grim22

Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw | August 2 2019 | 17th most profitable movie of 2019

I have to say the green screen in this film is awful. Characters are talking to each other and the screen clearly behind their heads looks so fake.

All of the car action, people driving, looks like those parodies you see on youtube. It's really that bad. I don't know how this happens in a $200M film in 2019.

worst driving-in-a-car-on-greenscreen I've seen in a new film in many years. You'd think this is a basic thing to get right in a Fast and Furious film. I don't recall noticing it in previous films but it is so jarring and awkward any time anything happens in the film. This is the case in majority of shots/scenes.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

John Cena is in Fast 9, and it's gonna be glorious. Guy is made for this franchise. As much as I love Charlize though not too hyped about her remaining the big bad - she was a wet noodle in the last one. The Statham tease was so amazing, and I don't even love Jason Statham. Imagine if they did that with like Keanu. Crowd would go nuts.

Good to see someone else shares my optimism about Cena in Fast 9.

Just got back home from clinic and seeing all your positive reviews has me buying a ticket for the 8PM showtime tonight. I’m exhausted but hoping this movie is a solid end to the work day. See ya guys on the other side :) 

• Like 7
  • Knock It Off 1

11 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I have to say the green screen in this film is awful. Characters are talking to each other and the screen clearly behind their heads looks so fake.

All of the car action, people driving, looks like those parodies you see on youtube. It's really that bad. I don't know how this happens in a $200M film in 2019.

worst driving-in-a-car-on-greenscreen I've seen in a new film in many years. You'd think this is a basic thing to get right in a Fast and Furious film. I don't recall noticing it in previous films but it is so jarring and awkward any time anything happens in the film. This is the case in majority of shots/scenes.

That sucks, especially because I myself am a stickler about that kind of thing. I loathe green screen even though I know it's necessary for these kind of movies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

That sucks, especially because I myself am a stickler about that kind of thing. I loathe green screen even though I know it's necessary for these kind of movies.

there's a shot where Dwayne is looking out over beautiful scenery and he is so clearly staring into a wall 2 feet in front of him.

I don't quite know why this happens, its like the background is different colour palette, more faded. But it really sticks out and it's an issue throughout the whole film. 

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

there's a shot where Dwayne is looking out over beautiful scenery and he is so clearly staring into a wall 2 feet in front of him.

I don't quite know why this happens, its like the background is different colour palette, more faded. But it really sticks out and it's an issue throughout the whole film. 

One reason is simple: these franchise films are cranked out at such a high rate now that the visuals are usually pretty sub-par. Even the almighty MCU is sub-standard in this regard.

Star Wars at least does much better with this. They use as many practical effects and sets as possible.

oh, top tip, if you haven't watched the last episode of Game of Thrones, LEAVE AS SOON AS CREDITS START. the first credits scene has a character telling another character the ending of GOT. 

as someone who doesn't watch it I didnt find it funny but I imagine you'll find it even less funny if you havent finished the show yet...

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

This is a fun interview. Margot Robbie admits to never having seen Star Wars and some other classic movies, and Leo is almost offended Pitt and Robbie haven't seen Gone With The Wind

Forgot the S word I am not alowed to say.

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

John Cena is in Fast 9, and it's gonna be glorious. Guy is made for this franchise. As much as I love Charlize though not too hyped about her remaining the big bad - she was a wet noodle in the last one. The Statham tease was so amazing, and I don't even love Jason Statham. Imagine if they did that with like Keanu. Crowd would go nuts.

Ugh! Fast 8 is on FX now, and every time there's a Charlize scene...I cringe hard! A great actor, but she is awful in this movie!

I plan on watching this movie more for Statham than The Rock, even though Fast 5 (with the Rock introduction) is my 2nd favorite in the franchise after the 1st F&F movie.

3 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Ugh! Fast 8 is on FX now, and every time there's a Charlize scene...I cringe hard! A great actor, but she is awful in this movie!

I plan on watching this movie more for Statham than The Rock, even though Fast 5 (with the Rock introduction) is my 2nd favorite in the franchise after the 1st F&F movie.

Vin Diesel trying to channel his acting by acting angry and yelling all the time is my shit though. I can't stop laughing every time

Edited by MrPink
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

Vin Diesel trying to channel his acting by acting angry and yelling all the time is my shit though. I can't stop laughing every time

Dom is my favourite character. The character was written very well and probably one of my favourite character

Edited by Geo1500

2 hours ago, MrPink said:

Yeah, I mean he's not a great actor. However I'm glad he at least tried to mix it up rather than always being cool as a cucumber about everything. Even if the acting was bad, it was refreshing to have the plot point with his son that actually drew that desperation and emotion out of the character.

I guess you could say I don't have the highest expectation for the acting quality in these movies so that's why I can be so "glass half full" and positive about it, rather than critical.

This was fine I guess. I was honestly expecting more in the humor department though. I think Spy ruined comedic Jason Statham forever for me, since that performance was comedic gold and now I hold him to that standard anytime he's doing something comedic. And the marketing definitely showed the entire movie, to the point I felt like I was seeing the movie for a second time. Won't be surprised if this has the typical Fast 2.2-2.4x multi. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

This was fine I guess. I was honestly expecting more in the humor department though. I think Spy ruined comedic Jason Statham forever for me, since that performance was comedic gold and now I hold him to that standard anytime he's doing something comedic. And the marketing definitely showed the entire movie, to the point I felt like I was seeing the movie for a second time. Won't be surprised if this has the typical Fast 2.2-2.4x multi. 

We'll have to see how badly August's other offerings are rejected. H&S may just be the go-to option for the entire month until It: Chapter Two (if it wasn't already).

So this might be the most disappointing film of the year for me.

The humour fell flat a lot of the time. The action is choppy and hard to see. The cameos are ham fisted and way too long.  No sequence reaches the highs of the prison breakout scene in F8.

The dialogue in this thing can often make it feel as if it were written by 5 year old ("nobody tells me what to do". Or "I'm a chamPAIN problem"). 

There's some choices made here which are just baffling. The music is horrendous, not just Tyler Bates godawful rock soundtrack, but the pop songs they interject throughout the movie seem nonsensical (the film starts with 'Time in A Bottle'. I couldn't tell you why).

The final scenes (and the credits) were presented like a side by side PowerPoint presentation for absolutely no reason. These scenes weren't throwaway credit gags. The literal ending of the movie is presented like this.

It's fine, I guess. Its light and the pacing of the film keeps it alive. Shaw and his sister was very sweet.  The film doesn't strive to be serious at all, it's silly (and maybe too selfaware). I just wish there was something more.

High Rental.

• Like 4

Despite the fact David Leitch is the guy who got the big-budget jobs coming out of John Wick.... Deadpool 2, Atomic Blonde, Hobbs & Shaw.... it seems pretty obvious looking at his output vs. the Wick sequels... that Chad Stahelski had the lion's share of the talent as a director. I've never seen a single action sequence in any of the Wick sequels as sloppy as a couple of the set-pieces in this movie.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Despite the fact David Leitch is the guy who got the big-budget jobs coming out of John Wick.... Deadpool 2, Atomic Blonde, Hobbs & Shaw.... it seems pretty obvious looking at his output vs. the Wick sequels... that Chad Stahelski had the lion's share of the talent as a director. I've never seen a single action sequence in any of the Wick sequels as sloppy as a couple of the set-pieces in this movie.

Chad Stahelski for F10!

On 8/1/2019 at 11:26 PM, JB33 said:

Yeah, I mean he's not a great actor. However I'm glad he at least tried to mix it up rather than always being cool as a cucumber about everything. Even if the acting was bad, it was refreshing to have the plot point with his son that actually drew that desperation and emotion out of the character.

I guess you could say I don't have the highest expectation for the acting quality in these movies so that's why I can be so "glass half full" and positive about it, rather than critical.

The funny thing is that he used to be a lot better at the serious stuff. Plain as day if you watch the first film. It's just funny because the Fast movies have gotten crazier so the tonal whiplash between very serious acting and ultra goofy becomes more stark. It's not really being critical, since I still find it amusing in its own way.

It's a bit more entertaining than Fate of the Furious but still feels like sometimes the film is stuck between trying to go all out crazy but also keep an element of the film grounded and on the dramatic side. Definitely preferred the Shaws over Hobbs' storyline and Idris kinda feels wasted here again unfortunately.