama that I imagine wasn't translated well to the big screen. Not very dissimilar to what happened to the MLP Movie last year.

Teen Titans however is basically 22 minutes of stupidity so I imagine this won't be as critic-sensitive.

7 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Why did Hey Arnold do so poorly?! I’ve never watched the cartoon, but it always seemed very popular.

It was surrounded by major kid competition (Scooby-Doo, Lilo and Stitch), and while the show was popular, it wasn't a cultural phenomenon on the level of Rugrats or a massive breakthrough success like Spongebob. It also didn't help that it was essentially a TV movie plastered on the big screen at the last second, which almost never guarantees massive success, and there was some internal conflict going on between the creator and Nickelodeon.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

Is this the first DC Animated movie with an actual wide theatrical run? I know The Killing Joke and Return of the Caped Crusaders had one night things.

Lego Batman?

Yep,the first is Batman: Mask of the Phantasm 

Edited by bangbingchan

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

The Hey Arnold movie got poor reviews and a lot of that show's appeal was in its character drama that I imagine wasn't translated well to the big screen. Not very dissimilar to what happened to the MLP Movie last year.

Teen Titans however is basically 22 minutes of stupidity so I imagine this won't be as critic-sensitive.

Also for My Little Pony Lionsgate was the distributor, which always hurts. It should have done much better.

1 minute ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Also for My Little Pony Lionsgate was the distributor, which always hurts. It should have done much better.

Lionsgate was an okay distributor. The show didn't have that huge appeal to translate to big numbers, though I think it could have done 10m+ under a bigger company. 

In the case of the Hey Arnold film, it literally was a TV movie (The Jungle Movie was meant to be the theatrical film). Nick / Paramount only gave it a theatrical release because they were still high on the success of the Rugrats Movie, and wanted to make more theatrical films based off their TV shows. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jandrew said:

And those films came out at a different time. Nowadays kids have way more content and options then I did back when those shows were originally on. A big kids show today probably doesn't get the attention a mid-range kids show would've gotten when I was a kid.

1 hour ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I think Hey Arnold was a good cultural hit. I don't think Paramount or Nick tried to push it. Whole thing was lazy. There was no catch to it or big marketing splash, no big tie-ins, soundtrack, nothing. I saw Rugrats in Paris, had the game on N64, and I know the soundtrack had some jams. Arnold didn't have that.

Arnold also had no hook. Rugrats was Rugrats, Spongebob was Spongebob, Rugrats in Paris: mom for Chuckie maybe, new baby, and Rugrats go international. Go Wild: crossover, smellovision gimmick. Thornberries: Eliza looses powers? Plus good reviews. Spongebob 2: live action superheroes.

Arnold also only had a budget of $3 million. Even Rugrats in Paris had one of $30m, and the movie was on the tail end of Arnold's popularity.

Biggest issue along with no hook was the story wasn't compelling. They already did the "save the neighborhood" storyline in the show, probably more than once. The movie should've been what Jungle Movie was: trying to find his parents. That's all fans of the show cared about.

June 2002 was also jampacked. Scooby Doo, Lilo and Stitch, plus Like Mike, Men in Black 2, and PPG a week later. And Crocodile Hunter the week after that. Spiderman and Clones were also still legging it out. The movie was just doomed from the start. Good thing is it didn't have any bearing on the show.

• Like 2

Adapting cartoons that are reliant on character development is more of a risk than ones that aren't. With shows like Teen Titans, Spongebob, and The Simpsons, fans don't really care about how the story progresses over time, they just turn it on to laugh for a half hour. There's such an innate appeal in the characters being stupid that they can go on for a really long time without any concern for "running out of ideas". Rugrats, Hey Arnold, and Wild Thornberrys however were a bit more serialized from what I recall, and it's harder to continue attracting a large mainstream audience with a theatrical film in those cases. 

Edited by tribefan695

MLP had the distinct disadvantage of being very middling - it wouldn't convince anyone to watch the show and it felt like a poor imitation of the characters i've seen in the show for years.

If this can avoid that - I don't know about the character development in the show - it might at least be ok.

I can see Angry Birds numbers for this. Kids eat up this shit. I babysit and almost all of my clients watch this show. This is Cartoon Network’s Spongebob. Probably the best chance for a Warner family film to get over $100M even over Paddington 2.  This is not the “$100M for everything me talking”, this is rational me.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1