raegr

What Were Some Box Office Predictions You Made in the Past That You Now Look Back and Laugh at?

Everything this year. I said Life, Alien, Fist Fight, Rough Night, The House, Emoji Movie, Blade Runner, and Kingsman would be big hits this year. Damn, Emoji was the most successful.... ouch I'm embarrassed.

but like wow I'm surprised! Get Out, IT, American Sniper, and Deadpool all did better than expected. As I expected even decent numbers for each of those films previously.

I thought about following movies would gross:

PoTC5- 500 (WW)

Spectre - 600 (WW)

MI5 - 800 (WW) :( 

Creed - 80 Dom and 150 OS

Billy Lynn - 100m Dom (Considering Ang Lee's track record)

Oblivion - 350 (WW)

The Revenant - 300 (WW)

Arrival - 100 (WW)

Deadpool - 1B (WW) :sadben:

The Magnificent Seven - 300 (WW)

In my case, basically, every Hobbit prediction. I spent too much time trying to convince people that it would make LOTR figures adjusting by inflation, both DOM and WW. If I remember well I was defending something like $50m in Spain, 120 OW and 440 DOM, and 1 billion OS. And that only for the first part... I was defending it could manage Titanic original run for the final film... I guess I was drunk when I said it :hahaha:

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎06 at 5:27 PM, Brainbug said:

I actually think Ultron was one of the most over-predicted blockbusters of all time. I remember 1,5B - 2B projections all over the place.

It did 1,4B...not so far from 1,5B

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, langer said:

It did 1,4B...not so far from 1,5B

True but a whole lot of people predicted It would outgross TA1 easily, hence the backlash after it "only" grossed 460M DOM and under the first one WW (although it increased OS which was very impressive).

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

True but a whole lot of people predicted It would outgross TA1 easily, hence the backlash after it "only" grossed 460M DOM and under the first one WW (although it increased OS which was very impressive).

yep 2015 was a rollercoaster of a year for us Box Office enthusiasts with Avengers, Jurassic World and Star Wars. 

• Like 1