SLAM!

Chappaquiddick | Entertainment Studios | April 6th, 2018 | directed by John Curran | Jason Clarke plays Ted Kennedy and Kate Mara plays Mary Jo Kopechne

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=&release=&date=2017-12-01&showweeks=5&p=.htm

Box Office Mojo reports that true-story Oscar-bait film Chappaquiddick is being released by distributor Entertainment Studios in a wide release the week before Star Wars.

The film revolves around the 1970s Chappaquiddick incident and stars Jason Clarke as Ted Kennedy and Kate Mara as Mary Jo Kopechne. Other cast members include Ed Helms and Bruce Dern.

John Curran's biggest hit as director thus far was The Painted Veil in 2006.

Please let me know if there is already a thread for this; I searched for it but did not find it.

Edited by slambros
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, slambros said:

The onpy other film releasing wide on its opening weekend is Villa Capri starring Morgan Freeman. So the weekend could make for a small, but interesting box office weekend.

Disaster Artist is going wide that weekend too; BOM just refuses to add in expansions until the week prior :lol: 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Disaster Artist is going wide that weekend too; BOM just refuses to add in expansions until the week prior :lol: 

I find that really annoying.

I wish we could know when a film's expansions are in advance. I feel like Box Office Mojo struggles to keep up with a very tentative industry.

As for box office prospects, if any film is going to draw in a large amount of people in early December, I think it's going to be The Disaster Artist. We'll see how well Entertainment Studios markets Chappaquiddick, though.

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

And they're still releasing it wide!

I don't know if this is the best decision.

They need to at least put a trailer in basically the next five seconds if they want this film to achieve anything.

I just don't about this, I would have put it out on weekend when there was no competition; now, It's swarmed by competition. Darkest Hour might gross more on that weekend than this one, for pete's sake. Coco, Justice League, Molly's Game, and Murder on the Orient Express is all going to be WAY too much for this film to make a dent.

I just don't know about this. Someone else said Entertainment Studios was a bad distributor, and that person... might actually be right, now that I think about it.

Edited by slambros

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

http://deadline.com/2017/10/chappaquiddick-entertainment-studios-thanksgiving-holiday-opening-box-office-1202183003/

Now moved to April 6, leaving Coco (and also Polaroid but we all know that ain't coming out) the only movie debuting on the Thanksgiving frame.

Perhaps Sony will release Roman J. Israel Esq. wide on that weekend.

Chappaquiddick's date change really does leave the Thanksgiving date wide open for a smaller film to take the opportunity.

I think Last Flag Flying should go wide on that weekend. There are many people in America that are thankful for our veterans and what they do for the country.

I think if Entertainment Studios has moved this one, then they want to be fully focused on Hostiles for the season. And to that, I say good luck.

Now I remember that the same thing where the awards season film got pushed into the early part of the next year happened to The Monuments Men...

1 minute ago, harrycaul said:

Everyone ready for this juggernaut this weekend?

I said this in the weekend thread but this is actually getting a really heavy ad push. Entertainment Studios managed to make at least something out of Hostiles earlier this year so maybe they'll get somewhat lucky again.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I said this in the weekend thread but this is actually getting a really heavy ad push. Entertainment Studios managed to make at least something out of Hostiles earlier this year so maybe they'll get somewhat lucky again.

I just read this was acquired for North America  for $4M up front and a commitment to $16M in marketing. Maybe they have to hold to that marketing number even after they moved it out of awards season.

52 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

I just read this was acquired for North America  for $4M up front and a commitment to $16M in marketing. Maybe they have to hold to that marketing number even after they moved it out of awards season.

If they advertise it the way they advertised Hostiles, I could see this doing Hostiles business. The older audience for Oscar-type films tend to be underserved during these months so they might gravitate towards it.

Now Chappaquiddick doesn't have the star power or the advertising push to pull it off, but The Monument Men was able to gross an OW of $22M and a total of $78M as a wide release in February 2014. So a film of this historical type winning suring the springtime isn't new.

A gross around The Zookeeper's Wife would be good for this in my opinion.