grim22

MIB International | June 14 2019 | F Gary Gray directing | Hemsworth, Ferguson, Neeson, Thompson and Thompson

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

SONY is still sort of reeling from losing the James Bond franchise; they have John Wick and Jumanji but though successful they  are not nearly as big or prestigious as Bond;the only Bond level franchise they have is the Spiderman franchise...and that is sort of shared with Disney. Sony is desperate for franchises,no doubt.

I think Wick is Liongates and Bond was almost irrelevant on their bottom line, loosing Adam Sandler was arguably a bigger deal.

6 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

lol is this the new thing for misguided wannabe blockbusters that flop, a reveal that even the people involved should've realized the whole project was a bad idea from the beginning the Monday following opening weekend?

Also that bit about how they decided not to merge it together with a sequel to 21/22 Jump Street makes me even more happy that the people involved in that franchise walked away completely before it had the chance to implode.

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 1

What Rothman did ensure, however, was that the studio’s exposure was limited. The movie cost in the $110 million range and the executive brought in Chinese conglomerate Tencent and several other co-financiers. The marketing and publicity budget spend was said to be on the lower side due to various tie-ins.

Our boy saved the day, @That One Guy:sparta:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

lol is this the new thing for misguided wannabe blockbusters that flop, a reveal that even the people involved should've realized the whole project was a bad idea from the beginning the Monday following opening weekend?

Also that bit about how they decided not to merge it together with a sequel to 21/22 Jump Street makes me even more happy that the people involved in that franchise walked away completely before it had the chance to implode.

Lord and Miller knew when to call it quits on a franchise...unlike their employer Sony.

• Community Manager
2 hours ago, TMP said:

Remember when movies were just bad? And it wasn't that every bad movie had a myriad of behind the scene trouble

Every movie has behind the scenes trouble. That's a huge part of filmmaking: overcoming problems that come up lol.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TMP said:

Remember when movies were just bad? And it wasn't that every bad movie had a myriad of behind the scene trouble

Back in the days the behind the scene trouble of even the good movies were more obvious (the director were more often officially replaced than in a behind the scene / guild protected ways, multiple time was not that uncommon).

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

Every movie has behind the scenes trouble. That's a huge part of filmmaking: overcoming problems that come up lol.

I think this sound much true, I imagine some exception of Spielberg/Eastwood type on some projects, but in general it is quite tented by the results, the story about all those trouble on Fury Road/last minute embargo/open feud between actors and team having to shoot around Hardy, etc.... would sound really different if the movie would have failed. Same for the Titanic shoot going so intensely bad that someone trying to poison the crew with PCP story.

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

that's the good thing about flops you get the backstage drama real fast. on the hits you barely get to hear about it these days. and if you do it takes a while.

• Like 2

Those articles are

so astonishingly stupid and basic.

You could write 10 of those on any movie.

The narrative "movie with bad reviews and bad Box office had a trouble production" is

so astonishingly stupid and basic.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Those articles are

so astonishingly stupid and basic.

You could write 10 of those on any movie.

The narrative "movie with bad reviews and bad Box office had a trouble production" is

so astonishingly stupid and basic.

Exactly.

This is because many basic people read, quote and eat up such garbage - including and mostly here on these forums. 😕

Huh this wasn't as bad as I thought.

The movie kinda gives up halfway through it but it had a nice concept, just not well executed. It's kinda a shame because it seems like a common theme this year, really cool ideas half-assed so badly that the movie ends up being a big disappointment. 

It doesn't deserve a 24% on RT, I would've guessed 45% or something. Not that it is much different.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, expensiveho said:

Huh this wasn't as bad as I thought.

The movie kinda gives up halfway through it but it had a nice concept, just not well executed. It's kinda a shame because it seems like a common theme this year, really cool ideas half-assed so badly that the movie ends up being a big disappointment. 

It doesn't deserve a 24% on RT, I would've guessed 45% or something. Not that it is much different.

And that's the issue with RT - and the way people interpret it.

As has been pointed out numerous times, that doesn't mean it's a 2.5/10 movie. It just means 75% of critics would not give it a passing grade (which in some cases would be 5 or 6/10). So, yes, its average could very well be around 4.5, but it still means only 25% of critics recommend it. I really do wish that one of the changes made on RT recently would emphasize the average rating, but they're as conscious as anyone that we live in a world of extremes, and 95% or 25% is what gets people talking, as opposed to 7.2 or 4.9 averages...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

And that's the issue with RT - and the way people interpret it.

As has been pointed out numerous times, that doesn't mean it's a 2.5/10 movie. It just means 75% of critics would not give it a passing grade (which in some cases would be 5 or 6/10). So, yes, its average could very well be around 4.5, but it still means only 25% of critics recommend it. I really do wish that one of the changes made on RT recently would emphasize the average rating, but they're as conscious as anyone that we live in a world of extremes, and 95% or 25% is what gets people talking, as opposed to 7.2 or 4.9 averages...

This is correct. I admit for a while I would only look at the percentages, until I realized that the average rating is the real way to gauge the critical reception of a movie. Imdb is better in that regard in that it's primarily an average rating system instead of a percentage one.