grim22

MIB International | June 14 2019 | F Gary Gray directing | Hemsworth, Ferguson, Neeson, Thompson and Thompson

It's weird that I want to see Shaft over this, if I had to pick one at that (ie. I could easily pass on both). From the beginning I just did not need this movie, and this is coming from someone who is pretty damn forgiving of and open sequels and movies in general.

My response to this movie from my first knowledge of its existence up until its release is a big fat yawn. Not surprised it's not doing well. Not many people were up for another one of these. Bring in more original movies!

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

It's weird that I want to see Shaft over this, if I had to pick one at that (ie. I could easily pass on both). From the beginning I just did not need this movie, and this is coming from someone who is pretty damn forgiving of and open sequels and movies in general.

My response to this movie from my first knowledge of its existence up until its release is a big fat yawn. Not surprised it's not doing well. Not many people were up for another one of these. Bring in more original movies!

Go see shaft lol

12 hours ago, JB33 said:

"Shaft" was hilarious. The humor in the MiB:I trailers fell flat each time. I don't remember thinking anything in them was funny.

1 hour ago, I Am said:

"Shaft" was hilarious. The humor in the MiB:I trailers fell flat each time. I don't remember thinking anything in them was funny.

Did not see any film this weekend, but the trailer for Shaft made it look like fun, the trialers for MIB:I made me go "I am not spending 12 bucks for this".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, I Am said:

There is no humor in MIB. None at all actually. Zero jokes to be found.

• Haha 2

73 os weekend. 2.4x gives 175 but with 3 markets remaining it needs under 2.4x to get to 175.

dom should make it to 65 (2.3x) if not more and 75 is possible.

So 250 ww is alive while 230-240 is certain imo.

On a 94-110 prod budget 240 ww would have been fine but the dom ratio is not good and that will effect the returns. dom is very disappointing in fact opening to less than 30 with an inflated Sun. Not to mention that the mixed reception kills any goodwill for a sequel even if it somehow breaks even.

14 minutes ago, AccidentalVisitor said:

How about make NEW franchises instead?

With how much Dark Tower / After Earth didn't work for them for franchise launcher and with how well Jumanji did, I imagine they will continu that strategy (with Bad Boys for example).

What was the last successful new franchise, John Wick in 2014, 50 Shades in 2015 (but that you need a book phenomenom) ?

Fact is only the first MIB film was really good.

MIB 3 was mildly entertaining, but 2 was bad and I am not even bothering with this one.

I don't know what SONY is going to with this franchise. Not even sure a Will Smith/Tommy Lee Jones reteaming would help that much unless they really improved the quality. If SONY were not so short of franchises this franchise would probably be dead.

SONY is still sort of reeling from losing the James Bond franchise; they have John Wick and Jumanji but though successful they  are not nearly as big or prestigious as Bond;the only Bond level franchise they have is the Spiderman franchise...and that is sort of shared with Disney. Sony is desperate for franchises,no doubt.

Edited by dudalb