Fullbuster

[Official Thread] Live-Action Movies Adapted from Animes and Mangas

Sword-Art-Online.jpg

These movies are increasingly numerous and I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread in order to talk about everything related to live-action movies adapted from animes and mangas such as Ghost in the Shell, Speed Racer or Death Note on Netflix. That could help to keep track of this nascent part of Hollywood. You also can speak about Japanese movies adapted from animes, of course :)

Among them : Alita Battle Angel, produced by James Cameron and expected in July 2018.

Alita-Battle-Angel-1.jpg

Edited by Fullbuster

19 minutes ago, slambros said:

Well, there's Alita: Battle Angel, Lionsgate's Naruto, Akira, and now Your Name. I think this might become extremely necessary thanks to those projects!

I can see that I needed it myself, I didn't even know for Naruto...a live-action Naruto? That's extremely risky :o

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

All will bomb. Next year's punching bag is Alita just like Valerian was this year's punching bag for being too expensive and not having bankable leads. 

Some of them are likely to be successful and could count on the Asian market that is more open to these products.

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

I can see that I needed it myself, I didn't even know for Naruto...a live-action Naruto? That's extremely risky :o

It was a few months ago but there were reports about it from publications like Kotaku. There is concept art available to look at somewhere out there and it looks like they're headed in the right direction from what I saw. Lionsgate might be wanting a new franchise after Hunger Games so Naruto is a very plausible choice. However, lofty choices such as this may or may not end up made, so we'll have to see.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, slambros said:

It was a few months ago but there were reports about it from publications like Kotaku. There is concept art available to look at somewhere out there and it looks like they're headed in the right direction from what I saw. Lionsgate might be wanting a new franchise after Hunger Games so Naruto is a very plausible choice. However, lofty choices such as this may or may not end up made, so we'll have to see.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt ^^

3 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt ^^

Here's some information about it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/red-writers-tackling-rewrite-live-action-naruto-movie-1029586

Avi Arad attached to produce

former-vfx-artist Michael Gracey  (The Greatest Showman) to direct

Jon and Erich Hoeber (*Red* and Red 2) rewriting the script

(Red is surrounded by asteriks because it is significant for being a really good film.)

• Thanks 1

I feel like "Your Name" could be massive. It was a wonderful film but very simple at the same time,  I find it hard to believe that JJ could fuck it up.

Stuff like Naruto, Dragon Ball and GITS are way harder to adapt to film. I'd love an Attack on Titan show on HBO, easily the next GoT, but they're too busy murdering the story to fit in 2 hours.

• Like 2

On 29/09/2017 at 9:22 PM, expensiveho said:

I feel like "Your Name" could be massive. It was a wonderful film but very simple at the same time,  I find it hard to believe that JJ could fuck it up.

Stuff like Naruto, Dragon Ball and GITS are way harder to adapt to film. I'd love an Attack on Titan show on HBO, easily the next GoT, but they're too busy murdering the story to fit in 2 hours.

Yeah, Attack on Titans could be fantastic with a big budget. Maybe by HBO or Netflix? That'd be awesome :)

31 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

That's the thing, I don't know if Akira is well-suited to Taika's style. I think he would do better with zany, more comedic material.

It's true, I was mostly refering to the guy's talent. With Moana and Thor 3 the guy knows what he's doing :)

I can't tell more about Akira because I didn't see the anime, unfortunately.

Not really a fan of live adaptions because they're usually low budget and done by unknown directors.

Alita: Battle Angel is a different beast.

$200m dollar Budget making it the biggest budget for a live adaption.

James Cameron as Producer.

James Cameron wrote the script. He also wrote the script to Terminator, T2, Titanic, Avatar, The Abyss and Aliens.

Robert Rodriquez as Director.

Multiple oscar winning actors. Christopher Waltz, Jennifer Connelly and Mahershala Ali. Also other famous actors like Michelle Rodriquez and Jackie Earle Haley.

It's promising!

• Like 3

On 10/10/2017 at 5:09 PM, Fullbuster said:

Yeah, Attack on Titans could be fantastic with a big budget. Maybe by HBO or Netflix? That'd be awesome :)

That's probably the best way they could adapt it. More breathing room for the story, the fanbase is pretty big already so the show would already have a built-in audience, etc. 

If they did decide to go the movie route, I have no I idea who they'd get to direct it. Sam Raimi?

• Like 1