grim22

Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw | August 2 2019 | 17th most profitable movie of 2019

Wasn't expecting this to open that low...

2019 is without a doubt one of the most boring year ever in terms of boxoffice

Only the usual generic movies from Disney to truly succeeds.

Spiderman, being produced by Marvel, is basically a Disney movie

Us... spectacular OW, but not even reaching Get Out total after a 71 M$ OW is a disappointment

The Upside, John Wick 3 were the only surprises

Boring, boring, boring

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I want to commend Vanessa Kirby for committed acting despite her co stars and those 2 big secret more than cameos cameos basically playing themselves or their most famous roles. She's the MVP and I hope she gets on better things. very beautiful and clearly more talented than action roles allow her to show.

This was worse than F&F movies because it felt forced whereas F&F cast has lived-in relaxed chemsitry and easily slip into their roles. This is 100% self-aware and the worst thing are self-aware monologues. Also, spoiling GOT finale is a douchy move cause there are plenty of people who might binge on that show that don't know what happened. There should be some line drawn when it comes to pop culture references. too soon losers. Like, I don't care cause I'm not a spoiler-phobe and I watched the show already, but it isn't fair for people who aren't like that.

If you are looking for most ridiculous stunts a dn survival rate, zero stakes, star egos at work (the report about counting how many punches and kicks each receives is true, watch the movie and you;ll see that they evened this shit out), forced humor, repeat of F&F formula (it's all about family), some character retconning and hysterical reveal that Statham and Kirby play sibling who are maximum 4 years apart :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:you should love this. I wasn't bored or anything but it really isn't must-see-on-the-big-screen. I was doing friend  favor so we went to see it. IMO, it's torrent material or wait for Netflix.

trailers: 1917 look surprisingly gripping on the big screen, left me cold when they released it online. Gerard Buttler looks so old and fat in Angel Has Fallen trailer, please tell me that the young woman and the baby are his daughter and grandson, not his wife and son. Right? Right? Gemini Man looks better on the big screen and slightly younger Will Smith looks flawless. Why the fuck did they play TROS teaser with this, lol? It really didn't fit with the type of movie and surrounding trailers. No Tenet. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why of all entries this is such a mediocre BO success.

With the exception of "Tokyo Drift" and "Fast Five" I've seen all of them in a cinema (only there, I haven't rewatched them since). The only one I've watched twice is "Furious 7".

So I wouldn't call me a "fan" of the franchise...but I like the movies for what they are. Mindless action entertainment that returns every two or three years with a new entry. Apart from that I want to have seats in the first row when they are going to space. :sparta:

I will see "Hobbs & Shaw" tomorrow and personally I feel the same "excitement" like I did with F8 (and F7 and F6...). There's a new F&F movie and I want to see it. I don't understand why (obviously) people are refusing this to a certain degree. I mean, that's a OW drop of 40% over F8's OW. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I want to commend Vanessa Kirby for committed acting despite her co stars and those 2 big secret more than cameos cameos basically playing themselves or their most famous roles. She's the MVP and I hope she gets on better things. very beautiful and clearly more talented than action roles allow her to show.

This was worse than F&F movies because it felt forced whereas F&F cast has lived-in relaxed chemsitry and easily slip into their roles. This is 100% self-aware and the worst thing are self-aware monologues. Also, spoiling GOT finale is a douchy move cause there are plenty of people who might binge on that show that don't know what happened. There should be some line drawn when it comes to pop culture references. too soon losers. Like, I don't care cause I'm not a spoiler-phobe and I watched the show already, but it isn't fair for people who aren't like that.

If you are looking for most ridiculous stunts a dn survival rate, zero stakes, star egos at work (the report about counting how many punches and kicks each receives is true, watch the movie and you;ll see that they evened this shit out), forced humor, repeat of F&F formula (it's all about family), some character retconning and hysterical reveal that Statham and Kirby play sibling who are maximum 4 years apart :hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:you should love this. I wasn't bored or anything but it really isn't must-see-on-the-big-screen. I was doing friend  favor so we went to see it. IMO, it's torrent material or wait for Netflix.

trailers: 1917 look surprisingly gripping on the big screen, left me cold when they released it online. Gerard Buttler looks so old and fat in Angel Has Fallen trailer, please tell me that the young woman and the baby are his daughter and grandson, not his wife and son. Right? Right? Gemini Man looks better on the big screen and slightly younger Will Smith looks flawless. Why the fuck did they play TROS teaser with this, lol? It really didn't fit with the type of movie and surrounding trailers. No Tenet. 

Any GoT fan who hasn't seen the finale is not a GoT fan.

13 hours ago, sgrave said:

Wasn't expecting this to open that low...

2019 is without a doubt one of the most boring year ever in terms of boxoffice

Only the usual generic movies from Disney to truly succeeds.

LOL. fast and furious flopping is boring? boring would be this crap making q 1 billion

at least disney = quality

Edited by aladdino
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I think self-indulgent is a better descriptor than self-aware. 100% self-aware is something like Jump Street or Deadpool and this ain't either.

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

You don't have to be a fan in order to not want the ending spoiled in a completely unrelated movie.

Well I think the point is anyone who hasn't seen it yet likely doesn't care about it being spoiled. You can't expect the world to stay hush forever. Just watch it.

I feel the same about Endgame.

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Well I think the point is anyone who hasn't seen it yet likely doesn't care about it being spoiled. You can't expect the world to stay hush forever. Just watch it.

I feel the same about Endgame.

No but the point is, why is it appropriate / needed for a film like Fast & Furious to explicitly spoil the ending to people who are not expecting it? The film can reference Game of Thrones ending without telling the audience what the ending is.

Just now, Avatree said:

No but the point is, why is it appropriate / needed for a film like Fast & Furious to explicitly spoil the ending to people who are not expecting it? The film can reference Game of Thrones ending without telling the audience what the ending is.

Can't answer that. Going to see H&S tomorrow so I'll see what the context is.

1 hour ago, aladdino said:

LOL. fast and furious flopping is boring? boring would be this crap making q 1 billion

at least disney = quality

You absolutely did not understand my point

You hate F&F, you're fan of the Disney releases, this is not the point. 

It's easy to call movie crap when you don't like them. I could say the same from Disney, they're lazy and they

lack originality with their sequels/reboot/re-imagining/re-telling...

My point was, when on January 1st, you already know what movies

are going to fill the Top 5. it's quite boring

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, shayhiri said:

Yeah, fans of this apparently didn't expect it to bomb that hard! :) Well - the Shay called it. It was expected. Even more dumb movies will face the same soon.

In what world is a global opening weekend of $180M a bomb?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

40 minutes ago, Avatree said:

In what world is a global opening weekend of $180M a bomb?

Really? I thought Domestic was ALWAYS OH SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT.

Moreover, this brain-killer wasted 200+ million fucking bucks on budget alone - while still managing to look like shit, even fans said its green screen was the worst they've ever seen, etc. I'm betting they invested MUCH more in adds - which is wise, because otherwise NO ONE would have seen their turd to begin with. :)

Third - it needs at least 750m to just break even - because much of its take comes from distant countries that don't provide much BO%, like Latin America and China for example.

Fourth: these movies have the WORST OW to final gross ratio. Which is completely logical, because the worse a movie - the harder it falls after OW. And these are just the dumbest.

With such OW, this is hardly grossing 750m. Which means a great step back - a terrible disappointment, and probably - yes, a mild flop.

Any more questions?

PS: All Dumb Franchises Go to Die Eventually - even F&F, even Transformers. Losers mourn them - smart guys cheer.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Really? I thought Domestic was ALWAYS OH SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT.

Moreover, this brain-killer wasted 200+ million fucking bucks on budget alone - while still managing to look like shit, even fans said its green screen was the worst they've ever seen, etc. I'm betting they invested MUCH more in adds - which is wise, because otherwise NO ONE would have seen their turd to begin with. :)

Third - it needs at least 750m to just break even - because much of its take comes from distant countries that don't provide much BO%, like Latin America and China for example.

Fourth: these movies have the WORST OW to final gross ratio. Which is completely logical, because the worse a movie - the harder it falls after OW. And these are just the dumbest.

With such OW, this is hardly grossing 750m. Which means a great step back - a terrible disappointment, and probably - yes, a mild flop.

Any more questions?

PS: All Dumb Franchises Go to Die Eventually - even F&F, even Transformers. Losers mourn them - smart guys cheer.

I'm not sure which orifice you're pulling your figures from, but the average legs domestic is 2.3-2.4x for a F&F movie. That would put it at 141M. I can't be arsed to look up what it does legs-wise OS so lets just use that 2.3 as a base line, which puts OS at 282M, combined together for 423M.

Remaining markets with figures dropped equally from F8 to Hobbs as in America (-35%):

China - $255M

France - $20M

Belgium - $4M

Italy - $11M

Korea - $18M

So altogether this pessimistic prediction, ignoring the fact the movie has 0 competition for an entire month, would put Hobbs & Shaw at $731M. So how is $750M unlikely?

And since when did anything under $750M mean a bomb?

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 7