aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals ~ BR2049 32.753M :((, TMBU 10.551M, It 9.972M, MLP:TM 8.885M, K:TGC 8.675M, AM 8.446M, TLNM 7.002 M, V&A 4.171M | All those posts will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

I doubt BR underperforming will hurt Villeneuve as he delievered with fantastic reviews hence why Sony want him for Cleopatra. This will be one of the few times where I think the creatives will go unscathed, it’ll be Alcon and Sony that be hurt the most, Alcon more than Sony

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Pretty surprising results on 2049. I get the arguments about the film being too insular for casual moviegoers (I've made those same arguments), but there's got to be something bigger at play here. Pre-sales and other signs were way too strong, and the BR die-hard fan base isn't so huge as to inflate sales by that large a margin. I just hope this doesn't hurt Villeneuve's shot at getting more big-budget ambitious projects.

Wait a minute, since when are you back on BOT? :o

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I doubt BR underperforming will hurt Villeneuve as he delievered with fantastic reviews hence why Sony want him for Cleopatra. This will be one of the few times where I think the creatives will go unscathed, it’ll be Alcon and Sony that be hurt the most, Alcon more than Sony

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Pretty surprising results on 2049. I get the arguments about the film being too insular for casual moviegoers (I've made those same arguments), but there's got to be something bigger at play here. Pre-sales and other signs were way too strong, and the BR die-hard fan base isn't so huge as to inflate sales by that large a margin. I just hope this doesn't hurt Villeneuve's shot at getting more big-budget ambitious projects.

guessing the presales were primarily for previews

• Founder / Operator

The postmortems on this are going to be fascinating, and depressing, to read. Hopefully the bloggers of the world don't marginalize it down to just being a matter of a movie bombing. My own personal take is that -- on top of being inflated by fans to some degree, which remains a valid point -- this was not the kind of movie casual moviegoers were feeling at this particular point in time in America. I know I personally didn't take that into account this week.

18 minutes ago, Shawn said:

This is the biggest WTF-factor of the weekend. Sales at a specific US chain were ahead of Apes and on par with Dunkirk. Maybe we all underestimated how presale heavy it would be?

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This is the biggest WTF-factor of the weekend. Sales at a specific US chain were ahead of Apes and on par with Dunkirk. Maybe we all underestimated how presale heavy it would be?

I think we did as well.

Without naming anyone, there were definitely projections of $55-60m floating around from some reliable sources. Even WB expected $45-50m, and they're usually careful to be at least a little conservative.

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

guessing the presales were primarily for previews

Definitely seems that way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:
should have put a cape on Ryan Gosling on the poster. Since funny book movies have the advantage over everything else

Well the top 3 films of the year worldwide aren’t superhero films but yeh...