grim22

MIB International | June 14 2019 | F Gary Gray directing | Hemsworth, Ferguson, Neeson, Thompson and Thompson

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

There's no reason for it to bomb that spectacularly. But at the rate this summer is going I guess who knows. 

Hems bomb factor. $60m dom total wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

I kind of hope Sony is able to learn a lesson from this and their Charlie's Angels film, because I'd to see the company begin relying on brand new live action franchises. They don't even have to be original. I just want something new.

2 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I kind of hope Sony is able to learn a lesson from this and their Charlie's Angels film, because I'd to see the company begin relying on brand new live action franchises. They don't even have to be original. I just want something new.

They're releasing Once Upon a Time in Hollywood from Tarantino, so more of those kinds of films would be great - considering how rare mid-to-big budget adult dramas are now.

• Like 5

I don't think this looks bad. Wouldn't be surprised at a positive response. That said, nobody was asking for this so interest certainly feels muted

I've been following the marketing for this and the strategy here seems to be to put all their press energy into Europe and Asia with maybe a day or two in US. Doesn't seem like they're counting on domestic intake for this much, which makes sense I guess since MIB3 made 70% of its gross OS last time.

That said, I love these two actors, I just... have little desire to see this.  MIB as a concept only made sense to me for the first movie. Never saw 2 or 3. In 2019, where every other sci fi movie has to do with aliens or mutants it just feels unnecessary. Hope it's at least a moderate success just so it'll make Hemsworth do more El Royales and Rushes.  I'll even take straight, original comedies. Step away from the reboots and remakes and sci-fi for a bit. People like him a lot and with the right choices he could do well but he almost never makes good non-MCU choices. I don't know if he's limited by what he's offered or something.

Edited by thedast
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

The marketing has been garbage. I'm actually shocked it's being released next weekend. It'll make closer to RIPD than any of the MIB movies... Hemsworth curse continues.

Hemscurse.

I had no idea it came out so soon. Maybe I'll take my dad for Father's Day, I remember us seeing #3 together. 

24 minutes ago, thedast said:

I've been following the marketing for this and the strategy here seems to be to put all their press energy into Europe and Asia with maybe a day or two in US. Doesn't seem like they're counting on domestic intake for this much, which makes sense I guess since MIB3 made 70% of its gross OS last time.

I think you're right. Chris Hemsworth even came here to Indonesia to promote the movie. That never happened before. And I think it works. People here are excited to see it. Although most of them refer to it as "that movie with Thor and Valkyrie", instead of MIB lol.

Marketing has been crap. If you're going to make a MIB movie without Smith and Jones, don't market it as... MIB without Smith and Jones. We know next to nothing about H or M. Media keep talking about Hems and Thompson's chemistry, but I've no idea how the two play off each other based on the trailer. Seems like M has a cool backstory (the producers mention her arc is the heart of the movie), but they haven't made a point of it in trailers.

I have heard the movie is good, which, if true, would make the marketing look even worse. There's not a single laugh in any of the marketing.

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 1

Aside from a few big misfires (Be Cool, Law Abiding Citizen) Gray is pretty reliable to at least churn out something decent. Combine that with Thompson and Hemsworth's Ragnarok chemistry and I have a hard time seeing this sucking. But yes, marketing has sucked. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Aside from a few big misfires (Be Cool, Law Abiding Citizen) Gray is pretty reliable to at least churn out something decent. Combine that with Thompson and Hemsworth's Ragnarok chemistry and I have a hard time seeing this sucking. But yes, marketing has sucked. 

Gray made Fast/Furious boring, and Hemsworth is bad outside of the MCU. Bombs away!