Walt Disney

Battle of the Studios: The Best of the Most Successful

The top 200 domestic grossing films adjusted for inflation are all the greatest box office successes in the history of film. But, some studios' most successful films are better movies than other studios. So which studios number 1 film is the best of all? Which studio's 2nd most successful film is the best of all. Lets vote on it and see what Box Office Theory thinks.

Here's how it will work. I will only be using the top 200 domestic adjusted grossing films list (including the 15 films that Box Office Mojo hasn't added but should have). Any movie not on the list will not be eligible. Therefore, if a studio runs out of films on the list, there will be no movie for that studio listed in later rounds. There will be 31 rounds because Warner Bros. has 31 movies on the list. Disney has 45, so we'll only be using Disney's top 31. That means rounds 27-31 will only be Disney vs. Warner Bros (Paramount has 26 movies on the list). Any movie that was independently financed by a smaller studio, but distributed by a large studio, will be listed under the smaller studio. So the first round will feature Star Wars (financed by Fox) vs. The Empire Strikes Back (financed by Lucasfilm). That also means that the first 2 rounds will have a lot of movies to choose from.

I will list a new round each day, but the voting will stay open for each round for 3 weeks. Each round will list the movie and the studio that was the dominant financial partner. I may combine a few rounds together as the number of studios with films on the list gets smaller. I will only vote in the case of a tie and I can only vote for one of the movies involved in the tie. Once we have a winner for all 31 positions, I will list the winner. We'll be starting with each studio's number 1 domestic adjusted film on the list. The matchups will be interesting because a studio's best film isn't necessarily its biggest domestic box office success.

Edited by Walt Disney