Alli

Weekend thread | IT Floats again in its 4th weekend: 17.3M...Cruise and Kingsman fight it out for 2nd: 17.016 and 17.0

http://deadline.com/2017/09/tom-cruise-emma-stone-american-made-battle-of-the-sexes-flatliners-weekend-box-office-1202179279/

Tom Cruise’s latest movie American Made made $960K last night in previews at 2,455 theaters which is one of his lowest Thursday nights in recent history.

Just to look. Paramount’s Jack Reacher: Never Go Back last fall made $1.33M at 2,850 on its Thursday (opening day $8.8M, $22.8M weekend), Doug Liman’s (who also helmed American MadeEdge of Tomorrow made $1.8M and Oblivion hooked $1.1M in midnight shows. Heck, even Cruise’s disaster The Mummy did better at $2.66M back in June.

• Like 1

This is a movie that just screamed "wait for Netflix". That's not a diss, many good and enjoyable films are categorized by many(including me) that way. 

It's just not looking like American Made is a film that demands your $10-13usd evening ticket money. Matinee at Regal here is $9. 

I just saw Eddie the Eagle from last year on Netflix this past Tuesday night. A real feel good film with fun performances. No way I was spending $12usd to see that but I like both main leads and stories such as that is. Some films just aren't worth theater prices and aren't improved by the big screen experience. Chalk up the odds of rolling the dice you have some rude texters and/or talkers around you and you're better off watching movies at home. 

I've said for years if Hollywood could find a way to create a tiered ticket price based on budgets of films, I'd go more often. 

I shouldn't pay the same price for a product that cost $30m to produce as one that cost $200m. I don't for majority of products.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15M should happen.

2 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

This is a movie that just screamed "wait for Netflix". That's not a diss, many good and enjoyable films are categorized by many(including me) that way. 

It's just not looking like American Made is a film that demands your $10-13usd evening ticket money. Matinee at Regal here is $9. 

I just saw Eddie the Eagle from last year on Netflix this past Tuesday night. A real feel good film with fun performances. No way I was spending $12usd to see that but I like both main leads and stories such as that is. Some films just aren't worth theater prices and aren't improved by the big screen experience. Chalk up the odds of rolling the dice you have some rude texters and/or talkers around you and you're better off watching movies at home. 

I've said for years if Hollywood could find a way to create a tiered ticket price based on budgets of films, I'd go more often. 

I shouldn't pay the same price for a product that cost $30m to produce as one that cost $200m. I don't for majority of products.

Just sign up for Moviepass for $9 a month.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

15M should happen.

Just sign up for Moviepass for $9 a month.

I have thought about that. When I looked into it originally the service didn't allow one to get tickets in advance. Majority of films I want to see I try to see are on Preview or Opening night. Looking at the site now I didn't see any new FAQ that says otherwise. 

I've just had my first child so the reality is how I used to watch my "must see" films is going to change and I may indeed go the Moviepass route. Thanks for bringing back to my attention! :)

• Like 3

Just now, Captain Craig said:

I have thought about that. When I looked into it originally the service didn't allow one to get tickets in advance. Majority of films I want to see I try to see are on Preview or Opening night. Looking at the site now I didn't see any new FAQ that says otherwise. 

I've just had my first child so the reality is how I used to watch my "must see" films is going to change and I may indeed go the Moviepass route. Thanks for bringing back to my attention! :)

Yeah, reserved seating is the biggest reason why I don't have it. You have to get the tickets the day of and reserve seats in person for most chains, and my theater doesn't have large capacity auditoriums. The movie would either have to be a flop or several weeks into its run to not risk bad seats.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yeah, reserved seating is the biggest reason why I don't have it. You have to get the tickets the day of and reserve seats in person for most chains, and my theater doesn't have large capacity auditoriums. The movie would either have to be a flop or several weeks into its run to not risk bad seats.

ah didn't know this about the reserved seating so yeah this cancels out any idea of me getting Moviepass now.  

Just now, 75Live said:

ah didn't know this about the reserved seating so yeah this cancels out any idea of me getting Moviepass now.  

There are a few smaller chains that MoviePass allows you to reserve in the app, but the big ones aren't included save for a few AMCs in Boston and Denver I think.

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

There are a few smaller chains that MoviePass allows you to reserve in the app, but the big ones aren't included save for a few AMCs in Boston and Denver I think.

Well I didn't like that you can only use it once in 24 hours or whatever it was the last time I checked, so yeah, good idea but it won't work in my case it seems.  OH well, glad it works for most people though :) 

1 minute ago, 75Live said:

Well I didn't like that you can only use it once in 24 hours or whatever it was the last time I checked, so yeah, good idea but it won't work in my case it seems.  OH well, glad it works for most people though :) 

I think they changed it to per day instead of exactly 24 hours, but yeah.

Yeah, the only drawback I have with MoviePass is that you can't buy reserve tickets, which stinks when it comes to bigger movies like Star Wars or comic book films that are big presale titles. But I can't complain otherwise since I save some money on movie tickets (and really comes in handy for times such as Oscar season).

• Like 1

All the signs were pointing to it not happening, but I was still hoping American made could top 20M for the weekend. Just so that September doesn't have to go out with a whimper.

At least the stage is set for Blade Runner next week to dominate!

1 hour ago, Captain Craig said:

That's Moviepass...availability for the $200M budget films (or highly desired films) will be nil at desirable times the 1st few weeks, but you can get opening weekend tickets for pretty much all the 2nd tier budget movies, effectively giving you different prices per movie (since the longer you wait, the "cheaper" a movie gets as it moves to 2nd tier then Netflix):)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1