AndyK

Academy moves to lock out Netflix eligibility

As preparations get underway for the 90th Oscar show, the mood of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences as a whole seems feisty in response to sweeping industry changes from the rise of streaming services to the boundaries of Oscar campaigns. These concerns were apparent as roughly 300 members gathered last week for what was only the second members-only meeting in the Academy’s long history.

The notion that Netflix can put movies in cinemas for only one week to gain elegibilty is a loophole they are looking to close.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/oscars-academy-netflix-eligibility-in-question-membership-meeting-1202180576/

"Get with the times? Fuck outta here!" 

Conversations with members reveal a growing urgency about core issues. “We’ve got to define what is a movie,” said one governor, reflecting a prevalent member concern about streaming services in general, especially Netflix’s incursions.

Just because it doesn't play for three months in theaters doesn't mean it's not a movie? I want to hear what's considered a movie when you have short films and some films that clock in over slightly over an hour nominated for oscars.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 2

Frankly, now that I'm living in an area that is spotty with getting smaller films and never plays anything distributed by A24, I'm all for more contenders going straight to streaming.

I also think we're at the height of irony and hypocrisy where many awards voters catch films at home on screener copies, but allowing normies to watch these same films at home would be a bridge too far.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2017 at 11:46 AM, slambros said:

Here's an idea:

An entirely separate category for films from streaming services.

That way, everyone is happy.

Is that a good idea?

Why not put them in the the Emmy tv movie category ? Not sure how much different an HBO movie is versus a Netflix movie, we had those for ever and them not winning Oscar was never an issue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primetime_Emmy_Award_for_Outstanding_Television_Movie

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Frankly, now that I'm living in an area that is spotty with getting smaller films and never plays anything distributed by A24, I'm all for more contenders going straight to streaming.

I also think we're at the height of irony and hypocrisy where many awards voters catch films at home on screener copies, but allowing normies to watch these same films at home would be a bridge too far.

There is already a bit of an issue with the Oscar that voters vote without seeing a large percentage of the movie, and they are dealing with only 300-330 movie now, remove the theaterical release rules to make every movie released on earth eligible, it it would become a strange mess (maybe not a big issue too), but we would go from 300-330 movie to over 10/15k. A voter wanting to watch most of them for is opinion to have any weight could not even get close to watch just 10% of them

10 hours ago, Morieris said:

"Get with the times? Fuck outta here!" 

Just because it doesn't play for three months in theaters doesn't mean it's not a movie? I want to hear what's considered a movie when you have short films and some films that clock in over slightly over an hour nominated for oscars.

Feature film eligible for best picture right now (they do not accept short films, you need to be 40 minute or more):

a. feature length (defined as over 40 minutes)

b. publicly exhibited by means (list the projection requirement)

c. for paid admission in a commercial motion picture theater in Los Angeles County

d. for a qualifying run of at least seven consecutive days, during which period screenings must occur at least three times daily, with at least one screening beginning between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. daily,

e. advertised and exploited during their Los Angeles County qualifying run in a manner normal and customary to theatrical feature distribution practices, and

f. released within the Awards year deadlines specified in Rule Three (mostly playing in theater the first day of release).

• Like 4

On 10/7/2017 at 8:48 PM, Barnack said:

Why not but them in the the Emmy tv movie category ? Not sure how much different an HBO movie is versus a Netflix movie, we had those for ever and them not winning Oscar was never an issue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primetime_Emmy_Award_for_Outstanding_Television_Movie

That's really the issue here IMO. There has to be a hard definition of what a theatrical film is versus a TV movie. Other Netflix originals are Emmy eligible, why should their films be different unless they receive some genuine theatrical release? I think a week in LA is a little paltry, especially if it's already available for streaming.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EmmaPeel said:

That's really the issue here IMO. There has to be a hard definition of what a theatrical film is versus a TV movie. Other Netflix originals are Emmy eligible, why should their films be different unless they receive some genuine theatrical release? I think a week in LA is a little paltry, especially if it's already available for streaming.

I like this idea: Netflix movies should be treated as TV movies rather than theatrical movies. I bet Mudbound would do great at the TV movie category of the Golden Globes, for instance.

On 11/5/2017 at 11:11 AM, EmmaPeel said:

Just make Netflix wait two or three weeks before putting on its streaming service.