grim22

MIB International | June 14 2019 | F Gary Gray directing | Hemsworth, Ferguson, Neeson, Thompson and Thompson

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Gray made Fast/Furious boring, and Hemsworth is bad outside of the MCU. Bombs away!

I think he's pretty decent in comedy roles. Men in black seems to suit him.

Just now, TMP said:

Gray made Fast/Furious boring, and Hemsworth is bad outside of the MCU. Bombs away!

Diesel's vision is the main issue with F8, without a competent director things probably would have turned out far worse. Hems has been great in every comedic role. 

I feel MIB will go over KOTM dom. That's just the year this is. It could match it's prod budget dom and OS could be 2-2.5x the prod budget. Will be profitable and gonna have a sequel. It's Sony which is #2 behind Disney this year with WB struggling. SMH2 and Jumanji sequel to come for Sony.

29 minutes ago, TMP said:

He hasn’t been bad in every non-MCU movie. Sure the movies aren’t financial successes, but his performances have been good to great. I’ve only seen the second MIB, think it was actually the first or second movie I saw in theaters. I’ll be seeing this for Chris H. and Tessa. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Deja23 said:

Sure the movies aren’t financial successes, but his performances have been good to great.

Debatable. He's fine in Rush, but I wouldn't call him great.

I think Hemsworth is one of those many, many actors that Hollywood tries to push for the conventional leading man roles that don't fit them. They end up coming across as blandly handsome, generic white guy clones, but then you see them in some different kind of stuff and different roles than they usually do and you're like "wtf he's actually pretty good and charismatic?" I think Hemsworth is lowkey a comedic genius and has dramatic chops as well - as long as you don't put him into those aforementioned "generic leading man" roles. MIB seems at least on page good fit for him and he and Tessa have great chemistry so I'm pretty optimistic about this one.

Never forget

Marvel sues Sony over ‘MIB’

Feuding partners Marvel Enterprises and Sony Pictures are at it again.

This time, Marvel is claiming that Sony employed “Hollywood accounting” to deprive it of merchandising royalties on “Men in Black” to the tune of $6 million.

In a suit filed Thursday in L.A. Superior Court, Marvel claims that although the first “MIB” grossed $493 million in worldwide revenues and “MIB II” grossed $275 million, Sony’s accounting says the films actually lost money. Specifically, Marvel claims accounting irregularities such as unexplained and excessive charges for advertising and overhead.

As explained in the complaint, “The Men in Black” comic was originally published by Malibu Comics, which was acquired by Marvel in 1995. In 1992, Malibu made a film deal with Columbia Pictures under which it would receive 35% of all merchandising income and 50% of income from merchandising of interactive rights, less fees.

https://variety.com/2004/scene/markets-festivals/marvel-sues-sony-over-mib-1117899274/