KeepItU25071906

Monday: IT 1,9 mln

5 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

And at the end of day at the list of most profitable movies of year, only one will be on Top 3, and it won't be Spider Man. 

If you want to twist this way...Spider-man Homecoming will boost an already massive merchandise :hahaha:

#PRESSED

• Haha 2

I like how SMH's run was basically "did what it should have"  and that was when China was already factored in.  Now that the China numbers are in people coming out of the woodwork and trying to twist the narrative into SMH having this "spectacular" run that everyone should be super impressed with.  

End of the day,  SMH did what it was supposed to and that's it.  Stop embarrassing yourselves over this.  

48 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I like how SMH's run was basically "did what it should have"  and that was when China was already factored in.  Now that the China numbers are in people coming out of the woodwork and trying to twist the narrative into SMH having this "spectacular" run that everyone should be super impressed with.  

End of the day,  SMH did what it was supposed to and that's it.  Stop embarrassing yourselves over this.  

Almost 900 m wasn't guaranteed.

Neither was 800 or 700 m.

And after looking at other franchises get fatigued like POTC, Transformers and Planet of the Apes not even 600 m was a sure thing.

Instead, SMH came pretty damn close to being the biggest Spider-man movie in history.

And how many reboots start with a film making close to 900 m?

Give credit, where credit is due. Just because Marvel Studios make these success stories look easy doesn't mean they actually are. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Almost 900 m wasn't guaranteed.

Neither was 800 or 700 m.

And after looking at other franchises get fatigued like POTC, Transformers and Planet of the Apes not even 600 m was a sure thing.

Instead, SMH came pretty damn close to being the biggest Spider-man movie in history.

And how many reboots start with a film making close to 900 m?

Give credit, where credit is due. Just because Marvel Studios make these success stories look easy doesn't mean they actually are. 

But since Marvel has already had so many success stories, another one in their pocket isn't really a surprise anymore. Still impressive, but not shocking/surprising. A few people were expecting 1b+ before release (which I agree was always unreasonable) and why did they predict that? Because of Marvel's track record. A Marvel Studios movie doing well (especially a more obscure one) is still really impressive, but it's also pretty much expected nowadays. Not so much with IT. Yes, people also had high hopes for that one, but it destroyed even the most optimistic predictions. Not taking anything away from SM:H, but it's nowhere near as shocking as IT's run (or Wonder Woman for that matter).

7 hours ago, John Marston said:

Except a movie like It really should have some frontloading

its not a big deal 

Thank you.

I'm not criticizing the film, just saying that the drops for the third week are going to be higher than I thought they would be.  It's okay to state facts, it doesn't mean you're shitting on a film.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What's the average WW box office of any film starring Downey Jr. as Tony Stark?   All the other stuff you mentioned doesn't really play a factor,  Stark was promoted as a co-lead.  And this is why.  

• Like 1

This year's "stories" (at least US domestically) have definitely been...

1. Horror surprises - it's gotta be the #1 story since these breakouts have happened all year

2. Supers stay super (both in quality and box office)

3. Franchises face domestic fatigue (except if they are superheroes...or probably Star Wars, but it's not Dec yet:)

4. Disney nostalgia for its older animated product still reigns

5. Comedy is hard (both to make and sell)

6. August got abandoned - may it never be again:)...

Guess we still have 4 more lines to write with 4 months left to finish the "top 10 stories of the year"...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I’d add in Wonder Woman making $400m and a 4x multiplier. 

That would be third.  But to me, there is no comparison when talking about a movie that cost 150 million and is part of the DCU to a movie that was a 30 million hope and prayer and then blew up into something no one saw coming when it was first announced.  WW is a terrific unblelievably amazing story.  But it's still a comic book movie.  IT just took us all by storm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

IT isn’t having average legs for a horror film.

The fact that it’s avoided any 60% drops despite the gigantic level that it’s playing at is incredible. 

I was hoping it would play more like Deadpool.  The first two weeks were so out of this world phenomenal for IT I was greedy and was hoping that this third weekend would be too.  It still might be but a 54% drop from last Monday kind of bums me out a bit.

1 minute ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

That would be third.  But to me, there is no comparison when talking about a movie that cost 150 million and is part of the DCU to a movie that was a 30 million hope and prayer and then blew up into something no one saw coming when it was first announced.  WW is a terrific unblelievably amazing story.  But it's still a comic book movie.  IT just took us all by storm.

Definitely.

I’m over the moon about IT. So happy for the genre. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

What's the average WW box office of any film starring Downey Jr. as Tony Stark?   All the other stuff you mentioned doesn't really play a factor,  Stark was promoted as a co-lead.  And this is why.  

So you're saying if ASM2 had Tony Stark for 15 minutes it would've made almost 900 m?

Lmao.