Alli

Weekend thread | IT Floats again in its 4th weekend: 17.3M...Cruise and Kingsman fight it out for 2nd: 17.016 and 17.0

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Anyway, looking to next weekend, my predictions:

Blade Runner 2049: $52M

The Mountain Between Us: $13M

My Little Pony: The Movie: $8M

MLP has $2 tickets coming on Tuesday (which will probably get "added" to box office as $8-13 value)...so it could see a few million more just from its coming promotions...

57 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, the only drawback I have with MoviePass is that you can't buy reserve tickets, which stinks when it comes to bigger movies like Star Wars or comic book films that are big presale titles. But I can't complain otherwise since I save some money on movie tickets (and really comes in handy for times such as Oscar season).

meh, if you go to any theater with a decent loyalty problem, you'll quickly rack up the points so you can buy advance tickets for good reserved seating. That's what I plan on doing for Ragnarok.

• Like 1

@WrathOfHan

10x:

Geostorm: Kong: Skull Island, Life, Wonder Woman, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Spider-Man: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes 4K, Transformers: The Last Knight, 47 Meters Down, The Big Sick Round 2, Megan Leavey

Flatliners: The Glass Castle, Annabelle: Creation, Logan Lucky, Good Time, 47 Meters Down, The Dark Tower, Wind River, It, The Hitman’s Bodyguard, mother!

8x:

Pitch Perfect 3: Baby Driver, Despicable Me 3, Spider-Man: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes 4K, The Big Sick, Spider-Man: Homecoming Round 2, The Big Sick Round 2, Girls Trip

American Made: The Book of Henry, Beatriz at Dinner, Dunkirk IMAX, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, Detroit, Logan Lucky, Megan Leavey, The Hitman’s Bodyguard

Blade Runner 2049: Wonder Woman, Dunkirk IMAX, The Glass Castle, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, Good Time, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D, Dunkirk Round 2, mother!

7x:

Justice League: Dunkirk IMAX, Wonder Woman Round 3, Spider-Man: Homecoming Round 2, Detroit, Dunkirk Round 2, It, The Hitman’s Bodyguard

Coco: Beauty and the Beast, Beauty and the Beast Round 2, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast 1991, Mulan, The LEGO Ninjago Movie

6x:

Ferdinand: The Boss Baby, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, Captain Underpants, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, The Emoji Movie

The Mountain Between Us: Wonder Woman Round 3, The Glass Castle, Detroit, Annabelle: Creation, Brigsby Bear, Girls Trip

5x:

The Foreigner: Baby Driver, Detroit, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D, Dunkirk Round 2, The Dark Tower

A Bad Moms Christmas: The Big Sick, Atomic Blonde, Annabelle: Creation, Girls Trip, It

Daddy’s Home 2: Transformers: The Last Knight, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, The Big Sick Round 2, Girls Trip, The LEGO Ninjago Movie

4x:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Round 2, Dunkirk IMAX

Thor: Ragnarok: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Round 2, Wonder Woman Round 3, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: Free Fire, A Ghost Story, Good Time, Wind River

Murder on the Orient Express: Wonder Woman, It Comes At Night, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, It

The Snowman: Atomic Blonde, Dunkirk Round 2, Wind River, mother!

My Little Pony: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, Captain Underpants, The Emoji Movie, The LEGO Ninjago Movie

3x:

Death Wish: Detroit, Annabelle: Creation, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D

Thank You for Your Service: A Ghost Story, The Glass Castle, The Dark Tower

Happy Death Day: Annabelle: Creation, 47 Meters Down, It

Suburbicon: Good Time, Wind River, mother!

Olaf’s Frozen Adventure: The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast 1991, Mulan

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: Spider-Man: Homecoming, Spider-Man: Homecoming Round 2, The LEGO Ninjago Movie

2x:

Deadpool 2: Logan, Logan Round 2

The Florida Project: Brigsby Bear, Good Time

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women: Wonder Woman, The Dark Tower

The Shape of Water: War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, mother!

Molly’s Game: Logan Lucky, mother!

Black Panther: The Hitman’s Bodyguard, mother!

1x:

The Greatest Showman: Despicable Me 3

Marshall: War for the Planet of the Apes 4K

The Star: The Emoji Movie

A Wrinkle in Time: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Darkest Hour: Atomic Blonde

Wonder: The Glass Castle

Only the Brave: Detroit

Call Me by Your Name: Brigsby Bear

Novitiate: Brigsby Bear

Breathe: Logan Lucky

The Killing of a Sacred Deer: Good Time

Same Kind of Different as Me: Megan Leavey

Forever My Girl: Megan Leavey

Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House: Dunkirk Round 2

Alpha: Dunkirk Round 2

Proud Mary: Girls Trip

The Current War: Wind River

Polaroid: Wind River

Ready Player One: It

Boo 2! A Madea Halloween: The Hitman’s Bodyguard

Downsizing: mother!

Paddington 2: The LEGO Ninjago Movie

Isle of Dogs: The LEGO Ninjago Movie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Craig said:

I've said for years if Hollywood could find a way to create a tiered ticket price based on budgets of films, I'd go more often. 

I shouldn't pay the same price for a product that cost $30m to produce as one that cost $200m. I don't for majority of products.

That is a hard problem, they already indirectly kind of do (bigger movie not being available for movie pass or not right away, bigger movie on the bigger special screen that cost more) and it is always a big risk to cheapen your product.

The same goes for shorter movie, there is no theatrical option for a 45minute movie right now, not much double feature, no special rebate either.

But they often do it for re-release (that didn't necessitate a new scan), I saw Dark Knight recently and it was much cheaper than a regular new movie, theater chain already tend to give much less to the distributor on small title, so maybe the reduced ticket price for them model has not much margin.

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

Hide contents

2x:

Deadpool 2: Logan, Logan Round 2

The Florida Project: Brigsby Bear, Good Time

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women: Wonder Woman, The Dark Tower

The Shape of Water: War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, mother!

Molly’s Game: Logan Lucky, mother!

Black Panther: The Hitman’s Bodyguard, mother!

1x:

The Greatest Showman: Despicable Me 3

Marshall: War for the Planet of the Apes 4K

The Star: The Emoji Movie

A Wrinkle in Time: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Darkest Hour: Atomic Blonde

Wonder: The Glass Castle

Only the Brave: Detroit

Call Me by Your Name: Brigsby Bear

Novitiate: Brigsby Bear

Breathe: Logan Lucky

The Killing of a Sacred Deer: Good Time

Same Kind of Different as Me: Megan Leavey

Forever My Girl: Megan Leavey

Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House: Dunkirk Round 2

Alpha: Dunkirk Round 2

Proud Mary: Girls Trip

The Current War: Wind River

Polaroid: Wind River

Ready Player One: It

Boo 2! A Madea Halloween: The Hitman’s Bodyguard

Downsizing: mother!

Paddington 2: The LEGO Ninjago Movie

Isle of Dogs: The LEGO Ninjago Movie

Damn, you got AM a lot of times :jeb!: I only got it five times (saving my update for later after I see it).

BTW, I'm gonna start italicizing movies  that I've gotten in the past week.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

MLP has $2 tickets coming on Tuesday (which will probably get "added" to box office as $8-13 value)...so it could see a few million more just from its coming promotions...

The marketing push for My Little Pony has been really muted (tribefan's been doing a better job of promoting it here than Lionsgate has to the world) and the movie has a very specific audience with it being unlikely anyone's on the fence about seeing it. Don't think it'll make much of a difference.

• Like 2

New BOP predictions and TCs: http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-coco-death-wish-mollys-game/

Coco: 60/270

Death Wish: 8/23

Molly's Game: 6/21

Blade Runner: 48/135 (+9/+17%)

MLP: 7/20 (-7%)

Only the Brave: 15/51.5 (-6%)

Suburbicon: 10/32 (-29%)

Jigsaw: 13.5/29 (+35%)

TCs:

Happy Death Day: 3,000

The Foreigner: 2,700

Marshall: 2,600

Marston: N/A (pretty clear this isn't going that wide)

I think they're underestimating the appeal of Molly's Game, but I'm glad they noticed the lukewarm social media numbers for OTB like I did the other day.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

New BOP predictions and TCs: http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-coco-death-wish-mollys-game/

Coco: 60/270

Death Wish: 8/23

Molly's Game: 6/21

Blade Runner: 48/135 (+9/+17%)

MLP: 7/20 (-7%)

Only the Brave: 15/51.5 (-6%)

Suburbicon: 10/32 (-29%)

Jigsaw: 13.5/29 (+35%)

TCs:

Happy Death Day: 3,000

The Foreigner: 2,700

Marshall: 2,600

Marston: N/A (pretty clear this isn't going that wide)

I think they're underestimating the appeal of Molly's Game, but I'm glad they noticed the lukewarm social media numbers for OTB like I did the other day.

Molly's Game should at least open in the low-teens over the 3-day frame with strong reviews and a lack of adult-friendly wide release titles other than Murder on the Orient Express and A Bad Mom's Christmas over Thanksgiving weekend. It'll all depend on the marketing push STX gives it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Molly's Game should at least open in the low-teens over the 3-day frame with strong reviews and a lack of adult-friendly wide release titles other than Murder on the Orient Express and A Bad Mom's Christmas over Thanksgiving weekend. It'll all depend on the marketing push STX gives it.

Before Jobs all Sorkins movie did 100m WW or more.

6/21 is a bit worst opening but better legs and better total than Jobs, but I think people are downplaying Sorkins appeal a little bit here, we will also see if STX will give it a China release (they bought that market too with the deal)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, this and Orient Express (maybe Bad Moms and Lady Bird depending on their TCs) are the only "adult" options over the holiday. As BOP notes, Death Wish only appeals to the action crowd that already has the funny book movies (nothing screams family gathering like Eli Roth!), and the rest are all basically family films. I'm expecting 50-60M for Molly's Game right now.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

So Box Office pro is predicting that Coco will make more in its OW than The Star will make overall! 

I think anyone expecting Coco to be another The Good Dinosaur is in for quite a surprise. A Disney/Pixar film over Thanksgiving weekend (that'll also be the first animated movie to actually be on family radars since the summer)? Yeah, no way it doesn't clean up.

• Like 5

Just now, filmlover said:

I think anyone expecting Coco to be another The Good Dinosaur is in for quite a surprise. A Disney/Pixar film over Thanksgiving weekend (that'll also be the first animated movie to actually be on family radars since the summer)? Yeah, no way it doesn't clean up.

Coco doesn’t seem to have the issues that surrounded the TGD, the reviews will be out in October so we will get an idea how the film will be received. 

The Star being released a week before Coco and against JL is like Smurfs and The Boss Baby all over again! 

• Like 1

Trailers have been warmly received by fans and families, helping to generate social media activity on par with the likes of Inside Out and Big Hero 6 at comparable points before release

Have they? That's nice...I don't think i've ever seen it play in a crowded theater; Just with Lion King and that was me and two other people.

• Like 1