aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals ~ BR2049 32.753M :((, TMBU 10.551M, It 9.972M, MLP:TM 8.885M, K:TGC 8.675M, AM 8.446M, TLNM 7.002 M, V&A 4.171M | All those posts will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

Is this even going to make 200M WW? OS is only looking to make around 50M this weekend, and the only countries left are SK, Japan, and China (where audiences are going to reject it hard) according to IMDb.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator
8 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I predicted it would get raves back in may in the Blade Runner 2049 thread but also said it wouldn't be a big hit with around 100m(its gonna fall short of even that now probably).  

I think the reasons for the box-office are:

1.) Blade Runner is still largely a cult film.  Even though its considered one of the greatest movies ever made in the industry(with some even calling it the best scifi film), I guarantee if you showed it to a bunch of people 30 or under today for the first time half of them wouldn't be enthusiastic about it.  They'd call it a "beautiful slow boring movie".

2.) Blade Runner 2049 wasn't an action movie and it was never really marketed as one.  Modern audiences today are conditioned to expect action in big budget movies when they go to the theater.  Its a long, slow paced, moody, dark, heady, and contemplative science fiction movie.  That is antithesis of a modern blockbuster.

Fair points. I think there are still some X factors, but your reasons plus the general desire for escapism after such a tough week in this country do at least add up to some sort of reasonable answer as to why a movie about a relatively pessimistic vision of the future bucked every verifiable trend leading up to Friday. Yet another example of why sometimes data just isn't enough, even with overwhelming amounts of it.

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

If it's that bad this weekend, just wait until October 27. 

That weekend is gonna be deadly. Suburbicon is likely gonna post soft numbers due to its lousy reviews, Thank You for Your Service feels destined to tank, and who the hell asked for a Saw revival (when it's not even been a decade since the franchise bowed out in uneventful fashion)?

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
36 minutes ago, Shawn said:

The postmortems on this are going to be fascinating, and depressing, to read. Hopefully the bloggers of the world don't marginalize it down to just being a matter of a movie bombing. My own personal take is that -- on top of being inflated by fans to some degree, which remains a valid point -- this was not the kind of movie casual moviegoers were feeling at this particular point in time in America. I know I personally didn't take that into account this week.

War of the Planet of the Apes was probably a sign this movie wasn't going to do that well. Both movies are very similar in many ways.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

If it's that bad this weekend, just wait until October 27. 

FUCK THESE MOVIES!!!!

Thank You for Your Service Universal Pictures / DreamWorks Jason Hall (director/screenplay); Miles Teller, Haley Bennett, Beulah Koale, Amy Schumer, Scott Haze War, Drama
USA
[304]
Suburbicon Paramount Pictures George Clooney (director/screenplay); Joel Coen, Ethan Coen, Grant Heslov (screenplay); Matt Damon, Julianne Moore, Oscar Isaac Crime, Comedy, Drama, Mystery, Thriller
USA
[305]
Jigsaw Lionsgate Films The Spierig Brothers (directors); Josh Stolberg, Pete Goldfinger (screenplay); Tobin Bell, Mandela Van Peebles, Laura Vandervoort, Brittany Allen, Callum Keith Rennie, Matt Passmore Horror
USA
[306]
Novitiate Sony Pictures Classics Maggie Betts (director/screenplay); Margaret Qualley, Melissa Leo, Morgan Saylor, Dianna Agron, Julianne Nicholson, Liana Liberato, Denis O'Hare, Maddie Hasson Drama
USA
[307]

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women

Just now, XO21 said:

Basically the netflix generation (mine) just stayed at home  :sadben:

@TwoMisfits said it best. Maybe the marketing should've included exposing mainstream and young audiences to the first movie. I'm not sure where it's shown in schools, but I'd never heard of this and the first movie until 2 months ago. Apparently it's showing on SyFy this week, and is on YouTube to rent, but making it easily available by having it on Netflix or Amazon may have helped. The fact that it's a sequel promotes the idea that you need to watch the first one, despite assurances on the contrary. Plus yeah, these past few weeks haven't been pleasant. 

• Like 1

Jigsaw could open anywhere from 10-15M IMO. The social media numbers are there, but it'll be frontloaded no matter what.

Suburbicon is pretty much locked for a sub-10M OW and sub-25M total. Critics are not being kind to it, and Paramount still hasn't corrected the marketing to reflect the film's dark tone.

I'm not ready to discount Thank You yet, but I do worry that the subject matter isn't going to be very appealing like Detroit.

7 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

10% isn't true numbers. If they spent around 70-80 mln for distribution, it doesn't make sense. They believe in 800-900 mln Dom ;) gor BR? I don't think so.

May be WB has all right for TV rights and HV market. Yes, it looks more realistic.

Chance are that Sony/Alcon are paying a share of the dom distribution cost (Apparently Alcon was in charge/control of the marketing) and a 70-80m domestic release is really a lot, Spider Man level, the average studio movie was around 70m WW, was probably in the 30 to 45m range domestic.

They had a very reasonable united state TV spending:

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/american-made-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-1202578260/

And considering the old age of the target audience, must have been the biggest spending of the release.

And they are also in charge of USA Home Entertainment like you suspected:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1856101/companycredits