grim22

Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw | August 2 2019 | 17th most profitable movie of 2019

31 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Not even the first time it's happened with him, he had a movie every month for 4 months in 2013

His output this whole decade has been ludacris

His brand has definitely become much bigger since then. Don't think we will ever see him do a Snitch or even Pain and Gain anymore.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

The Rock has 3 big releases in 4 months. There's a very real chance all 3 movies can be playing in theaters at the same time with this one in dollar theaters, Jungle Cruise on it's long trek being dragged to the 100M line and Jumanji 2 just releasing. 

Jungle Cruise can't do better than that?

Anyway, at least two will be huge hits. That is why it was ridiculous to see some people declare him overrated or "exposed" after Skyscraper flopped (domestically).

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

Anyway, at least two will be huge hits. That is why it was ridiculous to see some people declare him overrated or "exposed" after Skyscraper flopped (domestically).

I think Jungle Cruise is the weakest link in the movies. Hobbs and Shaw and Jumanji have a proven franchise behind them and good release dates, Jungle Cruise has neither. The October date means low opening and by the time the holidays come around it won't be in enough theaters to take advantage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I think Jungle Cruise is the weakest link in the movies. Hobbs and Shaw and Jumanji have a proven franchise behind them and good release dates, Jungle Cruise has neither. The October date means low opening and by the time the holidays come around it won't be in enough theaters to take advantage.

Not to mention he’s done the jungle adventure angle before in Jumanji.

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

The Rock has 3 big releases in 4 months. There's a very real chance all 3 movies can be playing in theaters at the same time with this one in dollar theaters, Jungle Cruise on it's long trek being dragged to the 100M line and Jumanji 2 just releasing. 

Hobbs and Shaw (2019)

26 July 2019 (USA)

Jungle Cruise (2019)

11 October 2019 (USA)

Jumanji 2 (2019)

13 December 2019 (USA)

And they will all be 3 worldwide juggernaut saturated release, 77 days and 63 days between them. Would imagine that mean no Ballers season 5 in 2019.

4 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

I agree with this. I find the idea of "saturation" to be dumb in general. You just have to convince people to buy/see your creation.

I think the Call Of Duty franchise is a great example of this. People still keep buying it despite coming out every year because Activision's marketing is good enough to convince people to buy it, and some games will be more interesting to customers than others. People were more interested in COD going back to World War 2 than COD going to space, thus WWII was more successful than Infinite Warfare.

It's the same thing with other media. Jumanji worked because the marketing told people that it was taking Jumanji in a different direction, and it looked funny and exiting to general audiences. Skyscraper isn't doing good because the marketing didn't say much about it other than "It's Die Hard meets The Towering Inferno with The Rock." And I don't think it's controversial to say that the trailers for it suuuuuccked.

Star Wars is another great example. The Force Awakens was the return of SW and old characters with the introduction of new ones. Rogue One was how the Death Star plans were stolen and to see the POV for regular Rebel soldiers. The Last Jedi was the middle chapter of the trilogy and people wanted to see what the new characters were up to and how Luke's been doing, along with the promise of a story that will not go how people expected it to go. Meanwhile Solo, the one bomb, had nothing to show in its marketing other than "It's a Han Solo film", and I'm pretty sure, judging by the box office, that the general audience didn't want a Solo film (it's also why I believe Obi-Wan and Boba Fett films would do barely better or even worse than what Solo is doing, general audiences aren't as interested).  Episode IX meanwhile is both the ending of the Skywalker saga and the ending (for now) of the stories for the new characters, and people DO LIKE the new characters and want to see what happens to them. 

Even Marvel has experienced this. Ant-Man and The Wasp's current performance is definitely not from superhero fatigue, Avengers, Black Panther and Deadpool are proof of that. I'm am sure though that it's because people weren't as interested in an Ant-Man followup (remember, the first film barely passed $500 Million worldwide), and the marketing said basically nothing other than "The Wasp is in it now!".

So yeah, apologies for the long response, but my point is you just have to convince people to buy your product, and saturation isn't a major factor. All of Dwayne's films next year could be hits or bombs. Jumanji 3 could make half of what the previous film did, Hobbs & Shaw could be the Fast & Furious' Solo, and Jungle Cruise could be his only hit. The marketing will just have to convince people to see it.

Edited by TheManFromBeyond
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I must say that Statham and Johnson longevity in this business is the most impressive. There's a huge line-up of actors that fell by the wayside despite being touted better or appearing in prestige/relevant movies (what ever happened to most of the LOTR cast, for example?) but these 2 are still standing. :bravo:

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

So this movie is both Hobbs & Shaw fighting bad guys alongside eachother? Not a Versus-film like BvS?

What's crazy is that Shaw killed Han but it was all forgotten. Also what are the chances of a Luke Evans cameo?

Edited by Heat Vision

I watched F&F marathon on weekend and must say this is such a smart business. The saga already has "next generation" set up to be included 15-20 years from now should they decide to go with Samantha Hobbs, Jack O'Connor&his sister, Brian Toretto and Nico. So spin-offs like Hobbs&Shaw, new generation waiting in the wings, smart business.

I like Shaw family too and support Liam's nomination to play dad.

Edited by Valonqar